EDD May 2011

Hi all..
My baby gal always become alert from 11 pm to 2 am.. after 2 am she will then sleep soundly.. between these timing , we fed her , also comfort her..
my house got many "helpers" they likes to carry her,but once put her on bed, she will start to be cranky again .. not sure is it she still adjusting her biological clock.. i am very stressed up by this..
my milk production per pump from 2 breast only 80 ml, sometimes more to 90ml , sometimes less .. i am worried that my milk production not enough for my baby..
i wanna at least fed her till one month .. if i can.. then i will continue longer but at least one month..
Too many anxiety and emotional feelings..
lack of sleep n tiredness..
really so tough to be a mother and i started to doubt that i can take care of my baby very well after the confinement lady left..

lsy

Yea I told them I'm on total bf. They bring in 3hrs interval during day n 4 hrs during night. They did ask if I wanna room in on the first day. However I could hardly move (sit up/ shift myself) so how can I take care of my baby diaper or other needs. So told them put her in nursery n only send her to me for feeding. I did not stimulate my breast with breast pump while in hospital. Only can see colostrum. At night of discharge baby was so hungry I need to give her fm 60ml. I wonder what the nursery feed her. Anyway those r history. Next time will opt for rooming in and get 1 bedded perhaps so that hubby can stay n sleep.

My girl used to take milk 1.5 hr once. Now i am estimating average 2-3 hr once before she gets hungry n cry. Night time could stretch max 4 hr. This is provided she empty my engorged breast. Perhaps like what they mentioned previously baby have snack time too instead of full meal. I also couldn't tell if my baby have enough. Sometimes my mom will try to put her to sleep if still cannot tame her whining I will offer my breast to her again n she tend to gently suck for few mins then fall asleep.

Last edited:

lsy

Hi all..
My baby gal always become alert from 11 pm to 2 am.. after 2 am she will then sleep soundly.. between these timing , we fed her , also comfort her..
my house got many "helpers" they likes to carry her,but once put her on bed, she will start to be cranky again .. not sure is it she still adjusting her biological clock.. i am very stressed up by this..
my milk production per pump from 2 breast only 80 ml, sometimes more to 90ml , sometimes less .. i am worried that my milk production not enough for my baby..
i wanna at least fed her till one month .. if i can.. then i will continue longer but at least one month..
Too many anxiety and emotional feelings..
lack of sleep n tiredness..
really so tough to be a mother and i started to doubt that i can take care of my baby very well after the confinement lady left..
I have the same problem when I pump too hence I decided to latch on and only pump engorged breast when she is full n asleep. less stress for me. Whatever pump out are excess used for standby only.
I'm also worried the roads ahead without my mom around. No mil too. Only hubby n myself.
Rest more, u will notice ur breast engorged faster when u r well rest. We jia you together.

I can only share as much what is read

whomovedmycheese

Got specific timing? Colicky?
My girl whines when she needs to burp. I still suspect she's taking too much fore milk coz her stool still green. Now getting yellowish green.
Her poo is foamy too so guess she have lots of wind. Trying hard to let her complete 1 breast.
At night when she wants to drink and at the same time want to burp is the difficult part. Need to sit up n burp her. Either me or my mom will do it.

Anyone have any idea how to treat milk blister?
Is it like abrasion on the nipple? I got that.. The lactation consultant ask me to use breast milk to rub on the nipple after every feed. It's rich in collagen and other vitamin, very good at healing sore nipple.

esther kuan

congrats cass!! most important thing is that both of u are safe n healthy!

my nipples are sore too as my bb likes to suck real hard.
i jus started pumping today at day 4.
both sides total 50-60ml...hope can satisfy my boy boy....
he's always v hungry, can suck for an hour even... v scary!!

whomovedmycheese

My auntie told me I need to pump every 2 hours to stimulate milk flow. Don't be too aggressive too.

