Do You Express Your Breastmilk After Latching?

Vone

Hi Mummies

Do you express your breastmilk after letting your little one latch on?

I heard it will help to increase milk supply~ But its tiring to express especially at nite. And won't know when baby will wake up for his next feed.

Please Advise

Agnes Josephine

hi there... Although I'm not an expert in BF, but I hope I can help you...

For what I know, after latching can also express out cuz to avoid engorgement... Only when your breasts are emptied with BM, then won't have engorgement... As for increasing BM, I would advise frequent expreessing out to stimulate the supply... JMHO...

sleepymama

Hi Vone

For me, i latched my baby on on-demand during the first 3 months before I went back to work. I started expressing only during the second month when I was building up enough stash before I returned to work.

If your aim is to increase milk supply, you could pump for 10 minutes after bfdg baby. The pumping is to tell the brain/body that more milk is needed. Nevermind if you could only pump out a miserable amount. If your baby cries for milk often, like every hourly, don't worry too much, as the milk comes in after about an hour. So, pump after breastfeeding baby. Do this for about a week or so, your milk supply should increase.

However one word of caution, do not over-do it as oversupply will give you another set of problems later! :eek:

We are usually very afraid we don't have enough milk for our babies, but trust your body okay, tell yourself YOU HAVE ENOUGH MILK FOR YOUR BABY, and just let your body do the work while you latch baby on every time she cries for milk. Your body will take the cue and produce just enough for your little one. When milk supply is established, it should be smooth sailing thereafter. :)

stonston

i do it...n i agree, oversupply gives u another set of probs...i have been trying to cut down for e past 2 mths...but till now...alamak!!! still have alot ar...always leak n engorged!!!

Vone

okok thx mummies ~ i was worried when he kept crying for milk and was wondering if its coz of my low milk supply

priscilla

It might be he has fallen asleep without drinking to fill his hungry so he wake up more and during first month, they does not take too much too so need to wake up frequent for feed.

You are doing a good job so far.

stonston

was taught feed on demand in 1st 6 wks, but my poor boi dunno how to latch properly...then refused to latch...so i had to pump out since i was having extremely bad engorgements....i pump out on regular basis for him (every 2 hrs)...onli in his 3rd wk then i successfully managed to latch him....then i continued to feed on demand (latch on)....but i still pumped cos got oversupply....

Vone

It might be he has fallen asleep without drinking to fill his hungry so he wake up more and during first month, they does not take too much too so need to wake up frequent for feed.

You are doing a good job so far.
thx priscilla. sometimes i get to tired to pump out after him latching on >_< wont know when he's gonna wake up for his next feed.