dr benjamin tham wai lum

yakii

Haha I'm a csc holder too but its totally rubbish one ... i'm under the new scheme so its completely worthless. Only $350 per year. Will definitely follow Dr Tham over since that's not a consideration.. =P
Hi babybull,

ooh urs is the new scheme..mine is the very very very old scheme which we onli pay 40% of watever the cost is for every visit and entitle for B1 ward wif no payment needed. There is no cap for the year. The 40% apply for his wife and child medical bill as long as is in a government hospital. Which is why during the 2nd birth, i took the B1 ward and my baby is premature was in NICU and special nursery but we didnt pay anything in cash except for the deduction of $2500 from the medi save.

yakii

hello babybull,
i also had a very long labour 44h in total from the time the waterbag broke at home till delivery, so i can empathise with you. the good thing was my pte gYnae allowed me to go home since i was 0cm dilated. His only instruction was to admit myself into delivery ward by the next morning if contractions were still not close enough 24h later.

but cos after more than 24h since the waters broke, and my cervix only dilated from 0-1cm, i had no choice but to be induced using oxytocin although my wish was not to use any induction. even then, my gynae still allowed me to move around the ward with the mobile drip. i tolerated the stronger-than-usual contractions that came with induction (i think like you, my body doesn't respond well to induction) for the next 6-7h until i was trembling uncontrollably between contractions and my cervix was only dilated 3-4cm. it was then my gynae recommended epidural for me to relax and conserve my energy for the big push. the epidural was administered in very small portion gradually at about 8-plus pm, but thankfully worked well for me. think the anaethesist did a fab job even though i was trembling like crazy (i was so worried he would prick the wrong spot and cause the epidural to be ineffective!) i think it is normal for the hospital staff to switch off the epidural before delivery. my mid-wife and gynae both said that was to give me some sensation of when the contractions were coming so that I could respond with pushing the baby down. otherwise, if i didn't feel any pressure at all, it might delay the actual birthing process with baby stuck in the birth canal for longer than desirable.

i think i was very fortunate that my baby was a strong fighter and survived the strong contractions well so that at no time did my gynae recommend me the need to do a c-section. it was also in my birth plan that i wanted to tear naturally rather than have an episiotomy, which my gynae also allowed. so one less surgical procedure there.

for my next birth, i would still want to try without induction and epidural unless medically necessary.

one thing different from your experience is that despite seeing me go thru the excruciating pain, my hubby didn't shed a single tear and was not daunted at all. we still want to go for #2, #3 and #4!!! LOL!!

to other mummies who have seen Dr Benjamin before,
is he someone who insists on snipping down below or will he allow patient's wish to tear naturally? would he have allowed a patient's whose waters have broken with little or no dilation to return home first and admit only when the contractions are closer?
i am under Dr Tham, I ever ask Dr Tham this question but he did advise me to have the snap as he explain tat if the baby is big or when the baby pushes too fast the tear will be terrible and will take a longer time for the wound to heal. But then he did say is up to me to choose. My water bag broke but was admitted as i was a GBS +ve carrier. So the drip start the moment i am in. But my cousin also under Dr Tham was allow to go back when she is already 2cm dilated and ask to go back when she can feel the contraction more intense.

cmeilim

I guess maybe is due to the moment when the baby is coming out is rushing too fast and cos the tear.
my boy (also my #1) was 3.29kg at birth and i had six stitches cos of natural tear, not episiotomy. my gynae said the tear was not serious and also said he never had to practise episiotomy for the past ten years of practice regardless of baby size. my hubby who watched the whole process told me that my gynae was very good in helping the baby turn when delivering the baby out, such that the baby came out smootly without needing me to force too hard, too much or too fast.

cmeilim

.. he has planned to induce me anyway.. cos he said if want natural birth he won't allow the baby tobe more than 3.5kg
:)
Hmm...it is possible to birth naturally for even so-called big babies. i know of three friends who delivered their babies naturally - all more than 4kg. moreover, they are women with previous C-section history. maybe it depends on the gynae....

anyone knows how far overdue will dr ben allow before he does induction? my #1 came out 9 days past EDD when the waters broke. my gynae then was happy to let me carry him up to 42nd week if necessary, as my amniotic level was good, before we would discuss if really need to induce.

babybull

anyone knows how far overdue will dr ben allow before he does induction? my #1 came out 9 days past EDD when the waters broke. my gynae then was happy to let me carry him up to 42nd week if necessary, as my amniotic level was good, before we would discuss if really need to induce.
I think he will assess the mother and baby's condition before deciding? For my case, amniotic level was already fairly low by 39 week plus, although Dr Tham estimated that I could probably hold til 3-4 days after EDD (but baby delivered by another dr as he will be away).

However by then my hubby and I were impatient to see the baby lah, plus hubby had to present a paper at a conference 3 days after my EDD and he was worried that he may not be able to be there with me all the time if I went into labour then. so we decided to induce on EDD lor. Gynae left it to us to decide. He didnt push for me to induce earlier. When we requested to induce earlier, he advised us to keep it as close to edd as possible as baby may be more ready to come out by then.

As for the episiotomy part, I think i had more stitches than most ppl cos my baby's head was too big despite her relatively small size. Early on during scans Dr already commented that my baby had a big head even though she's on the small side.

Last edited:

angelwendy

I think he will assess the mother and baby's condition before deciding? For my case, amniotic level was already fairly low by 39 week plus, although Dr Tham estimated that I could probably hold til 3-4 days after EDD (but baby delivered by another dr as he will be away).

