Dr Fong chuan wee ( Glen E) anybody?

I just went for my 1st gynae appt wks ago. n my second appt for blood test is due in april. but sumhw i,m still nt sure if i,m comfortable w this gynae. hubby decided on this gyane due to fren recommendation. apparently comments abt him is gd experienced, professional n friendly blah blah blah. but then when i went for e 1st appt he seems to b very rushing in explaning all e details n blah blah blah. cse its our 1st appt we dun even noe wat is he talking abt but juz brush it off . told him my prob of hunger @ nite that i cant slp he juz despatch heartburn medicine n some other medicine that he did nt explain wat is it for but juz say its gastric. e clinic was closed shortly after we left as hubby saw e nurses leaving while waiting for me to come out from washrm. we had a discussion n i told hubby my feeling like e gynae nt v friendly n kept rushing but i like e way he handles e breast checking part make me feel comfortable n nt awkard ( i had previously read some mtb experiences with their gynae.) hubby juz feels that perharps e clinic is closing (sat) n he had 3 other patients to attend to. infact he was attending to four o us @ 1 time. hubby oso feedback to his fren abt our experience but e response was he is nt like dat de. hmmmm wat shld i do mtb ?

Hi,

My dd1 was delivered by Dr Fong. On the whole, he's very experienced, very professional. But I find him not very friendly, not very patient to answering my queries. I also don't like his system of attending to a few patients at the same time, I feel shortchanged as it's very impersonal. He's always in a rush to see the next patient rather than to tend to your concerns.

He's also very pro- c-section. When I had contractions, he immediately told me to go for c-section without letting me go for natural birth as he said my dd1 was big baby.(3.565kg). Many friends around me, said that their babies are 3.8kg, 4 kg etc and they went for natural birth, why didnt he let me do so? That time, I was young and didnt read much, so I just went along with his instructions cos I was worried about the baby.

When I was pregnant with dd2, I wanted a natural birth. But he said again that my dd2 was big, must go for c-sect again (birth weight 3.38kg). In the end, I changed my gyn.

My advice: think carefully before you settle for a gyn. After all, you are the one paying for their services.

thks 4 ur info playfulfairy. hmmm hw cum u didnt changed ur gynae when u having #2 i mean isnt it v logical to change ur gynae (dr fong ) since u had a bad experience w him b4. hw cum u still go back 2 him e 2nd x? n did he tell u y he didnt want u 2 opt 4 natural? i mean u (gynaes in general),l h 2 give me a reason n explanation 4 watever is happening 2 me or watever u deem fit n if e reasoning is convincing then o cse u,l earn pple's trust. anway its ur job . u noe wat i mean. nw i,m reli confused dun noe wat 2 do. on 1 hand i,m gog for my 2nd appt soon but on e other hand i reli feel like trying anoher gynae n if so i wont kip my 2nd appt but cancel it. oh dear wat shld i do? pls advise........

Reason for going back to Dr Fong when I was preggie with dd2 was that since he's very much experienced and professional, and delivered my dd1 successfully, I thot heck with his impersonal approach... His reason for delivering dd1 via c-sect was she is big in size, afraid that it might be difficult to deliver her. I didnt know that big babies can be delivered via natural birth back then.

For dd2, I did told Dr Fong that I wanted a natural birth, at first he agreed. Then in the end, he said the baby looks big, so he asks me to go for c-sect. This time, I read up a lot and attended a class about the process of giving birth. Having a strong conviction that I could give birth naturally, I consulted a very pro-natural birth gyn instead.

Hmm I can't really advise you.. this is a very personal choice. It's about what you really want. For me, I prayed really hard and I went according to my gut feeling(haha I changed gyn at 38 weeks!) Thankfully, my dd2 was delivered via natural birth instead of c-sect...

Perhaps you could discuss with your hubby what are the criteria you look for in your gyn?

kuan

Dr Fong huh.... my 2nd bb delivered by him. 1st bb was a female gynae. then thru' recommendation go to dr fong during 2nd pregnancy. well, i tell u .... he is good and no good!!! during 2nd pregnancy, i had some complication, but as compared to the 1st female gynae, he is very professional, and took good care of me and bb. i delivered thru' c-section and in op room, my thigh was scald (according to ward nurse could be due to equipment failure). I didn't know till 2nd nite after delivery.i felt the pain there but didn't highlight to anyone. it was the ward nurse who saw the scar when cleaning for me and immediately alerted dr fong. he came in the middle to the night, and guess what he said? he said i could have hurt myself when i go to the toilet!!! LAME EXCUSE! :tmad: all nurses in the ward knew what is the likely cause. but anyway, me and my husband decided not to pursue the matter, as he had really taken good care of me during my pregnancy. and anyway the wound will heal and all i want after delivery is to quickly b discharged is rest well at home!!

