Episiotomy & Vaginal Exam

Seastar

Hi Mummies,

Just asked my gynae if I can escape from episiotomy during labor, he said I might need one. I am freaked-out and thinking of C-Sect. Anyone experienced it? How about the healing process? Also, how about Vaginal Exam to measure how many cm dilation? is it painful? I'm quite anxious and don't know what to expect. Still considering if I should go for C-Sect since I can't take so much stress. Any advice? how to make a right decision? they are pros and cons... :err:

marshmallows

Erm why do you choose c-section over episiotomy? C-section wound takes longer to heal than episiotomy, not to mention you'll have a scar on your tummy for c-section.

Episiotomy is not as scary as you think. If you are on epidural, you may not even feel the gynea cutting you. I was not on epidural but I only felt slight pain when my gynea cut me there, becos my contraction pain was far worse than the cut LOL. In fact I wouldn't choose c-section over episiotomy unless I have birth complications or if baby is in breech position.

dont't worry so much gal :) for all you know, you may not even need an episiotomy afterall. There are mummies who gave birth with only slight tear or no tear at all.

verieying

hi seastar,

like marshmallow mummy has shared, the pain is slight compared to labour pain, if you go natural wo epidural, so you barely feel it. of course the stiching takes time to heal and you have to clean it daily, but with a good gynae, the stitches doesn't hurt that much?

personally, i wanted to go natural as i really want to feel what's itz's like - no offence to mummies who opt for c section. just personal preference:001_302:
for c section, it generally takes longer to heal fr hearsay or comments, but of course i also know of mummies who are out shopping 2 weeksafter their c section?

as for vaginal examination, the pain is... like having a pap smear? slight discomfort or very. short pain that's all.

dont't worry too much, it's part ofthe pregnancy exoeriences that you wouldn't think about after you see your beautiful baby in your arms! ;)

Last edited:

marshmallows

Btw studies have shown that babies born by vaginal birth have considerable lower risk of respiratory problems. The compression of the baby’s thorax expels the amniotic fluid during the birth process and helps to prepare the lungs to breathe air. The passage through the birth canal stimulates the baby’s cardiovascular system, which boosts blood circulation and primes the baby for birth. There is evidence that this process also has long term benefits for the baby’s co-ordination.

Vaginal Birth Benefits, Natural Birth, Natural Childbirth Benefits

Seastar

Thanks so much for your kind sharing. so much appreciated. My anxiety level has been reduced after read your posts. Btw, how long the healing period for the stiches? How does it feel when go for toilet? If I go for natural, I will have epidural. Btw, what happen if baby can't come out after you push and push? Will I end up with Csect at the end? I'm sorry... it sounds like a lot of silly questions but I really don't know:) hahaha... I like this forum... it's like a Mothers'Support Group. Found it's very helpful when you don't know what to do and confused. I feel "paishe" to ask friends as they also say "don't worry..."

marshmallows

My stitches was completely dissolved by end of 2nd week or early 3rd week if I remember correctly. Of cos as with any other wound that requires stitching, there will be pain especially in the first few days. After that i just felt kinda bruised down there thats all. U may wanna standby a swimming float to sit on as it will help tremendously. I sat on my circular breastfeeding pillow cos I didn't have a float :p

Also, remember to get stool softener from your gynea before u discharge. My gynea assured me that my stitches will not burst when I poo poo but I was too scared. Stool softener helped alot! No need to exert so much when u poo. Don't worry, the nurses in hospital will teach u how to clean yourself after u pee pee.

During the pushing baby out stage, depending on how far the baby's head has descended, the gynea may assist your delivery via forceps or vacuum if you really can't push your baby out. If the baby's head is not far down enough and baby's heartbeat is slowing down, an emergency c-section will be required.

panpan

Just to add on regarding the episotomy, I chose not to have it and had a 2nd degree natural tear for my first delivery. It depends on your skin's ability to stretch though I have done some perinal massage. Mine will take abt 3wks to heal completely. :)

I had epidural during delivery and I didn't feel a thing when my gynae made the cut. All i could think of was PUSH! haha... but i needed assistance and my gynae used vacuum to 'suck' my daughter out. I also didn't feel anything when he stitched me up.

But few hours after delivery, the nurse came and accompanied me to the toilet and taught me how to pee and clean the wound ans assured that it will heal nicely. My episiotomy healed completely after 3 to 4 weeks. It was painful initially but I was still able to walk around at home. So don't worry.

Vaginal exam is just some discomfort and is not painful to me... nothing is as painful as contractions. Lol.

Just relax and enjoy the process. Nothing beats seeing ur darling baby in ur arms. Everything is worth it as long as ur baby is healthy. :001_302:

lyra

I had episiotomy and a deep tear. I felt nothing when doctor cut because I had epidural. Its not the episiotomy and but deep tear that caused me lots of pain when the epidural effect wears off! If u dun have a tear at all, U shd be able to stand n walk very well on the first day. My friend had no tear and her episiomtomy is not very painful and heals fast.

Even with a tear, the wound and stitches heal very fast. I'm back to normal by the time I discharge which is 4 days after giving birth, and the wound heals in 1 month. Another friend who had C-sect felt pain for weeks after discharge and the wound will only completely heal by 6 months!

So of course episiotomy is way better than C-sect. Unless u have no choice but to do emergency C-sect.

thank you for sharing, lyra. i suppose that's why women are biologically made to give birth via vaginal birth, rather than human way of C-sect, unless really necessary...

ast0212

You may not even need an episiotomy....

I gave birth naturally with no episiotomy or tearing. It is possible... my baby is average size - head circumference 34cm but he came out with his hand over his head so I had to stretch a bit more than that!

From what I've read, episiotomy is often for the benefit of the caregiver - to make the birth happen faster. The whole process of labour allows the vagina to stretch slowly and naturally for baby to come out. There's some info here: Episiotomy** » Home Birth Choices

Apfel

Actually I've read that the medical community no longer believes that there are benefits in routine episiotomies (perform it by default whether or not there is a clear need). It is not true that a cut will heal better than a natural tear. I think.. the chance that a cut will propagate when stressed is even higher than a natural tear since the very sharp end of the cut is a point of very high stress concentration.

Episiotomy - Do you need one to give birth?

I asked my gynae about the need for an episiotomy when I was almost due and she agreed with me that episiotomy should not be performed unless I really require it. I ended up with just a small tear that healed nicely in 2 weeks.

As for vaginal exams.. it really depends on your gynae. Mine was very gentle and I felt no discomfort. :)