Doing confinement like a professional!

Win Won

Hi Ladies,

I need some advise on what to do doing confinement as I am first time preggie and my girlfriends are almostly married but without children...
I will not having a confinement lady but ordering confinement tingkat for my meals while my mother is helping me out on care of baby.

I will like any form of advise from:
(1) brand of dry hair shampoo to buy (since can't bath for a while)
(2) how soon am i allowed to bath?
(3) type of food/tonic that is rejuvenating for body after giving birth, on top of confinement tingkat food.
(4) how to breastfeed baby correctly
(5) how to interact or care for infant baby
(6) brands and types of baby products I shld get ready
(7) anything u will like to share?

Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited:

fkl28

hi win won,

I also had the same planning to do without confinement lady..however, after speaking to some older colleagues and friends on their experience and my mother who will help me out during the day..they prep me that it is going to be v exhausting..

My mother suggested engaging one cos nighttime is where i will need the rest.. can't just prepare for a baby that will be considerate to the mom... =S

My mother (and MIL) say best not to touch water within 2 weeks after birth..

Win Won

hi fkl28,

yes yes, a lot of people tell me it's not going to be easy. esp at night when we still need to constantly wake up and breastfeed.
hw even with confinement lady, we still need to wake up to feed right?

my mom will help me bath and change bb's diapers. so i think i'm just to breastfeed and eat/sleep with baby?

Judy0801

I juz finished mine

if u order the confinement meal, den ur mum gonna be so free.. no nd cook for u.. haha... only bath the baby.. if u breastfeed, she dun even nd to feed the baby... haha...

my in law always watch tv n slp... haha... but she cook for my big boy.... she do a lot house work in my hse.. haha... so nice...

ok... ur question..

ans: I bought 2 type.. no diff leh... so I think no nd chose brand...

ans: my in law boil herb water for me everyday bath.. can shower every day, and since u going use dry shampoo den u wan everyday spray also can... but I only use when nd go out and I start washing my hair after 2 wks after birth...

(3) type of food/tonic that is rejuvenating for body after giving birth, on top of confinement tingkat food.

ans: I din eat or drink any... I think confinement food is
gd enough... but u can drink dom everyday if u wan...

ans: dun worry... nurse at hospital will teach u every 3 hr... haha..

ans: I think the most important is be careful of the head... always hold the head as it is very soft...

ans: wah... there is so so so many things to buy... which one u wan to knw? oh ya... rmb to buy stuff for urself de also...

ans: any question u wan to know?

fkl28

Re: I juz finished mine

hi judy0801,
Thanks for sharing your experience..u survived it!!!

hi win win,
yes, i also thought so, just feed then sleep when the baby sleep..how difficult can it be..there are a lot of girls out there did it w/o CL. As long as not so perfectionist, should can, make it...
I also consider with CL around, I might not be comfortable.. I may even have less time with my baby..changing diapers n bathing have to practise also..else after one month..will be clueles..=S

But even my mom advise me to engage one ..I felt less confident even though i am quite independent... Cos even at week 24 now, sometimes i cry at night..I felt helpless even though it had not come yet..though i rationalised..perhaps it is the hormones..so i also a bit hesitant..after all, pregnancy is a big thing..n since i hear the advice, i should just follow in case..

Judy0801

I'm a lazy girl... haha

hi fkl28,

u know, I breastfeed in the day time n ask my in law to give formula milk at night so I can slp well... haha... but actually at night also keep waking up cos of the breast milk... haha.. if dun wake up and feed with breast milk, u will feel very very very uncomfortable and sometime pain....

day time and night time the same for me... keep resting on bed... 2 or 3 hr den feed... den rest again... haha... cos my in law stay with me so she look after the baby... she not tired at all cos baby also keep sleeping... den my in law keep watching drama... haha

I touch water everyday... cos I still nd to bath my big boy... I still nd wash hand, wash face, brush teeth everyday right... haha... hw to nt touch water for 2 wk?

its better to see hw to bath for baby when ur mum do that.. cos its very scary to bath for baby urself when ur confinement finish n ur mum went home... that time my baby keep crying... haha..