However by then my hubby and I were impatient to see the baby , plus hubby had to present a paper at a conference 3 days after my EDD and he was worried that he may not be able to be there with me all the time if I went into labour then. so we decided to induce on EDD . Gynae left it to us to decide. He didnt push for me to induce earlier. When we requested to induce earlier, he advised us to keep it as close to edd as possible as baby may be more ready to come out by then.

As for the episiotomy part, I think i had more stitches than most ppl cos my baby's head was too big despite her relatively small size. Early on during scans Dr already commented that my baby had a big head even though she's on the small side.
Yup Doc Ben will advised to keep it as close to the edd... cause due to some reason i also wanted to induce... my edd is actually 1 March... but i request on 27 feb... is only 2 days earlier...

yan2

Who is the next better male gynae in KKH after Dr tham??

Mummies, who will be your gynae after Dr tham let??

JazN

Hope I'm reading your query correctly.

Dr Tham is from KKH. If you're talking about TMC then you'll need to probably check with other mummies in the forum

hmm i reallly want to know this too, cos have heard a lot of negative stuff on Thomson Medical Center..

babybull

Hope I'm reading your query correctly.

Dr Tham is from Kandang Kerbau Hospital. If you're talking about Thomson Medical Center then you'll need to probably check with other mummies in the forum
Yup Dr Tham is from KK, but he's leaving kk to start his own private practice at TMC in May this year. You can find out more at his website drbenjamintham.com

to other mummies who have seen Dr Benjamin before,
is he someone who insists on snipping down below or will he allow patient's wish to tear naturally? would he have allowed a patient's whose waters have broken with little or no dilation to return home first and admit only when the contractions are closer?
he won't insist but he told me twice it's better to be snipped than having a bad tear. he snipped me down there but i still have a natural tear too, my boy weigh 3.4kg at birth and i had 6 stiches.

Hmm...it is possible to birth naturally for even so-called big babies. i know of three friends who delivered their babies naturally - all more than 4kg. moreover, they are women with previous C-section history. maybe it depends on the gynae....

yes it possible to give birth naturally to 4kg babies.. i have some relatives who did too, but most also need vacuum or forceps in their delivery.
dr tham explained his reason for keeping baby below 3.5kg for natural birth is coz the risk of dislocating/spraining the shoulders are high.

eissacsirhc

Who is the next better male gynae in Kandang Kerbau Hospital after Dr tham??

Mummies, who will be your gynae after Dr tham let??
I have been seeing Associate Professor John Tee CS (KKH) since I was preg wif my 1st baby(2008).. He was recommended by my cousin but he has a long list of patients so waiting time will be a lil longer.. He is really nice and very professional..

Last edited:

happygalgal

hi moms,

anyone seeing dr benjamin tham wai lum?
Hi, I am a new member here.

Do anyone here knows about the resignation of dr benjamin tham? I juz knew last week, when I called up to make appointment. HIs last day of service is mid May.

Wonder which private practice did he goes to? Anyone out there knows?

hi! had my follow up w Dr Tham last week. Yup .he will go to Thompson Medical for private practice. He says charges at KKh are very expensive now,thats why he has to leave. If he continue at KKH, he have no choice but to charge his patient more because KKh also charges him more. I was also surprise when i got my bill, the last time i saw him it was around 90sgd for the consult fee but last week it was already 136++sgd...He will be at Thompson by May, maybe ill just transfer there as well.

yan2

I have been seeing Associate Professor John Tee CS (Kandang Kerbau Hospital) since I was preg with my 1st baby(2008).. He was recommended by my cousin but he has a long list of patients so waiting time will be a lil longer.. He is really nice and very professional..
KKH made changes to see AP John Tee. Hmm...not comfortable with him compared with Dr Benjamin Tham..still like Dr Tham's service....never tell you indvance what thing he going to do and the pain you might experience.

susant

hi! had my follow up w Dr Tham last week. Yup .he will go to Thompson Medical for private practice. He says charges at Kandang Kerbau Hospital are very expensive now,thats why he has to leave. If he continue at Kandang Kerbau Hospital, he have no choice but to charge his patient more because Kandang Kerbau Hospital also charges him more. I was also surprise when i got my bill, the last time i saw him it was around 90sgd for the consult fee but last week it was already 136++sgd...He will be at Thompson by May, maybe ill just transfer there as well.
I suggest you to follow him to see at Thomson Medical Center. If you were his patient at KK Hospital, he'll give you 20% discount of his charges in TMC. I am currently seeing him and have to he's such a wonderful doctor.

I have to agree with some mummies that KK could be more expensive as I seen the total bill was 80++ for one time seeing. But in TMC, not more than 65 which inclusive of routine test and consultation fee.

Check this link for more detials: drbenjamintham.com - Dr Benjamin Tham

So far, the nurses and services still good.

MeganLim

what are dr benjamin's charges like? is he a pro-natural birth gynae? for example, will he insist on doing episiotomy?

$80 for consultation..excluded urine test $5.

Told him i wanna go for c-sect, but he encourage natural :p
He respects my decision. he will be away 1st week in dec

cmeilim

$80 for consultation..excluded urine test $5.

Told him i wanna go for c-sect, but he encourage natural :p
He respects my decision. he will be away 1st week in dec

is $80 for first consultation and subsequent consultations cheaper? what about the charges for scans?