Everyday only eat outside food

Kace

Hi MTBs,

I would like to ask if I'm still in my first trimester (5 weeks now) and I have always been eating outside food from hawkers/restaurants etc and never home-cooked food due to my situation and person circumstances.

Is it safe ?
Will it affect my baby ?

Just worried as I've not seen my gynae yet so in the mean time I would appreciate your advices.

roudx

It would be okay. I also ate outside food everyday because everyone in the family is working. No one is free to cook at home. So everyday I settle my meals outside. Just don't go to stalls you know are super unhygienic. But other than that I think should be okay.

KiBin

should be ok to eat outside food.. just make sure you try to get healthier varieties and also avoid food that are not well cooked...

Hi ! I'm also the same, always eat out. Like Kibin mentioned, take healthier food and no undercooked and raw food (no medium rare steaks and sushi :( ).
But i must say initially not so easy.. in the first few weeks i was happily eating egg mayo sandwiches until it hit me that mayo usually contains raw eggs. Thankfully nothing happened and lesson now learnt. haha.
Just take it easy but be abit more conscious and you'll be fine! All the best! :wewink:

Qookie

It's inevitable that busy working people don't have the time to cook. I totally understand your situation. Try to cook on weekends maybe? :p

Opt for healthier alternatives like soup noodles. Also, ask for more veggies, less salt, less oil.

Stay away from anything raw/half-cooked/unclean- such as cockles (those in char kway teow or laksa), rojak, hams, salads, sushi, soft boiled eggs or even cai fan at dinner time (some of the food have been left there for the whole day). Basically, anything pipping hot is safe.

This is an excellent document to read:
http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/_Documents/consumer_pdf/pregnancy-brochure.pdf

Hope it's helpful! ;) Good luck on your pregnancy!

Kace

Oh good. Thanks for all your suggestions and advice. Makes me feel better now and I'm not alone haha.

Now that Qookie mentioned about caifan, then I realised that ya there may be houseflies around sitting on the food during the day when the food is left at the window. Makes it kind of dirty like that.

KiBin

also take note that you need to eat sufficient fruits and vege... this is because most pregnant women bowels move slower and if you do not get sufficient fibre, you might constipate..

Qookie

Oh yes, and also be wary of those raw slices of cucumber they put in chicken rice! They might look seemingly innocent...haha! :)

When i went for my Prenatal class, the instructor told us not eating soft serve (eg: Macs ice cream, Yami yoghurt, etc.). Somehow a lot of people in the class didn't know that. So just a heads-up ;)

Yeah, when i was pregnant, i would only get my cai fan from crowded stalls, because you know they have to 'refill' their food pretty fast. And i wouldn't eat cai fan for dinner.

When you're pregnant, you have hormones in you that lower your immune system. So the last thing you want is to get food poisoning. Choose what you eat wisely.

Kace

Ohh. Thanks for the tips everyone ^^~
I didn't know Yami yoghurt must avoid.

Some fruits cannot eat right ? Like pineapple what else ? Orange, banana, papaya, kiwi, green apple .. ? > <

hmmm some ppl believe shd avoid 'cooling' fruits like water melon.. and they say pineapple causes miscarriage (l hear this everywhere but still dunno y)

but personally i'm not that pantang and my doc say all fruits are good as long as fresh and clean. i dont eat watermelon in front of my mil coz she told me dun eat. though i might have a slice on my own when i feel like.

it's really up to you how far you want to 'restrict' your diet, or how many beliefs you want to follow? for me i listen to my doc(who says eat fresh and fully cooked food), and follow what the old folks say as long as not extreme and sounds reasonable, or just to not offend them and be the dutiful daughter/ Daughter in law.

Kace

Haha, yea .. But they always say safe than sorry. Many said about the pineapples, but what if the pineapples are cooked ? Also can't eat ? haha.
Or those pineapples baked on top of the pizza.

skt

I think better don't eat pineapples even if they are cooked. Papaya and watermelon are not recommended as they may cause Jaundice to the baby.

I take apples once every 2,3 days, purple grapes once a week.

I had outside food on almost every weekdays too. It's only during weekends when I go to my mum's place for home-cooked food. But definitely no overnight food ya.

my mil say cooked pineapple is ok. the papaya and banana they say dun eat those hard unripe ones. and too many oranges cause baby to have phlegm.

so some ppl avoid these completely, but for others moderation is key. no right or wrong de..its up to ur beliefs, so dun feel bad if u r different.
also up to ur body.. there was a time for me when only oranges qualm my nausea. haha. but now i stopped alrdy.