Win Won

if u order the confinement meal, den ur mum gonna be so free.. no nd cook for u.. haha... only bath the baby.. if u breastfeed, she dun even nd to feed the baby... haha...

my in law always watch tv n slp... haha... but she cook for my big boy.... she do a lot house work in my hse.. haha... so nice...

ok... ur question..

ans: I bought 2 type.. no diff leh... so I think no nd chose brand...

ans: my in law boil herb water for me everyday bath.. can shower every day, and since u going use dry shampoo den u wan everyday spray also can... but I only use when nd go out and I start washing my hair after 2 wks after birth...

ans: I din eat or drink any... I think confinement food is
gd enough... but u can drink dom everyday if u wan...

ans: dun worry... nurse at hospital will teach u every 3 hr... haha..

ans: I think the most important is be careful of the head... always hold the head as it is very soft...

ans: wah... there is so so so many things to buy... which one u wan to knw? oh ya... rmb to buy stuff for urself de also...

ans: any question u wan to know?
Hi Judy0801, thanks for the reply!!!

1. the dry shampoo, which brands u bought. i have not shop for that yet.

6. btw avent phillips and pigeon, any idea which brand of milk bottle, tips, pacifier, milk storage bag, sterilizer and food warmer is better?
my friend sold me her Medala Freestyle pump so I will be using that to express out my milk.

Win Won

hi judy0801,
Thanks for sharing your experience..u survived it!!!

hi win win,
yes, i also thought so, just feed then sleep when the baby sleep..how difficult can it be..there are a lot of girls out there did it w/o CL. As long as not so perfectionist, should can, make it...
I also consider with CL around, I might not be comfortable.. I may even have less time with my baby..changing diapers n bathing have to practise also..else after one month..will be clueles..=S

But even my mom advise me to engage one ..I felt less confident even though i am quite independent... Cos even at week 24 now, sometimes i cry at night..I felt helpless even though it had not come yet..though i rationalised..perhaps it is the hormones..so i also a bit hesitant..after all, pregnancy is a big thing..n since i hear the advice, i should just follow in case..
hi fakl28,
i also decided that i do without CL as like u not comfortable with stranger in house. if yr mum is helping in the day like changing nappies/diapers and bathing and feeding bb, u just need to pick up the skills esp changing and feeding only. it should not be so difficult. by the time yr baby is more stable and u finish confinement then learn how to bath bb. are u attending any prenatal class?

im also a quite independent person. don't be upset by the challenges…look our our grandmoms can handle their many children…we shld breeze thru things. just keep an open mind and u can do it! text yr friends, google in the internet, leave questions in forum, ask yr mil or mum and everything shld fall in place.
don't feel so helpless… help and advise can be everywhere esp if you have understding mom or mil.
crying also does not help but can reduce frustration…just look positively at yr pregnancy. :) things will fall into place. don't worry

Judy0801

hope my reply help

hi,

the dry shampoo I gt no comment woh... I juz buy the brand the guardian is selling woh...

for the milk bottle, u prefer plastic or glass? for me I chose the glass and there is limit brand for the glass bottle. I bought farlin bottle which is cheap. pigeon is ex ex ex lor... a small bottle over $20... haha...

breast milk storage bag I buy jaco ... cos its cheap... but gd quality... not thin... and can self stand... and its korean brand... haha...

pacifier I chose avent... cos I see not many brand selling n most common is avent so I bought tat...

sterilizer u wan steam or uv light de? I use pigeon for my first boy but I throw it away already... cos the metal part I dun knw n didn't take care of it and nw gt bits of metal part came out every time I use so I throw it away.. bought a uv light sterilizer which Is korean brand... can use it for any size of milk bottle n for pacifier too...

if u wan the milk warmer, go for those 2 in 1 or 4 in 1 de... can warm up milk n use as sterilizer too... some may use as to warm food and cook egg too...

Win Won

Re: hope my reply help

Hi Judy0801,
When u do confinement, other than confinement food, did you see TCM to tiao your body?

Also did you consume products like Su Ho Wan & Pai Feng Wan? If yes, u bought from where?

Any idea what herbs are used in red dates tea?

mama mel

Just to share, my first child I did not hire CL as I thought that having a maid would be sufficient. End up the maid did a good job with the baby, but not so with the cooking of confinement food. I had bad body aches etc since then. I guess if you not going to hire a CL, you need to do the necessary home work and staying positive helps a lot too!