ending my bfdg career at 30 mths :(

sleepymama

Hello all breastfeeding mommies,

Just want to share that I will finally be ending my breastfeeding career... today I should be pumping my very last session tonight! It's been 30 months!

Suffered three cases of mastitis during the first year, had over-supply problem, freezer problem - once fridge broke down and I had to rush to 'save' my BM by borrowing two neighbours' freezers space! Had too much EBM and gave away two packs every day......... those were the early days!

It was hardwork and lots and lots of perseverence - turning a death ear to all the ignorant grannies and aunties as I know that BM is the best for my baby, overcoming all the challenges like finding time to pump twice at work, clearing blocked ducts, etc etc.

The best is when baby latches on, knowing he's getting the best from mommy, bonding with him and giving him the security and love he needs as he grows!

No regrets, in fact a bit sad to end my bfdg career... supply has been dropping since I fell sick 5 months ago, a tough battle to keep it up. Raised my targets three times and I'm glad I've met it! Now, I only get like half oz after 2-3 days. I think it's time to hang up my pump now :)

All breastfeeding mommies, jia you jia you! It's one gift only mommies can give so keep it up for as long as you can :)

1568mummy

*clap clap clap* I'm clapping for your determination, your courage and your undying spirit to give the best for your child.

I went through 'hell' with my MIL over this issue. so much so I went into depression... She was completely AGAINST IT! OMG! so glad its over.

Pumping during work was so damn tough because I'm in my retail business. Long hours and definitely don't have the luxury of pumping time over at my pushcarts. Breastfed my elder one (on and off) for 4months and my younger one for 6 full months completely on BM only! Yeah!

Their health alone shows the big impact of BM on the child. My younger hardly falls sick but my elder one (aiyo! you can read from my blog postS) is sick so often and last quite long too...

30months is amazing!!!! I can understand the sadness. When I stop after 6months, I was sad too, but YOU! 30MONTHS! oh boy! that's 5times the sadness leh!!!!

You did a fantastic job, Mommy! :Dancing_wub:

congratulations :red: breastfeeding is the second best gift a mother has for her child - the first being giving them LIFE of course! but i will admit here that while i had all the same intentions, i did not have the peserverence, so kudos to you! only managed full for a month, & fm mix on second month. stopped completely by 8 weeks.

i will however try HARDER with my second one (planned for second half next year eheh). will be just as much a challenge too because i think bm production is genetic - my mother's family never had the good fortune of overflowing supplies :bsad:

Wow sleepymama, you are super!!! 30mths!! That's such a long time...

Breastfeeding is indeed tough. After experiencing it for 3 wks, I'm starting to feel scared... like y my baby keep crying, feeding, etc. Is he growing well? So many qns... Think I need to ask you for more advice. ;)

sleepymama

Thanks all for sharing... my boy was on total BM till around 23months when my supply dipped badly due to a very bad case of stomach flu. Supplemented with 1 FM but gradually increased FM as supply continued to fall :( Had to work very hard to try and sustain it but it become really tough within the next couple of months. May be also cos of change of work portfolio (more stress ~~) and change of maid at home (even more stress ~~~) so couldn't keep up anymore :(

But ya, I'm happy to have achieved my target set and tried my best for my boy :)

BabiesNCream, sure, would be most happy to share my experience with you. :) Can post your questions in the forum so all experienced bf mommies can chip in too and young mommies can join in the discussions as well :)

oblong

Sleepymama, I salute you. Though I have been exclusive breastfeeding for the past 3 months, and have made a lot of prep to go back to work next wed, I'm now seriously considering whether to give it all up in 1 months' time.

I keep having lochia discharge after nursing my baby. My OBGYN advised that as I am exclusive breastfeeding hence there will be discharge.

Seems like the only way to stop the discharge is to stop breastfeeding..... But being a mummy, I really wanted to give my DS the best as I felt I have owed him too much (my preg was very stressful and he is born deaf).

Feeling very upset now.

vonn81

wow..very impressive. 30mths of bf ...hmmm cant imagine that. when ur bb takes solid food already how many times do u feed? :)