Based on the lactation consultant I visited, she say if we are pumping out milk, we should at most do 3 sets of 5 mins. Before each time we feed or set of 5 min pump, we should use a hot towel to hot press for 5-10 min to soften the blocked ducts. After that, massage the breast with the palm. First massage the nipple then the 3,6,9,12 o'clock position with the palm. After that use the palm to push the breast at the 3,6,9,12 o'clock position towards the aerola, so as to push the milk to flow towards the nipple. If you are latching, ensure that you use one hand to hold firmly of the breast with a U-hold. When you are ready to latch on your baby, ensure that your baby's tongue is sticking out and not curled up. Otherwise, the latch won't be successful.

After each feed, use some breast milk to rub on the breast, can help to relieve sore breast.

Last edited:

whomovedmycheese

congrats cass!! most important thing is that both of u are safe n healthy!

my nipples are sore too as my bb likes to suck real hard.
i jus started pumping today at day 4.
both sides total 50-60ml...hope can satisfy my boy boy....
he's always v hungry, can suck for an hour even... v scary!!
If your nipple is sore, you might not be latching on correctly. Must be careful!

whomovedmycheese

Hi all, I've delivered my bb boy on mat 23 via emergency c sec. I was induced the nite before. Then next day doc broke water bag n I went into labor for 5 hours. It was extremely painful as i didn't want any pain relief. But, during last 30mins, doc found bb heartbeat fall every time I have contractions.. So, went for c sec. Found out that bb cord was around his shoulder! Good thing doc suggested c sec. My boy is 2.74kg. I've been bf since then. But my supply is so low that i supplement with fm. I've been drinking so much red date water n soup. How do i increase supply? Also my nipples r v sore. Help!
Congrats!!!

lsy

My auntie told me I need to pump every 2 hours to stimulate milk flow. Don't be too aggressive too.

Based on the lactation consultant I visited, she say if we are pumping out milk, we should at most do 3 sets of 5 mins. Before each time we feed or set of 5 min pump, we should use a hot towel to hot press for 5-10 min to soften the blocked ducts. After that, massage the breast with the palm. First massage the nipple then the 3,6,9,12 o'clock position with the palm. After that use the palm to push the breast at the 3,6,9,12 o'clock position towards the aerola, so as to push the milk to flow towards the nipple. If you are latching, ensure that you use one hand to hold firmly of the breast with a U-hold. When you are ready to latch on your baby, ensure that your baby's tongue is sticking out and not curled up. Otherwise, the latch won't be successful.

After each feed, use some breast milk to rub on the breast, can help to relieve sore breast.
Ya when baby is crying kinda difficult to do all the warming n massage preparation.
How often do u feed your baby currently? Got timing or not?
If pump 2 hourly is coincide with baby feeding time. If pump after feed to empty breast wouldn't it be too little milk left? So r u combining whole day milk into 1 bottle?
At times I'm very lost in terms of asking "is my baby full or is it she just wanted to sleep" now she's whining despite finish her meal. Carry ok but put down to sleep cry again.

whomovedmycheese

Ya when baby is crying kinda difficult to do all the warming n massage preparation.
How often do u feed your baby currently? Got timing or not?
If pump 2 hourly is coincide with baby feeding time. If pump after feed to empty breast wouldn't it be too little milk left? So r u combining whole day milk into 1 bottle?
At times I'm very lost in terms of asking "is my baby full or is it she just wanted to sleep" now she's whining despite finish her meal. Carry ok but put down to sleep cry again.
Do you feed on demand? Hmmm.... so far my baby's timing is 2-2.5hours. Err usually she only drink on 1 breast and I try not to disturb her coz she's taking the hind milk which is higher in fats? Today she's able to latch for 20 over min and my breast feels more empty after that. Previously I always switch breast after 10-12 min, but what she got was only front milk, so it's not rich enough to fill her. On the other hand, I let my other breast to leak. Sometimes it can leak to 60-70ml. After that, I don't really pump unless the leaking breast still feel engorged. Then only pump 5 min.

