Employ a maid to look after newborn?

leefionyap

Hi everyone,

I intend to employ a maid to look after my newborn due next march.

Did any mummies here employ a maid to look after their newborn?

At night, did your baby sleep on the same bed with your maid (a queen size bed) or baby sleep on in a cot?

How long can the baby sleep in a cot before it become too small for them?

During the daytime, the maid and the baby will be at my mum place, thus is there any thing i need to take note during night time?

autumn82

Hi there.. Welcome~~ :)

I never dare to employ a maid coz of sooo many horrible news abt maids ill-treating newborns and no one is ard to see to her.

At nite, both my kids since newborn have been sleeping on the baby cot. I bought those cots that can be transformed into toddler bed so until 4yr old, my DD can still sleep in it comfortably. Depends on the size of cot u r buying..

Who is gonna feed the newborn his/her nitefeeds? Think by law, maids are supposed to sleep in the nite to rest. But some maids can help u out with the nite feeds too. Is the bb gonna sleep in ur room or w the maid? If in ur room, can she wake up & come into ur room to feed?

January84

let your bb sleep in a cot.

even if your maid is not a heavy slper, in case she will roll onver to your bb.
but, a nanny will be more prefered that maid - my opinion.

CanCanMum

i think maid + baby = no no...(yea, so many cases of maids hitting bb wo any1 knowing)

if maid + baby + mum = ok (coz yr mum is 100% trustworthy)

i do heard before tat some mummies let their bb sleep with maids...of coz in a baby cot, not together. Not sure if tats a good solution becoz i still think that maid shdnt be left alone with a bb...

Hi everyone,

At night, did your baby sleep on the same bed with your maid (a queen size bed) or baby sleep on in a cot?

During the daytime, the maid and the baby will be at my mum place, thus is there any thing i need to take note during night time?

sorry, may i ask why you have opted to let your maid take care of your newborn, instead of your mother? isn't your newborn better off being cared for by a blood relation rather than a stranger? your maid is an employee of your household whom you pay to fulfill certain duties. their obligation is therefore to fulfill those duties, not to "care for" or "love" or "handle [your newborn] with care".

sorry if i sound harsh but it's beyond me why anyone would want to entrust the fragile life of someone they love so much into the hands of an absolute stranger.

instead of hiring a maid to look after your newborn, why don't you hire one to finish all the household tasks, and entrust the care of your newborn to your mother?

leefionyap

Actually i pretty against of employing a maid in the first place also due to the horrible story i have hear. i intend to place my newborn in a infant care center at first.

i stay in woodland and i my mum stay in the east, at old airport old, near national stadium. it very far from my place. my husband had fall out with his parent and we have not contact for years.

i actually want to move to my mother area, but the selling price of their flat there for a 5 room flat is almost 600k, 4 room flat is around 450k and the people there is asking for 50k cash. currently i living in a 5 room flat and if i need to shift, i need to take bank loan and need 5% cash for downpayment. Thus if i need to move to my mum area, i need at least 80K cash.

My mum is 57 years old this yr, 3 dyas in a week, she have to look after my elder sister son which is 2 yr old. my mum health is not good in the past 2 yr, thus letting take care of my baby and my sister son is not a good ideal. she was in hospital twice this year. she still have to take care of the housework.

i do not want to have a weekend kid, so i wont' want to leave my child in my mother care during weekday, and beside her health is not good.

the cost of putting the child in a infant care is almost the same employing a maid. thus at least the maid can help me do housework.

the maid reason i do not want to employ a maid because i do not want to leave my child and the maid alone. Since my husband promise that he will drive our child and the maid to my mother place every weekday morning, i agree to employ a maid. the maid can help my mother do housework, then my mum will take care of the kids. Then at night, we will fetch them home.

The main role of the maid will be taking care of the housework, i never want my child to grow up closer to a outsider.

my idiot husband say dun want to sleep with the child in the early days, say will disturb his sleep. Thus will let the child sleep with maid first, but i will buy those walkie and place one in my room, so i will know if my child wake up in the middle of the night. Maybe, when the child is bigger, then will let my child sleep with us.

Hope within 3 yrs, i can save up enough to move to my mother area.

January84

in this case, would u want to consider to sleep with your child and ask your DH in another room?

this is still better then letting your maid to slp with your child.

Dee Ho

Hi everyone,

Hi! My personal suggestion is not to hire a maid for the aim to "take care of yr new born / baby" as they are not suitable to do this important role of taking care of yr baby...

For me, I opt to hire a nanny to take care of my bb when i go work and I ll carry home when I knock off ...though at first the tot of this is tiring but as u go along... I kinda of enjoy this and I can lose weight quite fast...as also I do my hse work during wkend..):Dancing_wub:

To me maid is to help for domestic tasks.... not really train to take care of babies or infant... I cannot trust maid to handle babies... even if they have experience...

