Do you bf when u are sick?

Vone

Hi Mummies,

Been down with running nose and getting feverish. Was wondering if i could take some panadol flu tablets but im afraid the medication might pass on to my baby when im bfing him. Do you continue bfing when u're sick? Pls advise

Vone

spottycow

Yes it is perfectly ok to bf when u r sick. Just go to GP n tell him that u r bfing n need to take "safe" med.

Vone

ok thx alot. down with a crazy fever... and flu @_@

doc didnt dare give me any flu medicine coz he said if im going take i got to stop bf for 48hrs and asked me to bear with the flu... -.- and fever. drinks lots of fluid and only prescribed me with antibodtics..he even asked me to pump out the milk and dispose if i really want to take the medicine for fever and use cabbage leaves for 48hrs.. -.-

Last edited:

LuvMy2Kids

even if bb does get the virus, it's only very mild.

Yup, i agree..
I caught a cough more than 1 week haven't recover and i still keep BF my BB. But i'm wearing mask during BF..

Btw my BB still 'kena' my virus (running nose), but its only take 1 day after that she's fine.. Poor mommy me haven't recover.. :embarrassed:

jlimdan

Yup, i agree..
I caught a cough more than 1 week haven't recover and i still keep BF my BB. But i'm wearing mask during BF..

Btw my BB still 'kena' my virus (running nose), but its only take 1 day after that she's fine.. Poor mommy me haven't recover.. :embarrassed:
Hey LuvMy2Kids,

Why don't you drink back your own milk to boost your immunity as well since bm does boost immunity on bb.:001_302:

Alternatively, take more vitamins to help to recover faster.

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
plain panadol is fine... avoid the 'special' kinds meant for colds/menses etc.

also the little yellow pill for colds is fine.. can't remember the name. Prescribed by doctors... always puts me to sleep.

Apart from that, I'd up my vit C intake.. some times take echenia (sp??) as well.

I nurse come hell or high water... sick or not sick... have never stopped.

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
Vone, as discussed earlier...

your body is capable of building antibodies for baby even before you actually notice you have fallen ill. The antibodies will actually help to protect your baby from illness. :)