milkypoky

i was delivered by him. and he was my gynae from my 1st prenatal check up till birth.

i find him professional and experienced just that he's not friendly?

that time im having braxton hicks on my 24th weeks and he's afraid i might have premature labour he asked me to go through CTG and give me some pills to prevent that? he will scold me if i have the contractions? and asked me to prevent walking too much.

if a doc doesn't concern their patient's health he wouldn't bother to scold right?

anyway he predict my labour very accurately. he done cervix check for me and say i will have labour before 38th weeks.

yes he is true cause before im giving birth i have check up as usual.

he says i will delivered today or tomorrow?

after his check up i have contractions already!!:001_302:

but what im satisfied was when im in labour he will comes and check on me very well .

i admitted to hosp at 5pm he checked on me and asked me to go labour room

12am he's back again. and around 6am it's my time for giving birth and he's always around.

and i find his stitching skill are quite good the 2nd day i can walk very naturally already.

well i just know he have a lots of patients there? so he tend to gets busy and attend 2 patients each time?

steffieeee

I highly NOT RECOMMEND Dr Fong.
First of all, the reason why his schedule is packed is because he deliver Pastor Kong's(City Harvest Senior Pastor) child.

These are the reasons why I dislike him:

1) The nurses there are superbly rude to me and impatient. Even though waiting for him is super long, we spend less then 5 mins in his room. And he is always rushing me off so that he can attend to his next patient.

2) He keeps mentioning that my baby is too big have to C-section etc. But ended up I still gave birth naturally.

3) When I went to the hospital because on my painful contractions, he came in only at 1400 hrs when I check in at 6-ish. I know that he comes to work early on Saturdays because his clinic opens on Saturdays. But he only come and see me at 1400 hrs can??

4) He burst my water bag first before the Neurologist came to give me the epidural. Then the doctor asked me "Why did Dr Fong burst your bag before I came? He should have done it after I have injected you. " I was super MAD because when he burst my water bag it made the contractions more frequent and painful!!!

5) He went to cut my vagina to make the hole bigger then after my baby come out he tell me, " Actually no need to cut" I am super mad can ? Some more because he cut, my first every urine after that was super painful I cried.

The reason I went there is because my mother in law told me she went to him for all her children. But after this experience I will NEVER go back again!!

Last edited:

oceanx2k

Personally I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND Dr Fong chuan wee
Sometimes his pros are also his cons, but I guess it really depends on personally preference.

1. He is experienced.
- there are lots of recommendations and lots of patients going to his clinics for good reasons.
2. He doesn't waste your time. As a husband, I need to attend to my work, but I want to accompany my wife for the checkups, so waiting time and checkup time is essential.
- if you can't wait for long queues then make sure you book earlier timings and be there early.
- He will not talk lengthy lecture to you or tell you things that you do not need to worry about.
- if examination of the baby is OK, and there are no complains or questions from the MOM, then usually he will not provide further instructions and advice. He will issue whatever medicine he think is necessary and let you go.
3. He explains in details only when he feel the necessity to do so.
- Some people would have alot to ask the doctor and wants alot of help on how to take care of the baby etc... DO NOT ask the doctor about questions that's not related to the baby or MOM. He is there just to make sure the MOM and the baby will be OK, that's his goal and only focus.
4. He is kind and so are his nurse team
- If you put your unpleasant face or angry face to the mirror, you will only see the same.
- He is impatient sometimes yes, but that's because he has so many patients to attend to. Hence he can only focus on the BABY and the MOM and nothing else. And that's OK for me as a husband, coz that's my priority too.
- His nurse are very nice to us, he delivered two of our babies safely and we feel very comfortable with him and his nurse team.
5. He takes time and effort to solve essential issues and problems.
- when there's no problems, he just let you go, when there are problems.. he will MAKE you stay LOL... like i mentioned earlier, his goal is to ensure the BABY and the MOM are both OK. In any case if there has to be a choice, I believe he will ask you in advance.

Cons
1. Sometimes he had to go to deliver babies even though there are already many people in the clinic.
- This happens occasionally during emergency deliveries. Usually if he had to go to deliver a few babies, and he knows it, he will empty out the morning or evening session or limit to a few patients only.
- Imagine you are the MOM having to deliver the baby, I am sure you would appreciate the fact that he rush from the clinic to the deliver room for your case. Sometimes he has to deliver two or a few babies on the same day with very tight time slots... but hey... he has no control of exactly when the baby wants to come out right LOL...