My bb sleep in his on cot at nite... (as I read its best & safe to let bb sleep in his own cot as this bulids his ability to be independent & saftey issue is more important) and now my bb "sleeps on his own" and he knows that this is his own bed and he will snuggle easily in his own cot and sleep on his own... I nic not to pad pad him to zzzzzzz anymore... and he sleeps better!!!

:win:

the maid reason i do not want to employ a maid because i do not want to leave my child and the maid alone. Since my husband promise that he will drive our child and the maid to my mother place every weekday morning, i agree to employ a maid. the maid can help my mother do housework, then my mum will take care of the kids. Then at night, we will fetch them home.

hi leefionyap, thx for clarifying. i empathise with your situation. however, i wouldn't encourage driving your newborn up & down everyday while they are still below 3 mths because the travel will be very taxing for them. maybe during your confinement you can stay fulltime @ your mummy's place.

WRT your DH & baby ... i agree mebbe you can move out to a separate room just for you & bb. your bb will need attention at least once or twice every night when s/he wakes up for their night feed. if your maid is too tired they might oversleep, then your bb will go hungry.

also, they are not the mother to your baby so they won't have that "mother's instinct". what i mean by this is ... sometimes as a mother no matter how tired or exhausted you are if your baby cries for you at night you will automatically hear & wake up. this is one of the wonders of nature =)

lastly, strongly encourage for you to put baby in cot simply because baby sleeping with adults present many dangers (adult rolling over baby, suffocation etc). also if baby sleeps with you all the time you will have problems shifting her to her own cot / room when she's older because she will be dependent on your physical presence to let her sleep.

January84

hi leefionyap, thx for clarifying. i empathise with your situation. however, i wouldn't encourage driving your newborn up & down everyday while they are still below 3 mths because the travel will be very taxing for them. maybe during your confinement you can stay fulltime @ your mummy's place.

WRT your DH & baby ... i agree mebbe you can move out to a separate room just for you & bb. your bb will need attention at least once or twice every night when s/he wakes up for their night feed. if your maid is too tired they might oversleep, then your bb will go hungry.

also, they are not the mother to your baby so they won't have that "mother's instinct". what i mean by this is ... sometimes as a mother no matter how tired or exhausted you are if your baby cries for you at night you will automatically hear & wake up. this is one of the wonders of nature =)

lastly, strongly encourage for you to put baby in cot simply because baby sleeping with adults present many dangers (adult rolling over baby, suffocation etc). also if baby sleeps with you all the time you will have problems shifting her to her own cot / room when she's older because she will be dependent on your physical presence to let her sleep.
yup, agree with weefee mummy. other then taxing, NB will feel irritated too from the rides...

i strongly think we mothers should sleep with our baby not maid. I am a FTWM with a 6mths old baby. Eversince i started work after my ML,my maid look after my 2 children. The eldest is 5yo. Somehow,I could see that my maid is good with infant & child care. She herself is a mother of 3 grown up children in her hometown (indo). My mom will drop by occasionally to spend time with my children. Once i reach home,I will make the effort to bathe my kids. My 5yo now sleep in his own room (with a baby monitor so i can hear his cries if he wants to sheeshee/milk) Baby sleeps (in cot) with me & DH. I think it's good to look after yr baby yrself at night so yr maid will hv sufficient rest to look aft yr baby during the day.

Cheyenne

Hi Leefionyap, I agree with the mummies that you should try to spend time with BB. Can't your mum come over to stay for you for a while ? In this way, she can 'test' your maid.

There is a new infant care place near Blk 892C (drive 50) and I'm also thinking of trying out when I'm due in Jun 09. At current, I do know there there are a few baby sitter near drive 50, as I always saw them in the morning when moms passes their baby to the baby sitter.

There is an auntie that used to take care of my DD a few year back. I think she is not too bad, plus she got teenages kids to help us. Let me know if you want her contacts to talk to her.

chenhuizhu

:wong19:I did employed maid after I giviing birth coz after my confinement I had to go back to work. But of course I still had a father-in-law help to watch out the maid if not it not safe to employ one. But do remember that dont let her have off day (of course have to pay her for that off day upon agreement), if not she easily learn bad from other after she had mixed around. Even I dont let my maid go market alone or even bring my son go downstair unless with me. This is to prevent her to mixed around and turn bad. I had experience on that coz my mum maid is an example.

Dont let your baby sleep with her coz as time go long, your baby grow up she use to her smell and wont stick with you, especially if one day she go back home then you got problem already.