Dust Mite Encasement

Justina

We've all heard of few popular brands to vacuum dust mites. Does anyone also know that we can buy 'dust mite encasement' to protect our mattresses from dust mites.

They are zipped locked so that dust mites can't escape from mattresses. Some are fabric like to provide comfort.

They are very popular in US and Canada but I seem to have a hard time finding it in Singapore.

Anyone share the same thoughts?

Sharing one of the anti-dust mite mattress cover Waterproof Mattress Protector - FastFurnishings.com - YouTube

Unfortunately, they don't ship to Singapore...

Justina

Thanks sorsor, I asked allercare before. Their prices soar at $400 for the king size protector. I know countries like US sells mush cheaper. Trying Aus now but so far shipping costs are high. Do you use any?

sorsor

No I don't use them the reason I know of them is thru work cos I m working in a clinic n we sometime refer patients to tat shop . I know their pricing is steep but I m Sorie tat I dun know where to source for cheaper encasement but I will update u if I hav any .Btw is your bb on breast milk only ? When did she start to hav eczema ?

Justina

It's ok. My son used to get allergy rhinitis before he was 2. He got bronchitis a couple of times too. I thought protecting the mattress is the best way right now. Sometimes my daughter gets cough and phlegm too.

sorsor

Oh I see . Okay will update u if I can get more info . Btw r they on oral vit ? It will be very useful to put them on cos vit will build up their immune system n they will subsequently suffer less allergies n ailiments . Take care ! Hav a good weekend !

Justina

I had done much survey on sourcing the dust-mite proof mattress protector. Decided to get the brand Protect-A-Bed made in USA. The closest country selling this brand is Malaysia. They do not deliver to Singapore, so, if anyone is interested, kindly let me know the soonest, I will be going over to purchase myself. I can help you to purchase too.

Malaysia Protect-A-Bed website

USA Protect-A-Bed website

AkaSakana

Thanks sorsor, I asked allercare before. Their prices soar at $400 for the king size protector. I know countries like US sells mush cheaper. Trying Aus now but so far shipping costs are high. Do you use any?

Check this out

http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f81/waterproof-mattress-protector-bed-wetting-menstruation-leaks-incontinence-21-8-a-89025/

I bought 2 of my King size waterproof fitted mattress covers cost me $52.90 each with FOC delivery & pillow protectors that claimed anti-allergies. I'm not sure if they have encasement type, you can check with them. Compared to allercare that priced at $400, I think their price is very reasonable & much cheaper! I hope this info help.

omegaoasis

You should get one custom made pvc at furniture shop no need to wash with zip encasement u can choose colour of your choice. U can use water and detol to clean it. Previously I used to encounter dustmite on my king size mattress. The fabric that u get at departmental have to wash after sometimes the vinyl spoilt it does not serve the purposes anymore. I even bought one at King KOil warehouse sales but not as lasting as the pvc.

omegaoasis

For anti dustmite and waterproof again urine or mensa it is best getting pvc mattress protector encasement with zip u can custom made at furniture shop. Dun get the fitted is not good for anti dustmite.

omegaoasis

how to choose dust mite proof cover..
How does it work?

The aim is to avoid dust mite allergens being in contact with the allergic sleeper. The cover has to completely enclose the mattress, pillows and duvets in order to offer maximum possible protection against dust mites, without disrupting your sleep.
Which criteria?

The cover has to completely enclose the mattress
All covers which are opened from underneath are totally ineffective. They do not prevent the spread of dust mites in the bedroom.
Protec'Som only produces covers that completely enclose the mattress and close thanks to a zip fastener and a large dust mite proof flap.

The textile used has to offer an effective barrier between you and the dust mite allergens. Tests have to be carried out to prove that the textile prevents the spread of dust mites.
This check is necessary when the mattress is new and also throughout its life...
The Texaal covers are the only ones on the market which have proved their efficiency after more than 100 washes.

Avoid covers which are quilted or made from towelling.
The thicker the textile used, the more it may harbour dust mites.

Zip fasteners are often the weakness of a dust mite proof cover.
Choose a cover with the shortest possible closures, which are provided with a large dust mite proof flap of material under the zip fastener.

ProtecSom covers have high-quality closures (Eclair Prym) protected by a large dust mite proof flap.

Beware chemical « treatments against mites »
A cover which is « treated » against dust mites often hides a cover made from an ordinary textile, which is only treated with an insecticide. Such a cover does not filter all the allergens. It is consequently not totally efficient.
Protec'Som covers are not chemically treated; they work by filtering.

Covers have to be easy-to-care for and allow several washes up to 60°C in washing machines and, fast, total drying in a tumble dryer.
For duvet covers and pillow cases, will washing every six months be enough for you? Choose a textile which can handle several washes!
Texaal covers are washable as many times as a good-quality sheet.

For your comfort and the health of your bedding, the textile has to be « breathable » (air proof and water vapour proof). Coated textiles are not breathable enough...
The textile of your cover has to be as light and rustle-free as possible.
The Protec'Som covers use textiles which are particularly comfortable such as Texaal Cotton or Evolon