Do's and Dont's on Low Lying Placenta

Ariana

Hi All,

Am in my 24th week now. I was in hospital for food poisoning few days ago, and found out during a scan that the baby's placenta is low lying.

I wasn't told that I could not do anything, except if bleeding occured, I should go to the hospital right away.

Hubby's pretty paranoid, not allowing me to go to work till the end week routine checkup results. Adding to this worry, I have extreme backaches and some water retention that makes the bottoms of my feet hurt when I walk.

Any advise? Many thanks..... :)

angelwendy

Hi All,

Am in my 24th week now. I was in hospital for food poisoning few days ago, and found out during a scan that the baby's placenta is low lying.

I wasn't told that I could not do anything, except if bleeding occured, I should go to the hospital right away.

Hubby's pretty paranoid, not allowing me to go to work till the end week routine checkup results. Adding to this worry, I have extreme backaches and some water retention that makes the bottoms of my feet hurt when I walk.

Any advise? Many thanks..... :)

For low-lying placenta.. u can't have sex or carry heavy things.... as long as no bleeding should be ok.... some doc will advice u to bed rest... can understand ur hubby is worried.. which i think is good.. at least he cares.. right?? water retention is very very normal.. i having it too.. feet is swollen... as for the backaches just try not to lie flat when on bed... may i know how many month r u??

xicloudix

heard that water retention muz drink lots of water ... backaches if you are sitting down, put a pillow behind ur back, try not to lie flat on ur back.

For low lying placenta, dun walk too much, dun carry heavy items, dun squat too much, try rest more... most doc will order bed rest...

since ur doc did not really restrict you from doing anything, it may means that ur case is not very serious, as long as you becareful can liao... dun stress urself too much too, not good for baby..

sunburst

It depends on the severity of the case... is the placenta covering the cervix?
Best is to consult your gynae to confirm. But in the meantime no strenous activities and no carrying of heavy objects.

I had mid-to-low lying placenta for my previous pregnancy, but thankfully it moved higher in my 3rd trimester and I could go for natural delivery.

Ariana

Thank you all...

I'm at my 24th week....

Currently waiting for my routine checkup this Friday, 15 Jan....

Just hoping it's alright. Laying off work till after the checkup as my job needs me to move around alot... :)

Renzie

I had low lying placenta earlier on as well, but it has already moved up. Doc told me not to overexert myself and try to get as much bed rest as possible. So don't worry.

Ariana

My gynae says that so far my health is okay and yup it should move up further along the pregnancy...

Just waiting for another scan on the 4th Feb to confirm everything's okay....

Feeling relieved... :D

Renzie

Don't worry it'll be fine. Mine has already moved up, and there's no worries about it. XD. I had still went around doing stuff I did when doctor told me that I had low lying placenta, just that I try not to over exert myself and take breaks once in a while.

Doc did tell me not to worry too much about it that time, as she said that it might move upwards later on.

hmm... i'm carrying my baby on the lower side. but no mention by my gynae at the 20 weeks scan that placenta was low. she only said shouldn't be a prob for the bb but might cause me some discomfort.
went for prenatal yoga class and the instructor randomly asked if gynae mentioned anything abt low placenta. hmmm... is carrying the bb at lower position a symptom on low placenta?