dr benjamin tham wai lum

yakii

Hi, just to share, my girl was also induced and delivered by Dr Tham in Dec 09. He offered me the option of inducing near my edd (which is also the date he's flying off) or to go overdue and have my baby delivered by John Tee, who would be covering him in his absence.

My hubby and I opted for the former as we wanted our baby to be delivered by someone we were comfortable with.

My labour was very long, 30hrs from insertion of first tablet at 5.30am on 5 Dec 09. Dr Tham scheduled me for 3 tablets, but my contractions started almost immediatelyafter the first one. When Dr Tham came to check on me at 7am, he said that I'm having mild contractions already, which was good. He expected I would probably need to have a second tablet inserted at 2pm. In the end that didn't happen. I began feeling the pain about 3 hours later. By noon, I was experiencing intense period-like pain, but still mobile. At 2pm, the pain was already unbearable, I could hardly stand it. Sent back to delivery suite for second tab, but contractions were already 2-3 min apart. So pushed into the delivery room.

Given gas for pain relief (didn't work), and pethidine (thigh jab) took a long time to start working, and didn't help much. By then I was in so much pain I'd actually blacked out from it plus the effects of the gas. Dr Tham came to check on me in the late afternoon, but despite the strong regular contractions, I wasn't dilated at all. Cervix not even softening. So he told my husband to put the gas mask on me almost continuously as I was only semi-conscious. Put on drip to help muscles relaxed, as my muscles were tensed. (All this was recounted to me by my hubby, I had no clear memories of what happened other than constant pain by then).

About 2 hours later, Dr Tham came again, and this time the cervix was still closed, but softer, so he stretched to open it and ordered epidural to be given first before coming back to break my waterbag at about 10 plus at night , as I was still in a lot of pain despite using the gas and pethidine together. Also started on oxytocin and antibiotics drips. When Dr Tham came to break the waterbag, I was still only 1 cm dilated so it took him a few tries to break it.

Epi was wonderful.. 100% pain block (at first). But I suffered from its side effects - skin itchiness, shivering, vomitting. By about 4am, I began to feel some pain despite the epidural; the nurse said its because the drip had finished, and she'd yet to start a new one. By 7am, Dr Tham called the ward to check on my progress, and we were asked if we'll consider c-section, as I wasn't dilating - still only 1-2cm after breaking waterbag for several hours. The contractions were however so strong that my baby's heartbeat was distressed, and I was given medication to help boost baby's heartbeat.

We were happy to hear that I was being offered c-section, as I'd been in the delivery room for more than 18-19hrs by then, and suffering a lot. Dr Tham told the nurse on the phone that he'll give me a few more hours and come in to check on me at around 10-11am.

In the meantime, I was in a lot of pain despite the epidural (they'd started a new one; my fourth epi!). Asked midwife whether it'll be painful having c-section on epi, she said there'll be no pain at all. Of course I didn't believe her - I was already feeling pain through the epi!

Finally, at 9 plus in the morning, about 3 cm dilated. !0am, 4cm. When Dr Tham came to check on me about 20 minutes later, he said I was already 8cm. In the meantime I was in intense pain, so much so that I forgot to mention it to him.

As I'd been complaining and complaining about the pain to the midwife, she finally got the anaesthetist to come in and check. He saw that the baby was crowning already, so he switched off the epidural!!! I was already in excruciating pain by then, and he actually increased it instead of relieving my pain... sob. I'd fully expected to give birth with epidural, so I totally wasn't prepared to deliver without pain relief.

Think my body doesn't respond well to the pain relief options available - as I pushed, I could feel Dr Tham snipping (the episiotomy) even though he gave me a local anaesthetic, and I could feel the pain as he stitched after baby was born. Plus I ended up using all 3 forms of pain relief available for labour (gas, thigh jab, epidural) and was in excruciating pain despite everything.

Seeing what I'd gone through, my hubby said this one baby is enough; no more kids for us. (he was in tears upon seeing how much I'd suffered).