2. He can be very impatient and doesn't like to answer FAQs.
- He doesn't have the time to answer FAQs... please ask these FAQs to the nurse "nicely" and the nurse will be very willing to assist you, as long as they are not tight up with work.

3. Waiting time can sometimes be very long and Checkup time is generally very short
- I must say it is good for the checkup time to be very short, because that means that your baby appears to be healthy after the checkup and he feels no problems with your baby!
- Waiting time can sometimes be very long if you had not made any appointments OR he is solving problems for other MOM/babies in the checkup room. If you want him to give the same amount of attention to you when you really have a problem, then you should allow him to give the same to other MOMs/Babies in pain or trouble.

4. His time is limited and he doesn't waste time
- He has many patients to attend to, if he has been informed that you are not ready to give birth yet, and your conditions are OK, he will not ditch his patients (sometimes patients with more imminent issues) to attend to you at the deliver room.
- for our first child, we checked in to the hospital just after midnight, I can't recall when I saw the Dr, but delivery was only at night because the baby had not entered the stage of delivery until then.
- for our second child, we were more experienced, and we didn't rush to the hospital but waited abit longer to ensure waiting time at the hospital is reduced. trust me, it's not nice to wait in the COLD hospital overnight...

5. His age
- He is not a young Dr. , he might have difficulties to communicate with young people especially if you are nervous and impatient. He will only give you the advice, but the choice is ultimately YOURS to make.
- He might be forgetfully about who you are and your last visit conditions. so please ensure you remind him if there are essential things that he needs to know about.

Code:
Please do your homework and study the things that you need to know as a parent, as a MOM with a baby, as that's part of the life or having a child and delivery a new child to this new world... IF you just want to give birth to a child and leave all the essential child care and education to MAIDS and SCHOOLS, please don't end up shouting to your child: "WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS? WHO MADE YOU THIS WAY". because you are the one to blame =P
Code:
my advice for all husbands and MOMs, please prepare a luggage bag with ALL the essential clothing, jackets, small blankets and new born clothing and place it in your car boot!! you never know when your wife is going to delivery the baby and when you NEED to RUSH to the hospital, you will forget alot of things... zzzzzz

fluffy

I went to him for one check up and found him quite insensitive.....and did not went back....
at the first check up he emotionlessly tell me first 3 months is prone to miscarriage and give me medicinie in case there is bleeding.......the way he tell me is like reciting formula....and since is my first child i m quite affected n scared..."please eat this n this if got bleeding...." he sound like its so common to have miscarriage...

BTW he delivered my sister like 17 years ago ....he is indeed very experienced....

gessim

I'm currently with Dr Fong. He was recommended by my TCM doc who trusts him fully. So despite all the negative comments here, I thought I gave him a shot.

To be fair, he may seem busy, but I do find his opinions very professional. He has been wiling to answer our queries thus far. I find comfort in the fact that he is a no nonsense gynae and fully knows what to be done in complicated cases. I'm having a complicated pregnancy and glad I have 2 knowledgeable docs helping me right now.

poohie

I am with Dr Fong too and this is my first baby. My opinion of him is he is nt very friendly. Yes I do agree that he always running around in that 2 consultation room of his. After a long wait, and being called into the room. U still need to wait, cos he will be attending to another patient in the next room.

There are times when you ask him things, he doesn't give u a direct answer. I was recommended to him by my hubby friend and my hubby insist that I go to him bcos he doesn't like the previous gynae i went. And told he is very experience. I feel he won't hesitate to scold u if u didn't answer his question properly

annietakedamok

I'm with Dr. Fong. Although I haven't pregnant now. But all along, gynae checkup had been sticked to Dr.Fong. He is impatient. Yes. But he is professional lah. I think in future, i will want to choose Dr.Fong if i were to be preg.

mummy29

My mother had a very bad experience with this gynae and both the mother and child almost died. i STRONGLY DISCOURAGE this doctor unless you are prepared for an irresponsible doctor who did not even bother to apologise after his misdoings. It was an unethical act which caused a family to suffer great distress.

poohie

My mother had a very bad experience with this gynae and both the mother and child almost died. i STRONGLY DISCOURAGE this doctor unless you are prepared for an irresponsible doctor who did not even bother to apologise after his misdoings. It was an unethical act which caused a family to suffer great distress.

Hi,

Would you like to share with us what happened and what did He do?

mummy29

Hi,

Would you like to share with us what happened and what did He do?
it's largely like the above cases that he was involved with his clinic and other patients and left the pregnant lady unattended to and did not explain that the baby's life was in danger at that point in time as well. the mother had to suffer large pain and fear of giving birth. this is clearly an unprofessional act.