Does contraction pains feels the same as diarrhoea pains?

piggie

Hi mummies,

Would like to seek advices from mummies who have oredi successfully battled contraction pains before.. Am abt week 30 into e pregnancy.

Is the pain of having contractions anywhere near or same as the feeling you get( the churning in the stomach) when you are having diarrhoea or having the runs?

I have read from postings here that contractions are like bad menses cramp, that i think i can still tahan, as i am hoping for near drugs free birth only with aid of maybe the gas...
But... If its gonna feel like diarrhoea pains... I dun think i can 忍 lor >.<

Coz i think i ate sOmething wrong juz now, end up sitting on the toilet bowl having the runs.. The tummy pain(churning feeling) came in intervals of like 2-3mins and i was all so ready to die lor... :embarrassed::nah:

So...tat feeling made me very apprehensive abt my decision for a near drug free birth.. Hope mummies here can help share their experience.

Tks!:Dancing_tongue:

marshmallows

For me contraction pain is like really intense menses cramp. And I really mean very very very INTENSE cramp, so much so that I felt like my body is going to break into half (no joke!). It never felt like diarrhea or churning to me though some of my friends experienced it. Maybe cos my water broke first then I felt contraction pains.

I relied on laughing gas during my birth. Actually I wanted epidural later on cos cannot tahan the pain already but I dilated too fast. Was already 9cm so they told me cannot take epi. If you aiming for drugfree birth, you have to really focus yourself and n tell yourself you can do it. Breathing the correct way helps alot also. That was what I did after knowing I can't take epi. Thought I was gonna die but I changed my mindset n kept going until my son pop out LOL!

Last edited:

piggie

Hmm... So long its menses cramp like pains... Maybe still gt hope to tahan. Haha.. :001_302:
Haiz.. Realli dunno wat to expect oso.

Dun seem to be putting on weight too.. 2 weeks only gained 300g and bb only gained 100g, @ 30 weeks onli 1.4kg.. Hope 4 e best lor.. >.<

Astera

For me contraction pain is like really intense menses cramp. And I really mean very very very INTENSE cramp, so much so that I felt like my body is going to break into half (no joke!). It never felt like diarrhea or churning to me though some of my friends experienced it. Maybe cos my water broke first then I felt contraction pains.

I relied on laughing gas during my birth. Actually I wanted epidural later on cos cannot tahan the pain already but I dilated too fast. Was already 9cm so they told me cannot take epi. If you aiming for drugfree birth, you have to really focus yourself and n tell yourself you can do it. Breathing the correct way helps alot also. That was what I did after knowing I can't take epi. Thought I was gonna die but I changed my mindset n kept going until my son pop out LOL!
Izit reali tat painful?? >.< sounds scary~

raranana

hi all mommies and ladies. I'm also curious as to how contractions really feel like, and i'm already at the 37+4 weeks! Problem is, I've never had menses cramp before in my life. My menses have always been moderate and not exceeding six days. I've never experiences cramps or PMS or anything related to that! So now that I'm pregnant, I'm having trouble figuring out whether i'm actually having braxton hicks contractions or i'm just constipating! When i read up, everybody says it's like menses cramp, but i have no idea how menses cramps is in the first place! lmao.

I guess I'll just have to wait for some type of cramping that really makes me cry out, then i'd know i'm in real labour.

XenXuan

Agree it feels like v v intense menses cramp that gone so pain body can break into half.. I almost fell off the bed due to the pain n I was kicking n freaking out on the bed.. I depended on laughing gas for my 2nd baby too,was on epidural for 1st.. Both started labor with menses cramp which gone worse.. For those who nv had menses cramp before(so good sia), it feels like pain at ur left side lower tummy that will emerge out to the whole lower tummy abdominal start to pain n squeeze together feeling.. Dun worry,when actual labor starts,u will automatically know it as ur body won't be to handle the pain no matter how high your pain threshold are haha..