In all, I was in the delivery suite for 27 hours. (plus another 3 hours spent at the ward before the contraction pains got too bad). And for the first few hours after birth, as well as the next few weeks that followed, I actually resented my baby for putting me through so much pain.

Anyway, Dr Tham was wonderfully reassuring each time he came to check in on me, but my labour was terrible! I suppose there wasn't much he could have done about the pain I felt.

I heard that induced labours are generally quite fast but more painful, though my experience is probably somewhat atypical.. given a choice, I wouldn't want to be induced ever again now that I know my body doesn't respond well in terms of dilating, and to the pain relievers.

Hope this doesn't scare you off though.. =)
Yeah i got to agree that u gone thru alot of pain..but when i give birth during Oct 09, i had the same feeling as u as the epidural is not effective after 2 hr or so..so when Dr Tham came in to check on me, I told him abt it as i am still able to feel my feet. So he ask the midwife to check again and they added the dose.

But ur suffering is onli 27hr..i gone thru of 5days of shock and pain and distress when my waterbag burst during my 33weeks. I could feel the pain but Dr Tham dun allow me to deliver yet as the baby is not yet 2kg and there is a hospital rule that if the baby heart rate is still good they will wait..so i was given medicine to stop the contraction but the medicine got a side effect of very bad headache and feeling of puking. Till when i was 33 weeks and 5days the medicine dun work and the contraction is so bad despite the drip and the medicine cant help then he allow me to go into labour. And again waited for another 12hr b4 my baby is born.

But i got to agree that Dr Tham is indeed a very good gynae that his prediction is so correct as things is all under his control..his stitching is wondering as i dun feel anything after that and u r even tighter then before ha ahaa. I have never regret choosing him as my gynae for both my pregnancy.

babybull

Err... I was in pain when he stitched (the local anaesthetic didn't take effect until too late) and my stitches continued to give me a lot of pain for 3 whole weeks after delivery even though i took all the prescribed painkillers... finished the entire pack actually...

And my husband (who was watching the entire process) said I had more than 10 stitches!!

I know most ppl said that his stitches are not painful. Maybe I have low pain threshold?

yakii

Err... I was in pain when he stitched (the local anaesthetic didn't take effect until too late) and my stitches continued to give me a lot of pain for 3 whole weeks after delivery even though i took all the prescribed painkillers... finished the entire pack actually...

And my husband (who was watching the entire process) said I had more than 10 stitches!!

I know most ppl said that his stitches are not painful. Maybe I have low pain threshold?
More then 10 stitches?? how big is ur baby at birth?? My 1st boy was 3kg at birth and i had onli 5 stitches. And my gal cos she is premature at 2kg i had 1 stitch. Now 3 mth after delivery, start my love making but no problem at all. Dun have pain at the stitch

babybull

Hmm my baby is quite small leh. Only 2.7kg, which is why i'm surprised that I needed so many stitches.. Maybe cos its my first baby?

yakii

Hmm my baby is quite small . Only 2.7kg, which is why i'm surprised that I needed so many stitches.. Maybe cos its my first baby?
I guess maybe is due to the moment when the baby is coming out is rushing too fast and cos the tear.

angelwendy

Hi to all mummy under Dr Benjamin Tham.. just wanna ask did any mummy requested for induce at about 38 weeks preggy when under him... Will he suggest u to wait or he will be ok with it?? cause i was thinking of wanna a induce a few days earlier before my EDD...

babybull

Hi,
i think it depends on you and your baby's condition. When Dr Tham suggested at 38-39 wks about inducing on my edd (due to low amniotic fluid), My hubby did ask Dr Tham if can induce earlier, but doc wasn't keen. He said that if you try to induce too early and baby isn't ready yet, you may end up having c-section.

Is your baby big? cos i know quite a few other patients of Dr Tham were induced earlier at around 37 wks due to baby's size

Last edited:

angelwendy

Hi,
i think it depends on you and your baby's condition. When Dr Tham suggested at 38-39 wks about inducing on my edd (due to low amniotic fluid), My hubby did ask Dr Tham if can induce earlier, but doc wasn't keen. He said that if you try to induce too early and baby isn't ready yet, you may end up having c-section.

