EBM: Your Daily Output

adelynn

Dear Mummies,

I am going back to work in 2 weeks time and would appreciate if you are able to give some advise on the following:

1. Pumping schedule on a day basis

2. Milk yield for a total day basis

For the past 2 over months, i have been exclusively BF-ing my girl with 100% latch on for the 1st 6 weeks and supplementing with 1 bottle feed (EBM) per day afterwhich thus i have not much visibility on how much my girl is actually taking thus am not sure if i will have enough for her.

I tried for the 1st time yesterday to give her more bottle feeds and pump instead of direct latch on. Result - 590ML of expressed milk (over 5 sessions) and 4 sessions of direct latch on. Is this good or bad?

3. Milk intake of your baby on a daily basis

As i have not been giving my girl many bottles, i am clueless as to how much i should instruct my maid to give to my girl for each feed. For the 1 session of EBM for the past feeds, she has been taking no more than 80ML (ranges between 50ML to 80ML) - and this is her 1st feed of each day.

I know there are several methods but when i 'compare' her actual milk intake versus the recommended using the various methods below she seems to be drinking way under. Which method are you using to 'estimate' baby's needs?

1. Milk Intake Based on Weight - Total 24 Hour Intake
Lower Limit: 150ML x Weight
Upper Limit: 200ML x Weight

To ascertain each feed intake, to divide the upper & lower limits by the number of feeds

2. Milk Intake Based on Weight - Per Feed Calculation
Lower Limit: Weight x 20ML
Upper Limit: Weight x 30ML
This is to be fed every 3 hourly

3. BF Babies Milk Intake Remains Constant Between 1 Month to 6 Months

This belief says that a total BF babies requires an average of 25 Oz (750ML) per day with the daily range between 19 to 30 Oz (570 to 900ML) so to take the range and divide out by the number of feeds.

Sorry for the long post & TIA

camom

Dear Mummies,

1. Pumping schedule on a day basis
I pump 3 times in office and twice at home. For home sessions, once in the morning when I feed bb on 1 side, and once at night, usually abt 11.30pm.

For sessions in office, it's 8.30am, 12pm and 4pm.

2. Milk yield for a total day basis

For the past 2 over months, i have been exclusively BF-ing my girl with 100% latch on for the 1st 6 weeks and supplementing with 1 bottle feed (EBM) per day afterwhich thus i have not much visibility on how much my girl is actually taking thus am not sure if i will have enough for her.

I tried for the 1st time yesterday to give her more bottle feeds and pump instead of direct latch on. Result - 590ML of expressed milk (over 5 sessions) and 4 sessions of direct latch on. Is this good or bad?
Have you been pumping prior to this? If not, give yourself some time to adjust to the pump. My daily yield slowly increased from the initial 60ml per session to a high of almost 300ml per session.

3. Milk intake of your baby on a daily basis

As i have not been giving my girl many bottles, i am clueless as to how much i should instruct my maid to give to my girl for each feed. For the 1 session of EBM for the past feeds, she has been taking no more than 80ML (ranges between 50ML to 80ML) - and this is her 1st feed of each day.

I know there are several methods but when i 'compare' her actual milk intake versus the recommended using the various methods below she seems to be drinking way under. Which method are you using to 'estimate' baby's needs?

1. Milk Intake Based on Weight - Total 24 Hour Intake
Lower Limit: 150ML x Weight
Upper Limit: 200ML x Weight

To ascertain each feed intake, to divide the upper & lower limits by the number of feeds

2. Milk Intake Based on Weight - Per Feed Calculation
Lower Limit: Weight x 20ML
Upper Limit: Weight x 30ML
This is to be fed every 3 hourly

3. BF Babies Milk Intake Remains Constant Between 1 Month to 6 Months

This belief says that a total BF babies requires an average of 25 Oz (750ML) per day with the daily range between 19 to 30 Oz (570 to 900ML) so to take the range and divide out by the number of feeds.
I think mine is (1).

My son belongs to the type who grazes during the day and loads up at night.He took the min. amt required to sustain himself and latch nonstop at night. His record was only 60-70ml in 1 day in his 1st week of ebm. Gave us a scare when he had pink urate crystals in his diapers.

My mom started off with 60ml each feed. If he showed signs of wanting more, she will warm up some more for him, not more than 30ml per time. Very tedious cos we syringe feed him previously since he totally rejected bottles. If I add up the amt of ebm he is drinking throughout the day, it barely meets the criteria. However, taking into a/c the est amt he drinks when he latches on, I think we are pretty safe.

adelynn

i tried to express and 'imitate' how a day would go by when i return to work, latching in the early morning and after work and expressing through the day; ended up with 2 direct latch on and expressing a total of 700ML. My girl drank a total of 400ML on EBM for the mid day.

I think camon you are right, i need time to get used to the pump, i seem to be slowly getting more. Woah, 300ML 1 pumping session? My high was only 220ML.

I still can't 'read' my girl's cues if she wants more or not, cuz after milk she usually settles down pretty well. From my direct latch experience, even if she had not had enough she won't fuss for more but would shorten the feeding interval.

i calculated my girl's recommended intake based on all 3 methods, end up she's barely drinking the lower limits or even lesser than the lower limits mostly. But she's still pooping & pee-ing well, so i guess i follow her lead?

cmeilim

for BM, the impt thing is to observe the output, sometimes not so much the input. if your babe's still pooing and peeing well, it's a sign she's not dehydrated nor constipated. and if her weight gain is also ok, then she should be ok. =)