Astera

Agree it feels like v v intense menses cramp that gone so pain body can break into half.. I almost fell off the bed due to the pain n I was kicking n freaking out on the bed.. I depended on laughing gas for my 2nd baby too,was on epidural for 1st.. Both started labor with menses cramp which gone worse.. For those who nv had menses cramp before(so good sia), it feels like pain at ur left side lower tummy that will emerge out to the whole lower tummy abdominal start to pain n squeeze together feeling.. Dun worry,when actual labor starts,u will automatically know it as ur body won't be to handle the pain no matter how high your pain threshold are haha..
omg~ sound so scary. >.<
i had very intense menses cramp before tat i feel like dying.

summertime

when i started to feel the contraction the pain is like mens cramp. I tot i can tahan, ltr on the cramp feel like someone keep stepping onto my tummy super hard.. dat is when i call for epidural. But at the end is still depend on your pain threshold. I can say after the epidural , i super relax ....=D

marshmallows

omg~ sound so scary. >.<
i had very intense menses cramp before tat i feel like dying.
Don't worry too much. I used to borrow DVDs on childbirth from the library when I was in my 3rd trimester and got totally freaked out watching the mummies screaming and all. I was so scared that at some point I asked myself why have I gotten pregnant to go through all these LOL.

Don't keep thinking about how it's going to be like. You can be mentally prepared but dont let it get on your nerves too much. When your labour starts, you just might be surprised to find the courage and strength which you never thought you had. Just relax and look forward to cuddling your little precious one :).

Also, do enjoy these final weeks of being pregnant! Take lots of belly pics! Cos you are surely gonna miss being pregnant as your little one grow up! I really do!! Awww!

Last edited:

raeka

Dun worried too much, yup contraction is really very painful and tear to half.
u just relax urself u when u r in contraction . as u too tense up u difficult to dilate.
I use laughing gas and without epidural .

Dun read too much wait u scare.. dunno better then know ..

ast0212

When it comes to active labour it really does feel like you need to poo. Pushing your baby out is like doing a really big poo. For me it didn't hurt when baby was coming out, and thank God no tearing too.

I remember it being really intense, not painful till I want to die, just intense. You can definitely do it without drugs or epi, that's how millions of women gave birth since beginning of time :) Deep breathing exercises really help. I used gas and found that the only thing it did was it gave me something to do and focus on, it didn't help the intensity of contractions at all!

Don't worry, you will forget any pain once your beautiful baby is out :)

XenXuan

ya dun worry or anxious too much.. juz keep a relax mind,for some ppl,labor is so easy even if its their 1st baby.. juz keep breathing in n out deeply when contractions come,try to concentrade on something else,distract urself,it will be over n done with before u know it.. its good to read up some knowledge in this but dun be scared by how the process it.. many women did it n overcame it,why cant u? juz think in ancient times,there's no laughing gas,epidural all that,those women oso can overcome labor,we r much better already..

lyra

I had Braxton hicks contraction in my 6th mth. Felt like dying already. Mind goes blank n just grab hubby's hand, praying for the contractions to end soon. Was in an MRT then. So I believe the real one being more intense, stronger n frequency higher, shd b 100 times more painful. I'm definitely gng for epidural. I dun think labour will b easy, otherwise those women in documentaries or dramas I watched won't b screaming like that!

XenXuan

Sometimes there r situation where epidural can't be used or rather too late.. If u r dilating v fast or 7cm dilated, u can't get epidural.. By then u can only depend on laughing gas n ur own determination to get the labor over n done with ASAP.. BH can be v painful, juz remember to breathe,deep slow breathing can help relief the pain alot.. If it's really too painful,juz keep breathing in n out.. I know as I went thru labor with n without epidural.. It was too painful for me to concentrate on deep breathing,the midwife told me juz breath in n out.. Try distract urself when u r in BH or contractions,try not to scream/cry(as it won't help relief but make ur breathing harder)..

piggie

I am in my 34/35week. I just got a lot of whole tummy tightening feeling.. Doesnt feel painful, juz a bit uncomfortable as its so tight.. Wonder if those are BH? Or juz e baby stretching?? :nah:

nattynat

I am in my 34/35week. I just got a lot of whole tummy tightening feeling.. Doesnt feel painful, juz a bit uncomfortable as its so tight.. Wonder if those are BH? Or juz e baby stretching?? :nah:
i've these too... think should be braxton hicks
i'm just aftraid it's the real thing without me knowing... >.<

Alisa

im now in week 30 and since last night, have been having sharp pain at the bottom right of my tummy... don know what is it... i will go off awhile then come back again.
not contraction right? cuz i heard contraction is on whole tummy wan.

ast0212

im now in week 30 and since last night, have been having sharp pain at the bottom right of my tummy... don know what is it... i will go off awhile then come back again.
not contraction right? cuz i heard contraction is on whole tummy wan.
I think I had something similar, because I was carrying quite low the bottom of my tummy often had stretched feelings.

Yep contractions are like braxton hicks, just more intense,