Is your baby big? cos i know quite a few other patients of Dr Tham were induced earlier at around 37 wks due to baby's size

me baby last tue which is on 2 feb is about 2.5kg... Dr Tham say that is a good weight.... so my next appt with him will be on this Saturday... i think gotta see the weight of my baby already... im having sign of cramp & BH more painful now.. & also come and goes... so i know is not the real thing yet... maybe body is getting ready for birth... & also will feel a bit pain on my virgnal... actually my EDD is 1 march... i just wanna request 3 days earlier....:embarrassed: might ask him on my next appt see wat he say....

Hi to all mummy under Dr Benjamin Tham.. just wanna ask did any mummy requested for induce at about 38 weeks preggy when under him... Will he suggest you to wait or he will be ok with it?? cause i was thinking of wanna a induce a few days earlier before my EDD...
hi.. usually he will see if your cervix is thinnig/soft/dilated already or not and if baby's weight is good and you're beyond 37weeks.

for me at 36weeks i was hospitalised for regular contraction and my cervix already dilate about 2.5cm, baby's weight 3.2kg.. he has planned to induce me anyway.. cos he said if want natural birth he won't allow the baby tobe more than 3.5kg
however i get to choose the date.. so i delivered at 37weeks2days and my baby weigh 3.4kg. the date was special for me and hubby, it's 22nd of nov. we dated since year 2002, hubby birthday is 22nd, our wedding 22nd and my birthday is 2nd. so number 2 is our lucky number :)

Last edited:

angelwendy

hi.. usually he will see if your cervix is thinnig/soft/dilated already or not and if baby's weight is good and you're beyond 37weeks.

for me at 36weeks i was hospitalised for regular contraction and my cervix already dilate about 2.5cm, baby's weight 3.2kg.. he has planned to induce me anyway.. cos he said if want natural birth he won't allow the baby tobe more than 3.5kg
however i get to choose the date.. so i delivered at 37weeks2days and my baby weigh 3.4kg. the date was special for me and hubby, it's 22nd of nov. we dated since year 2002, hubby birthday is 22nd, our wedding 22nd and my birthday is 2nd. so number 2 is our lucky number :)

Oh ok.. thanks:001_302: hmmm i guess i just need to talk to him about wat i feel & see wat he can advise me....

chewnlow

hey mummies / mummies-to-be,

Dr Tham is going to move to TMC, does anyone know? The last I went to see him (my post delivery check up), he mentioned this to me and that he will send each and every of his patients informing them as such.

Likelihood is I'm gonna stick with him (if I'm gonna have my second one, that is) :)

angelwendy

Dr Tham is going to move to Thomson Medical Center, does anyone know? The last I went to see him (my post delivery check up), he mentioned this to me and that he will send each and every of his patients informing them as such.

Likelihood is I'm gonna stick with him (if I'm gonna have my second one, that is) :)
Hi thanks for this info.. But may I know when will he be moving to tmc?? I might ask him to induce me next Saturday.. I hope he can deliver my baby for me..

chewnlow

Hi thanks for this info.. But may I know when will he be moving to Thomson Medical Center?? I might ask him to induce me next Saturday.. I hope he can deliver my baby for me..
hey, he didnt say exactly when ... but until now, i have not received the notification letter from him ... so i reckon he should still be at KK now.

all the best for your delivery!! the midwives under Dr Tham are splendid. I'm sure you'd have a good experience in the delivery suite! :)

angelwendy

hey, he didnt say exactly when ... but until now, i have not received the notification letter from him ... so i reckon he should still be at KK now.

all the best for your delivery!! the midwives under Dr Tham are splendid. I'm sure you'd have a good experience in the delivery suite! :)

Thanks.. i hope that he will still stay in KKH till i birth...:001_302: i hope my baby will be out fast...

babybull

Dr Tham is going to move to Thomson Medical Center, does anyone know? The last I went to see him (my post delivery check up), he mentioned this to me and that he will send each and every of his patients informing them as such.

Hi i went back to see him last week, (still having bleeding 10 wks after delivery), he didn't mention anything though... Will he really inform all his patients on the change? I wish to stick with him for second kid and other gynae-related checks too...

