Do you spank your kids to discipline them?

Carlisle

I've been told it's not good to resort to spanking when trying to discipline your children, but sometimes I just can't help it. What other methods do you use in order to discipline your kids?

rainbow123

i use rubber band to "shoot" my 15 month toddler .
Now if she is about to misbehave , i will take out the rubber band and wave it at her , she will immediately tone down . :001_302:

ping26

Sometimes, I warn her using a low & stern voice. Sometimes, I use a chirpy voice.

I wait for abt 10 counts cos toddlers r distractable and slow to respond.

If she doesn't listen, I use time-out. I put my baby in crib & let her cry for 2-3 min. Then I talk to her. After that, hug & kiss.

I have not spanked her yet. She's 25 mth old.

Generally, she's well behaved everywhere except with her cousins. Maybe they see each other too often.

noelsmum

My son gets a smack on his hands when he tries to get wire or electrical appliances. Of course, he gets warnings before the smacks. I know he's only 9 months old but he does understand what we're saying. After the smacks he does not seem to try to get the wires again. Sure he forgets and in 2 or 3 days he does the same again.

i use rubber band to "shoot" my 15 month toddler .
Now if she is about to misbehave , i will take out the rubber band and wave it at her , she will immediately tone down . :001_302:
hmm, have to take care though - sometimes the rubber band might just snap and can be dangerous

my son has been spanked and he knows why he's spanked. more commonly though, it's the naughty corner - of what he himself terms, the thinking corner. sometimes just warning him i'm going to send him there is good enough... haha

heshan

Wow! I don't physically touch my child at all. I think there are other ways to guide them in the right direction and the rubber band thing istaking things a bit far. I agree, it's dangerous.

sunflowerseed

hmm, have to take care though - sometimes the rubber band might just snap and can be dangerous

my son has been spanked and he knows why he's spanked. more commonly though, it's the naughty corner - of what he himself terms, the thinking corner. sometimes just warning him i'm going to send him there is good enough... haha
the naughty corner concept the suppernanny document series like to use one. seems to work but donoe in long term still will have effects or not.

ling.er

Use to tell my son 打打 when he was 9mth++ so nw when he trying to pull the wire or touch it we were tell him 打打 lo.. He will make a bitter face after tat then cry if we nv hug/sayang him..

* somehw sometime i bit his butt while i tell him wat he did wrong.. *

Carlisle

Use to tell my son 打打 when he was 9mth++ so nw when he trying to pull the wire or touch it we were tell him 打打 lo.. He will make a bitter face after tat then cry if we nv hug/sayang him..

* somehw sometime i bit his butt while i tell him wat he did wrong.. *
I think that's what is important, to gently communicate with the kid why you did it, why he was spanked. It will, for sure, build a great relationship between the kid and the parent/s.

shopaholic

The first resort is always to tell them what is right and wrong. When it didnt go well, I will smack the hands. If they still continue, then I'll take out the cane. Yes, I hv used the cane before and they are scared. As of now, I just need to wave the cane and they will stop their nonsense. Thankfully, they are generally well behaved so chances of me using the cane is kind of rare.

For my 19 mth old, the most I hv went is smacking his hands. He hasnt misbehave till I hv to wave the cane yet. :p

The first resort is always to tell them what is right and wrong. When it didnt go well, I will smack the hands. If they still continue, then I'll take out the cane. Yes, I have used the cane before and they are scared. As of now, I just need to wave the cane and they will stop their nonsense. Thankfully, they are generally well behaved so chances of me using the cane is kind of rare.

For my 19 month old, the most I have went is smacking his hands. He hasnt misbehave till I have to wave the cane yet. :p

Fully agree with shopaholic. Cane should only be used as the ultimate.

Coming from experience and feedback from my girls as they are much older now, they could recall the spanking tho' it was only a couple of times. They agreed that they should spank as that helps them to remember not to repeat again. They did say it's important to explain to them why??? otherwise, they wouldn't have understood now.

the naughty corner concept the suppernanny document series like to use one. seems to work but donoe in long term still will have effects or not.
the naughty corner is not meant as a punishment. the underlying intent is for the kid to - over time and as he grows older - think and reflect on the episode. in fact, on his own initiative, my son has started calling it the thinking corner instead. the parent is supposed to follow up after the time out is up and process with the kid. we just came back from a holiday today and my sister is amused we already established a naughty corner in the hotel room the 5 days we were there

znljubica

I am against the spank. Its effects are short-lived.
I think it is better to first, warn a child not to do something you do not want, to explain why, if child do not hear, there are 2 ways.
First, if what he is doing is not dangerous for the child, let him experience the consequences of their not obedience.
Second, if there is a danger to the child, approach him and prevent them from falling into danger.
So it is with adult children, they are very much like to discuss. A parent needs to be determined, if something is "not", then it is "not", no debate.

ling.er

Parent may spank & use cane on their kids but in another way they feel pain also when they hit on their own children..

1st i will SAY to him y this cannot & tat cannot
2nd If dun listen i carry him & bit his butt
3rd AGAIN DUN LISTEN - I bit even hard - This time he will cry & wan mi to sayang.. Mean time i will conti say y this cannot & tat cannot...

Overall they are children ..toward other thing mayb curious .

Say is easily than do it..
I stil trying to be a Good mum ^^

Jia you all Mummies !!

Triquetra

I try to avoid using physical punishment but some times really dont know what to do with her. Approaching 2 I guess she is really testing me and my hubby's patience...

My hubby spanked her arm pretty hard yesterday after she continued to hit him with his handphone a few times and when scolded threw the handphone on the floor in frustration =.="

sunflowerseed

i think cannot give in too much or they will start throwing bigger temper and throwing/destroying things. i think after spanking must explain and make sure they understand what they did wrong to deserve being punished.

jo_mum

i think cannot give in too much or they will start throwing bigger temper and throwing/destroying things. i think after spanking must explain and make sure they understand what they did wrong to deserve being punished.
I agree! If I try to tolerate my toddler's nonsense, he will really have no limits. I have to take out the cane to tone him down but he always knows why I'm hitting him coz I will warn him or shout at him a few times first before using the cane. Children are like that, like to test parent's patience.