I am also confused about the storage of milk. Now I store my milk in those sample milk bottles I got from the nursery. If I pump, I think at most it can store 1 pump. Coz I have some bigger milk bottles, my CL will pour some of the milk into them. But I am thinking, would it be more clean to separate the milk into different feed?

Same. I don't know what is enough for her. My baby a bit funny. At times when I want her to latch longer, she very fast fall asleep or so. Yet at times when I m rushing for time, she can feed for very very long.. Lol.

O ya!! If your baby falls asleep, you might want to tap her chin to wake her up. The LC say when the baby stops sucking, count 5. If she doesn't continue, then tap her chin and she will suck again.

lsy

Do you feed on demand? Hmmm.... so far my baby's timing is 2-2.5hours. Err usually she only drink on 1 breast and I try not to disturb her coz she's taking the hind milk which is higher in fats? Today she's able to latch for 20 over min and my breast feels more empty after that. Previously I always switch breast after 10-12 min, but what she got was only front milk, so it's not rich enough to fill her. On the other hand, I let my other breast to leak. Sometimes it can leak to 60-70ml. After that, I don't really pump unless the leaking breast still feel engorged. Then only pump 5 min.

I am also confused about the storage of milk. Now I store my milk in those sample milk bottles I got from the nursery. If I pump, I think at most it can store 1 pump. Coz I have some bigger milk bottles, my CL will pour some of the milk into them. But I am thinking, would it be more clean to separate the milk into different feed?

Same. I don't know what is enough for her. My baby a bit funny. At times when I want her to latch longer, she very fast fall asleep or so. Yet at times when I m rushing for time, she can feed for very very long.. Lol.

O ya!! If your baby falls asleep, you might want to tap her chin to wake her up. The LC say when the baby stops sucking, count 5. If she doesn't continue, then tap her chin and she will suck again.
Like the 5 sec count thing. Thanks for this info. I did not time anymore which sometimes I will forget when I last feed her. My baby so far is 2 hrs -3 hrs too. Sometimes when she sleeping soundly mummy say dun wake her for milk coz baby grow when they sleep too.
Sometimes 2.5 hr up I get her to latch she doesn't suck as fast as when she's hungry. Plus she only suck 3 mins then back to dreamland. When hungry will suck bout 10 mins to 15 mins max. Ya suck longer to get hind milk they say after 6 mins or so only will get hm.

lsy

Whomovedmycheese, if lc say pump 5 mins before feeding aren't we pumping away foremilk? When u r extracting ur engorged breast a little that will mainly be foremilk too right? Still storing foremilk for feeding?

esther kuan

The LC at KK suggested keeping a simple log to record feeding times, pee n poo timing n all other miscellaneous info that might be important.
So i just use an old exercise book n write down, day by day format.
Found it rather useful cos when during jaundice check, doc asks how often feed, poo etc, can just refer to book.
Also, u can see a clearer pattern after a few days n if your Mum/MIL/CL complain that baby's not drinking frequently, never poo etc etc, you'll have 'hard evidence' to prove it! kekeke.....

lsy

The LC at KK suggested keeping a simple log to record feeding times, pee n poo timing n all other miscellaneous info that might be important.
So i just use an old exercise book n write down, day by day format.
Found it rather useful cos when during jaundice check, doc asks how often feed, poo etc, can just refer to book.
Also, u can see a clearer pattern after a few days n if your Mum/MIL/CL complain that baby's not drinking frequently, never poo etc etc, you'll have 'hard evidence' to prove it! kekeke.....
I used the log for 4 days. Got online temPlates can print.

whomovedmycheese

Whomovedmycheese, if lc say pump 5 mins before feeding aren't we pumping away foremilk? When u r extracting ur engorged breast a little that will mainly be foremilk too right? Still storing foremilk for feeding?
Hmmm.. yes.. will be foremilk. I think the main idea is that, because baby will reject hard breast. So after the 5 min of pumping, the breast will soften a little and baby will latch on more easily. So far haven't tried out the 5 min pump yet.