EBM - Freezing Guidelines

Jode

Hello Mummies
Can I ask a stupid question?
Is it ok to keep ebm in the fridge for 3 days, and then transfer to the freezer to freeze it? Will the ebm spoil?

TIA.

chiro san

I would advise NOT to freeze that. Because EBM in fridge can only be kept for 24hrs, if not consumed, can put in freezer. If any longer than that, it's best not to. :)

lag

i keep EBM in the fridge for maximum 48 hrs.. dont advise to transfer from fridge to freezer.. if want to keeep in freezer once express out straight away keep inside freezer..

pmcheng

Anyone knows if we can combine EBM that is pumped at different times in the same day?

I'm trying to pump after a feed to stimulate milk production. Output abt 30ml cos after a feed. I would store in freezer to build up EBM bank. But storing individual bottles of 30ml doesn't seem to make sense tome cos means heat many bottles to make a full feed later on. Hence I'm wondering if can combine all EBM from same day in one bottle and label it so I know which bottles to feed first next time.

PinkDiamonds

Anyone knows if we can combine EBM that is pumped at different times in the same day?

I'm trying to pump after a feed to stimulate milk production. Output abt 30ml cos after a feed. I would store in freezer to build up EBM bank. But storing individual bottles of 30ml doesn't seem to make sense tome cos means heat many bottles to make a full feed later on. Hence I'm wondering if can combine all EBM from same day in one bottle and label it so I know which bottles to feed first next time.
You can combined EBM of the same temperature. So for example, 10am you pumped 30ml and stored it in the fridge. Then at 1pm you pump another 30ml. You'll need to store it in the refrigerator till its cool before you combine it with the 10am EBM.

I hope this helps!

pmcheng

Thanks! What happens if the first 10ml is in the freezer? Can I pour the second 10ml into the frozen bottle?

lag

hmm same temperature ley.. i think only works for ebm in fridge NOT freezer.. frozen liao how to mix??? i am using chrystal method too..

PinkDiamonds

Thanks! What happens if the first 10ml is in the freezer? Can I pour the second 10ml into the frozen bottle?
I think it'd be easier, like what pmcheng said, to mix refrigerated BM first, then freeze. So for example, you can refrigerate all your EBM for the day and combine before freezing them as a batch.