Expressed milk

Lana17

Hi mommies,

since i'm going back to work soon n would like to continue to give my bb ebm (bb is currently fully latch on)... was wondering if i can mix breast milk tht was pumped at two different time.. like freshly express milk to already refrigerated milk?

Thx a lot! :)

najwee

I will only mix those expressed on the same day. If I have to mix different days' worth, make sure it waa expressed at most 2-3 days apart. So far my 3 month old baby is growing well. =)

mixed milk of the same temperature only. either u put ur fresh bm in fridge to cool before mixing or u give fresh bm to yr bb first and then warm up the other refrigerator milk and feed

Lana17

ok thx :)

and also if bb cant finished the whole bottle, can i still put the unfinished milk back in the fridge n mix with the others fir next feed? or do i hv to throw them away?

najwee

I don't think you should as repeated cooling and warming of the milk might destroy milk properties. What you can try is to keep the milk warm by steeping the bottle (with the milk) in hot water and feed your baby within the next hour (to prevent milk from spoiling).

I only mix ebm which are from 2-3 consecutive pumps. yes, you shd not mix ebm of different temperature. like what ilovebbdylan said, chill the fresh ebm and then once chilled, mix with the already chilled ebm.

You are not supposed to re use any warmed up ebm after 1 hour. this is because it will be contaminated with bacteria as baby feeds on it. so, once warmed up, try to finish the milk within 1 hour. if baby cannot finish, put it in a bottle warmer n try to feed again. after 1 hour, if cant finish, have to throw away.

ebm stored at the refrigerator have to be consumed within 4 days (usu i only keep for 3 days. if cannot fisnih, i will freeze it)

lyra

Ur baby latches on fully now? U have to start getting baby to take a bottle otherwise she will refuse bottle n refuse to drink milk when u go to work.

Lana17

yes, bb is fully latch now n will give him bottle as soon as i've expressed enough milk..

n OMG!! it's not easy to express my milk out :( n realise tht i cant express alot.. e.g. latch bb at 2pm n tried to express milk on the other breast tht bb was not latched on n only can express 40ml! i'm using a manual pump so not sure if it's good or shd i invest on an electric one, more efficient? express again 3hrs later on the breast tht bb latched on previously.. worst less than 40ml :( :( n this makes me wonder if my bb is taking in enough milk when latch on ....

is this the normal amt knowing tht it's my 1st time expressing milk out? will the output increase in time ?
i find it's difficult to expressn latch bb at the same time.. maybe hv to give fm in the mean time in order to hv more ebm??
dunno if i can manage to express enough before going back to work :/

I read that the pump is not as effective as baby suckling. so if you pump out 40ml, it means your breast has more than 40ml of milk inside which is not pumped out.

I used Medela PISA (dual electric pump). is really effective and I find is good for pumping. Just a small tip about pumping. if the pump is good, you should be able to go through 2 let downs within 15 min. So usu pple pump for max 15 min and that is the most efficient duration. If you notice properly, when you start pumping, you will have your first let down within 2 min where milk starts to flow fast. then the flow will slow down or stop. Then, about 10 - 13 min later, another let down will come. after that flow will slow down or stop. then you can stop pumping. I have heard of pple pumping for half an hour or 45 min. There is no need to cos it is not efficient to pump tat long.

I used medela manual pump before. it is not as effective as the electric but then I do experience 2 let downs within 15 min as well.

What I did that time for my first child whom I did exclusive pumping for, I calculate the yield per hour. meaning like after 3 hours, if i pump out 90ml, means 1 hour about 30ml. actually, really depend on how much you want to pump and how much baby drinks. I rem I was pumping about 1 - 1.3 litres per day when I went back to work at 4 mths and baby was drinking about 1 litres per day. I could calculate the amt of milk cos I exclusive pump but if you latch is quite diff. I suppose if today, you can pump out whatever baby need for tomorrow for bott feeding, should be good enough liao.

Lana17

wow 1l per day :) hopefully i can also produce this much..
i will try again using the manual pump from Avent, if really cant, think will invest in an electric pump...

the thing is, i cant really do the pumping today for tomorrow as bb still latch on, and sometime he will latch on both breast which makes it even harder to pump, if i latch him the whole day, i dun think i cant possibly express the amt for tmr, unless i stop latchimg him during the day, n start giving him bottle.. like express n straight away feed him or give him a bottle of fm, express milk n store this express milk n give him the next round n then i can contiune to express n store... sian, hv to find a wy to work around this... n also not sure if it's good idea to stop latching like straight away, think it's better to wean off slowly...

thx rachellleling for the info :)

andieluv2

Dun give.formula.lahz. Thats the purpose of why u wannna continue to guve ur bb ebm rite?! i am oso fully.expressing. I do agree it.is tiring but ur supply will definitely increase. I used to juz get 50mls at 1 months combined. Now going 4months, i am pumping abt 100-170mls. Bb.only drinks 120 mls so i get to store up some...

U can be like ny fren. She oso latch bb. Wat she did was she pump 6hrly but she still latch bb full time. U can try.