lynntoh

what are the types of food that will cause jaundice to baby? my mom say dn take too much curry as it contains alot of 黄姜.. cause i took alot of curry gravy for my first kid and poor girl of mine stayed in hospital for so many days cause of jaundice. so my 2nd pregnancy I also abit cautious although stym really cannot resist curry

sicapie

I believe that it is fine. So long that you ensure that the place you dine in have good hygiene practices, and that your intake consist for ample of fruits, veggie and protein, it shouldn't pose any problem. But, try to refrain from eating any raw meat.

arielyxt

Haha, yea .. But they always say safe than sorry. Many said about the pineapples, but what if the pineapples are cooked ? Also can't eat ? haha.
Or those pineapples baked on top of the pizza.
Hi Kace!
I think I can understand your predicament. Busy lifestyle = no time to cook. I think like what roudx and KiBin said, refrain from eating unhygenically prepared food. Besides that do watch out for certain foods such as undercooked eggs, which may contain salmonella (a group of bacteria that can potentially cause food poisoning), and deli meats which may contain Listeriosis (which may in turn lead to dire situations such as miscarriage, premature delivery, etc). Pregnant.sg has a list of unsafe foods that pregnant women should refrain from and you can find that on this page - 8 unsafe foods to eat while pregnant - Pregnant in SingaporePregnant in Singapore – Pregnancy for Singaporeans

As to whether you should consume pineapples, I don't think it's got to do with whether it's cooked. I do believe, however, that it's important to eat in moderation. That being said, you should always consult your gynae with regards to your nutrition. I'm sure he/she would be glad to address your concerns.

Rest and eat well!

Kace

Hi Kace!
I think I can understand your predicament. Busy lifestyle = no time to cook. I think like what roudx and KiBin said, refrain from eating unhygenically prepared food. Besides that do watch out for certain foods such as undercooked eggs, which may contain salmonella (a group of bacteria that can potentially cause food poisoning), and deli meats which may contain Listeriosis (which may in turn lead to dire situations such as miscarriage, premature delivery, etc). Pregnant.sg has a list of unsafe foods that pregnant women should refrain from and you can find that on this page - 8 unsafe foods to eat while pregnant - Pregnant in SingaporePregnant in Singapore – Pregnancy for Singaporeans

As to whether you should consume pineapples, I don't think it's got to do with whether it's cooked. I do believe, however, that it's important to eat in moderation. That being said, you should always consult your gynae with regards to your nutrition. I'm sure he/she would be glad to address your concerns.

Rest and eat well!
Oh I see ! Thanks :D I went for my appointment but I forgotten to consult the doctor on that haha.
Ya, everyone is always saying eat in moderation. But I'm not sure how often or less is "moderation" measured.
How many times a week or month is considered safe ?

roudx

I eat pineapple too. It's not scientific proven that pineapple can make you miscarriage (just like the old folks tale)
But I don't eat often. Only when I feel like it. So far, till now I only ate 2-3 times of pineapple, only 1 piece from those fruit stalls (Am 30 weeks now)
So should be okay.
My friend's sis told me when she just got to know she's pregnant, she stuff herself with pineapples but no use ( wasn't married and only 17 ) But it didn't miscarriage like she thinks, so she kept the baby. So I think the pineapple myth is untrue lol.

But I heard from my friend who told me to stay away from stingrays (My favorite !!) Because stingrays have those small small stungs? Don't know what it means. But I know she meant that if I eat stingrays that happened to have it, it will poke my water bag. Even those experienced fish mongers wouldn't know which stingrays had it. And we who ate it, wouldn't know ... It's not like those fish bones.. I think more like sardine type of bone but have the capable of breaking our water bag. That's why I keep away from Stingrays since day 1 ... Better be careful than regret haha..

Kace

I eat pineapple too. It's not scientific proven that pineapple can make you miscarriage (just like the old folks tale)
But I don't eat often. Only when I feel like it. So far, till now I only ate 2-3 times of pineapple, only 1 piece from those fruit stalls (Am 30 weeks now)
So should be okay.
My friend's sis told me when she just got to know she's pregnant, she stuff herself with pineapples but no use ( wasn't married and only 17 ) But it didn't miscarriage like she thinks, so she kept the baby. So I think the pineapple myth is untrue lol.

But I heard from my friend who told me to stay away from stingrays (My favorite !!) Because stingrays have those small small stungs? Don't know what it means. But I know she meant that if I eat stingrays that happened to have it, it will poke my water bag. Even those experienced fish mongers wouldn't know which stingrays had it. And we who ate it, wouldn't know ... It's not like those fish bones.. I think more like sardine type of bone but have the capable of breaking our water bag. That's why I keep away from Stingrays since day 1 ... Better be careful than regret haha..
Ya ! I know, if it was so easy to get miscarriage, then who need abortion when they can just eat pineapple or cooling foods.
Oh, so sad, I didn't know stingrays have to avoid. So sad :( I love stingrays too.
Do you often eat spicy food ? haha