Do you know if he inform former patients too, or only existing ones?

Last edited:

chewnlow

Hi i went back to see him last week, (still having bleeding 10 wks after delivery), he didn't mention anything though... Will he really inform all his patients on the change? I wish to stick with him for second kid and other gynae-related checks too...

Do you know if he inform former patients too, or only existing ones?
oh... that i'm really not sure... actually, i'm considered a "former" patient too, cos i was informed by him when i went back for my 6 weeks post delivery checkup then.

don't worry la ... i'm sure he'll inform each and every of his patients, existing or former :) ... just a matter of time :)

yakii

oh... that i'm really not sure... actually, i'm considered a "former" patient too, cos i was informed by him when i went back for my 6 weeks post delivery checkup then.

dont't worry ... i'm sure he'll inform each and every of his patients, existing or former :) ... just a matter of time :)
So sad to hear that..will want to follow to Thomson but i am a CSC holder and if i go Thomson all my benefit will no longer able to use. Haizzz

babybull

Haha I'm a csc holder too but its totally rubbish one leh... i'm under the new scheme so its completely worthless. Only $350 per year. Will definitely follow Dr Tham over since that's not a consideration.. =P

bakaholic

When is Dr. Tham officially starts in Thomson Medical Center? I am looking for a gynae package. 1st trimester almost over.
So, he only sees patients in Thomson Medical Center or he has another clinic somewhere else?

Thanks!

cmeilim

Hi, just to share, my girl was also induced and delivered by Dr Tham in Dec 09. He offered me the option of inducing near my edd (which is also the date he's flying off) or to go overdue and have my baby delivered by John Tee, who would be covering him in his absence.

My hubby and I opted for the former as we wanted our baby to be delivered by someone we were comfortable with.

My labour was very long, 30hrs from insertion of first tablet at 5.30am on 5 Dec 09. Dr Tham scheduled me for 3 tablets, but my contractions started almost immediatelyafter the first one. When Dr Tham came to check on me at 7am, he said that I'm having mild contractions already, which was good. He expected I would probably need to have a second tablet inserted at 2pm. In the end that didn't happen. I began feeling the pain about 3 hours later. By noon, I was experiencing intense period-like pain, but still mobile. At 2pm, the pain was already unbearable, I could hardly stand it. Sent back to delivery suite for second tab, but contractions were already 2-3 min apart. So pushed into the delivery room.

Given gas for pain relief (didn't work), and pethidine (thigh jab) took a long time to start working, and didn't help much. By then I was in so much pain I'd actually blacked out from it plus the effects of the gas. Dr Tham came to check on me in the late afternoon, but despite the strong regular contractions, I wasn't dilated at all. Cervix not even softening. So he told my husband to put the gas mask on me almost continuously as I was only semi-conscious. Put on drip to help muscles relaxed, as my muscles were tensed. (All this was recounted to me by my hubby, I had no clear memories of what happened other than constant pain by then).

About 2 hours later, Dr Tham came again, and this time the cervix was still closed, but softer, so he stretched to open it and ordered epidural to be given first before coming back to break my waterbag at about 10 plus at night , as I was still in a lot of pain despite using the gas and pethidine together. Also started on oxytocin and antibiotics drips. When Dr Tham came to break the waterbag, I was still only 1 cm dilated so it took him a few tries to break it.

Epi was wonderful.. 100% pain block (at first). But I suffered from its side effects - skin itchiness, shivering, vomitting. By about 4am, I began to feel some pain despite the epidural; the nurse said its because the drip had finished, and she'd yet to start a new one. By 7am, Dr Tham called the ward to check on my progress, and we were asked if we'll consider c-section, as I wasn't dilating - still only 1-2cm after breaking waterbag for several hours. The contractions were however so strong that my baby's heartbeat was distressed, and I was given medication to help boost baby's heartbeat.

We were happy to hear that I was being offered c-section, as I'd been in the delivery room for more than 18-19hrs by then, and suffering a lot. Dr Tham told the nurse on the phone that he'll give me a few more hours and come in to check on me at around 10-11am.

