Experienced bf mummies-I need advise!

Kimjames

hehe..ur most welcome! we mummies have to share info! =) It really depends on whether you find it worth it to spend around an additional $135 on 6 bottles, a bag and a brush...I decided that it wasn't. I managed to find some bm bottles that could fit the breast pump for really cheap outside cause the size is actually quite universal. as for bringing the pump around..i just popped it in my bag.. =) but do go and have a look and you will have a better idea..if you want to have a look at the bottles i bought that can fit..just pm me ur number and I will whatsapp you the pic of the bottle so u know what I mean. =)

Lepcha

1) Most recommended electric breast pump seems to be Medela. Is there any other good alternatives which is not as expensive as Madela? Would like to hear other brand users which are satisfied with their electric breast pump that are not too ex.
You can actually get a cheaper good quality Medela breastpump from Amazon and get an external courier to ship it to Singapore. I did that and my Pump in style cost only $380 plus shipping and in Singapore it goes to $600 ~$700.

2) For mummies who works fulltime outside home - How do you store your breast milk at work? Do you bring a cooler bag to work?? or do you share the same fridge in the pantry with everyone else?? there's a fridge in my office area but i dont know why i feel like im going to be uncomfortable putting my ebm in that fridge! so confuse...
I bring a cooler bag with an ice-pack in it for the past 2 years at work. I refreeze the ice pack when I get to work first in the freezer and then just transfer it to my cooler bag after I express and store the bag in the fridge, this is a little kiasu since an ice pack + cooler bag can keep EBM fresh for up to 24 hours.

3) Lastly, do you bring your breast pump to the hospital for use after deliver? is it even advisable to pump after delivery?
I used the one at the hospital which was a Medela hospital grade pump, very good, but I gave up after a while because direct latching, though challenging is actually better. Don't bring your own, too many things to luge around and bring to and fro.

4)If let's say my baby can't really latch initially and i give her ebm in bottle, should i worry which kind/ brand of bottle teat to use to prevent nipple confusion? and is my question actually valid??
I was very worried that my baby will reject my nipple so I refused any bottles for the 1st month to avoid confusion but I started him on Medela's breastfeeding nipple and he didn't have problems at all and no rejection. The main reason babies reject nipple after weaning to bottle is because it's less work for the baby to suck, it's immediate gratification, so using the Medela Calma nipple makes them work for the milk so they will not become lazy, so to speak.

amberkl

HI, 1) i use Ameda, its quite good. Try to get he electric double pump, it saves time and i read somewhere that double pumping is more efficient; 2) sorry cant answer this; 3) i didnt bring the pump to hospital. Just try to relax and enjoy bf-ing your child, if u feel pain, do not hesitate to ask for help from the lactation consultant. the NUH consultant is very - Sister Wong.

Nathaniel Mummy

Thanks a lot Lepcha for your reply!

Your explaination for no. 4 is really informative and helpful :)

1) Most recommended electric breast pump seems to be Medela. Is there any other good alternatives which is not as expensive as Madela? Would like to hear other brand users which are satisfied with their electric breast pump that are not too ex.
You can actually get a cheaper good quality Medela breastpump from Amazon and get an external courier to ship it to Singapore. I did that and my Pump in style cost only $380 plus shipping and in Singapore it goes to $600 ~$700.

2) For mummies who works fulltime outside home - How do you store your breast milk at work? Do you bring a cooler bag to work?? or do you share the same fridge in the pantry with everyone else?? there's a fridge in my office area but i dont know why i feel like im going to be uncomfortable putting my ebm in that fridge! so confuse...
I bring a cooler bag with an ice-pack in it for the past 2 years at work. I refreeze the ice pack when I get to work first in the freezer and then just transfer it to my cooler bag after I express and store the bag in the fridge, this is a little kiasu since an ice pack + cooler bag can keep EBM fresh for up to 24 hours.

3) Lastly, do you bring your breast pump to the hospital for use after deliver? is it even advisable to pump after delivery?
I used the one at the hospital which was a Medela hospital grade pump, very good, but I gave up after a while because direct latching, though challenging is actually better. Don't bring your own, too many things to luge around and bring to and fro.

4)If let's say my baby can't really latch initially and i give her ebm in bottle, should i worry which kind/ brand of bottle teat to use to prevent nipple confusion? and is my question actually valid??
I was very worried that my baby will reject my nipple so I refused any bottles for the 1st month to avoid confusion but I started him on Medela's breastfeeding nipple and he didn't have problems at all and no rejection. The main reason babies reject nipple after weaning to bottle is because it's less work for the baby to suck, it's immediate gratification, so using the Medela Calma nipple makes them work for the milk so they will not become lazy, so to speak.

Nathaniel Mummy

Thanks fro your reply amberkl!

I won't be delivering in NUH. But I guess other hospitals also do have lactation consultant? Im just wondering is there additional charge if we request for LC? or is it a value added svc from the hospital??

