Do you have time to massage your breast when baby crying for milk?

wuming79

Hi,

Is it advisable to still massage the breast when baby is awake and crying for milk? We are having the issue of baby not opening her mouth when she is not awake but when she is awake, she cries for milk and there is no time to massage the breast. Another problem is, the milk supply in the breast is still low. Not sure if without massage, will baby still latch on.

We have been to the lactation nurse for consultation, but she advied to keep pumping diligently every 3 hours. We have been doing it for 5 days and it is still 20-30 ml per pump sessions. Pls help.

Stressed father for mum and daughter...

Firstly u gotta watch your baby hunger cue. Crying is a late sign. U gotta latch the baby before he cries. I wont massage the breast if the baby is crying. In fact my lc told me I dun need to massage since its not lumpy. Latch on demand and your supply will increase after a few days

Pumping volume is not a good way to determine supply. If your baby can latch, larching on demand is better than pumping 3 hrly.

melanie3

hi,
you dont need to massage your breast when ur baby is crying for milk. you can try massaging from time to time especially when you know it's about time your baby needs the next feeding. also, you cannot determine your baby's milk intake by judging from the milk expressed.
i too, was very miserable during the first week of my motherhood. the milk i was able to pump out is not even 1ounce from both breast totalled. if you're worried your baby is not getting enough milk, give a little formula. i pump diligently, every 2hours because my baby feeds 2hourly during her first 2weeks. pump everytime you feed her. i feed her on demand. it's very tiring, i barely get enough sleep but it paid off at least. remember to also drink plenty of soup and water.
i'm now pumping up 4-7oz regularly (3hourly) and sometimes even more.
you can get fenugreek supplement also to increase milk supply.