In the meantime, I was in a lot of pain despite the epidural (they'd started a new one; my fourth epi!). Asked midwife whether it'll be painful having c-section on epi, she said there'll be no pain at all. Of course I didn't believe her - I was already feeling pain through the epi!

Finally, at 9 plus in the morning, about 3 cm dilated. !0am, 4cm. When Dr Tham came to check on me about 20 minutes later, he said I was already 8cm. In the meantime I was in intense pain, so much so that I forgot to mention it to him.

As I'd been complaining and complaining about the pain to the midwife, she finally got the anaesthetist to come in and check. He saw that the baby was crowning already, so he switched off the epidural!!! I was already in excruciating pain by then, and he actually increased it instead of relieving my pain... sob. I'd fully expected to give birth with epidural, so I totally wasn't prepared to deliver without pain relief.

Think my body doesn't respond well to the pain relief options available - as I pushed, I could feel Dr Tham snipping (the episiotomy) even though he gave me a local anaesthetic, and I could feel the pain as he stitched after baby was born. Plus I ended up using all 3 forms of pain relief available for labour (gas, thigh jab, epidural) and was in excruciating pain despite everything.

Seeing what I'd gone through, my hubby said this one baby is enough; no more kids for us. (he was in tears upon seeing how much I'd suffered).

In all, I was in the delivery suite for 27 hours. (plus another 3 hours spent at the ward before the contraction pains got too bad). And for the first few hours after birth, as well as the next few weeks that followed, I actually resented my baby for putting me through so much pain.

Anyway, Dr Tham was wonderfully reassuring each time he came to check in on me, but my labour was terrible! I suppose there wasn't much he could have done about the pain I felt.

I heard that induced labours are generally quite fast but more painful, though my experience is probably somewhat atypical.. given a choice, I wouldn't want to be induced ever again now that I know my body doesn't respond well in terms of dilating, and to the pain relievers.

Hope this doesn't scare you off though.. =)
hello babybull,
i also had a very long labour 44h in total from the time the waterbag broke at home till delivery, so i can empathise with you. the good thing was my pte gYnae allowed me to go home since i was 0cm dilated. His only instruction was to admit myself into delivery ward by the next morning if contractions were still not close enough 24h later.

but cos after more than 24h since the waters broke, and my cervix only dilated from 0-1cm, i had no choice but to be induced using oxytocin although my wish was not to use any induction. even then, my gynae still allowed me to move around the ward with the mobile drip. i tolerated the stronger-than-usual contractions that came with induction (i think like you, my body doesn't respond well to induction) for the next 6-7h until i was trembling uncontrollably between contractions and my cervix was only dilated 3-4cm. it was then my gynae recommended epidural for me to relax and conserve my energy for the big push. the epidural was administered in very small portion gradually at abt 8-plus pm, but thankfully worked well for me. think the anaethesist did a fab job even though i was trembling like crazy (i was so worried he would prick the wrong spot and cause the epidural to be ineffective!) i think it is normal for the hospital staff to switch off the epidural before delivery. my mid-wife and gynae both said that was to give me some sensation of when the contractions were coming so that I could respond with pushing the baby down. otherwise, if i didn't feel any pressure at all, it might delay the actual birthing process with baby stuck in the birth canal for longer than desirable.

i think i was very fortunate that my baby was a strong fighter and survived the strong contractions well so that at no time did my gynae recommend me the need to do a c-section. it was also in my birth plan that i wanted to tear naturally rather than have an episiotomy, which my gynae also allowed. so one less surgical procedure there.

for my next birth, i would still want to try without induction and epidural unless medically necessary.

one thing different from your experience is that despite seeing me go thru the excruciating pain, my hubby didn't shed a single tear and was not daunted at all. we still want to go for #2, #3 and #4!!! LOL!!

to other mummies who have seen Dr Benjamin before,
is he someone who insists on snipping down below or will he allow patient's wish to tear naturally? would he have allowed a patient's whose waters have broken with little or no dilation to return home first and admit only when the contractions are closer?