Does anyone with short nipple having difficulties in breastfeeding?

Hebrews

I have big bust but both my nipples are short... Whenever I bf, I would feel pain during the initial latch-on (no problem after latching on) and it's bothering me... I tried using breast milk & nipple cream to apply on my nipple but it still does not help... I've ask friend to see if I've latched on correctly & they say yes...

The pain is more intense in the morning (cos the breast is fuller) and evening (cos after a full day of breastfeeding)...

Because of the pain, I express but still not enough thus supplement with formula... Tried taking fenugreek & blessed thistle to catch up with my supply (vs demand) Sometimes the pain is too much, I let my breast rest for 1-2 days by just purely expressing...

Anyone has this problem? How do you resolve it?

msck

Did u just give birth? Usually the first few weeks are quite painful. But Mine became longer over time... after abt 1 mth, my nipple looks longer n no longer pain from bf.

And Usually before I bf, I will massage it a bit and pull it longer... so bb can latch on easily n wont anyhow bite.

Hebrews

Hi Msck,

My BB is 3 months old already... I did all that plus using a nipple puller :( but I stop using nipple puller recently cos when I use, bm comes out as well...

Thanks for replying :)

vel

I just give birth on last Sunday , my right nipple is quiet short so the advice is to do the football hold at the start . It kinda work for me . Have you tried??

lyra

I had one short nipple. The key is persistence. Baby prefers the other longer nipple but I keep putting him on both breasts equally. Its easy to think baby doesn't like the short nipple so I don't latch him on there. But ur breasts will become one big one small if u do that! Happened for my friend n that short nipple breasts milk is drying up. So I persisted n overtime, the short nipple is pulled long by my baby's powerful sucking. Lots of hard work and pain but possible.