HI, 1) i use Ameda, its quite good. Try to get he electric double pump, it saves time and i read somewhere that double pumping is more efficient; 2) sorry cant answer this; 3) i didnt bring the pump to hospital. Just try to relax and enjoy bf-ing your child, if u feel pain, do not hesitate to ask for help from the lactation consultant. the NUH consultant is very - Sister Wong.

amberkl

when i was still in the ward, its free but when i went back for checkup and has engorgement, there is a consultation fee

maogou

I need a few advice from experienced breastfeeding mummies here. Currently I'm in my 2nd trimester for my 2nd baby. First baby bf for 2 months and gave up(which i still have that guilty feeling in me till now :( ) Anyways, now im determined to bf my 2nd baby and am really overwhelmed by all the info out there

1) Most recommended electric breast pump seems to be Medela. Is there any other good alternatives which is not as expensive as Madela? Would like to hear other brand users which are satisfied with their electric breast pump that are not too ex. (I borrowed Medela PISA and bought an Avent Manual Pump. I prefer the manual pump and I found PISA noisy and I had trouble expressing milk with PISA despite changing to different "cup" sizes. I would keep the manual pump by bedside as I would usually wake up few hours later to pump milk. After that just keep the pump in the fridge and store the milk in freezer.... it is very fuss free to set up and I managed to get some well-deserved rest.... which is important for milk supply too... I'm glad that the PISA was borrowed. )

3) Lastly, do you bring your breast pump to the hospital for use after deliver? is it even advisable to pump after delivery? (I did brought the manual pump along in case of engorgement but didn't use it. I tried to latch on most of the time and glad I did. I only had colostrum then and my supply came about 4 days later. Try to rest as much as I can during my stay in the hospital while baby is taken care of by the experienced nurses. But I think its good to bring along one.....)

These are the questions(for now) that have been bugging me. Sorry for being lengthy but I sincerely hope for replies from experienced bf mummies out there. Thank you! (please do not feel bad about not breastfeeding your first baby. BF or F, as long as baby is thriving and healthy, you don't have to feel bad at all.....you have to be in the best of health in order to provide for your babies....)

msck

Hey, I bought the 2nd handone - just the bag n pump atc $250. Then I buy bottles, tube, funnels and plastic valves at amazon, add up less than $100. =)

So I have 2 sets of funnels, many bottles n spare valves to change. =)

Nathaniel Mummy

Appreciate your reply maogou :)
And especially appreciate your assurance on not bf my first baby :), thank u!

I need a few advice from experienced breastfeeding mummies here. Currently I'm in my 2nd trimester for my 2nd baby. First baby bf for 2 months and gave up(which i still have that guilty feeling in me till now :( ) Anyways, now im determined to bf my 2nd baby and am really overwhelmed by all the info out there

1) Most recommended electric breast pump seems to be Medela. Is there any other good alternatives which is not as expensive as Madela? Would like to hear other brand users which are satisfied with their electric breast pump that are not too ex. (I borrowed Medela PISA and bought an Avent Manual Pump. I prefer the manual pump and I found PISA noisy and I had trouble expressing milk with PISA despite changing to different "cup" sizes. I would keep the manual pump by bedside as I would usually wake up few hours later to pump milk. After that just keep the pump in the fridge and store the milk in freezer.... it is very fuss free to set up and I managed to get some well-deserved rest.... which is important for milk supply too... I'm glad that the PISA was borrowed. )

3) Lastly, do you bring your breast pump to the hospital for use after deliver? is it even advisable to pump after delivery? (I did brought the manual pump along in case of engorgement but didn't use it. I tried to latch on most of the time and glad I did. I only had colostrum then and my supply came about 4 days later. Try to rest as much as I can during my stay in the hospital while baby is taken care of by the experienced nurses. But I think its good to bring along one.....)

These are the questions(for now) that have been bugging me. Sorry for being lengthy but I sincerely hope for replies from experienced bf mummies out there. Thank you! (please do not feel bad about not breastfeeding your first baby. BF or F, as long as baby is thriving and healthy, you don't have to feel bad at all.....you have to be in the best of health in order to provide for your babies....)

honeystory

Hi Nathaniel Mummy,

i am very satisfied with Philips Avent double pumps & its manual pump.. it is definitely less expensive than Medela but still provides good suction power & serves its purpose well. one thing i like most is the milk wont get trapped in the tubings, which i find it more hygienic & less hassle.

more on reasons why i prefer Philips Avent pumps here.

i am a working mum as well, and my company doesnt provide a fridge. i use a coleman cooler bag which can keep it cold for more than 12 hrs. you are lucky to have fridge in your office. like what other mummies suggest, u can put the milk into a cooler bag before putting into the fridge. else, you can use coleman cooler bag like me, but it's pretty heavy to carry around daily.

sounds like good idea to bring along your pump, manual pump maybe? my baby missed the first feed as she was admitted to NICU for a while right after birth.

wish you all the best on breastfeeding your baby! with determination & planning, i am sure u can do it! :)