Expressing issues

dovey55sg

Hi mummies,

Would like to check regarding some expressing / bf issues.

My girl is exactly 2 weeks old today. I've been doing bf since day 1. She usually nurse for about 20 mins on 1 side, and additional 10 mins on another side at times at 2-3 hrs interval.

Sometimes, in the middle of the night, she can't seemed to be able to sleep, wanting to be latched on even after nursing for 30 mins on both side. I'll then give her fm and only then she'll sleep soundly, waking up 2-3 hours for her next feed.

I've tried to express my milk so that I can give her ebm instead of fm, but no matter how I tried, I only managed to get less than 10ml on both side. Why is this so? She's been feeding well so I believed I do have enough milk for her so how come I can't seemed to be able to express them out?

I'm using medela mini electric.

biscuit

Hi mummies,

Would like to check regarding some expressing / bf issues.

My girl is exactly 2 weeks old today. I've been doing bf since day 1. She usually nurse for about 20 mins on 1 side, and additional 10 mins on another side at times at 2-3 hours interval.

Sometimes, in the middle of the night, she can't seemed to be able to sleep, wanting to be latched on even after nursing for 30 mins on both side. I'll then give her fm and only then she'll sleep soundly, waking up 2-3 hours for her next feed.

if possible don give bb fm during this time cos first 6 weeks ur body still regulating how much ur bb needs. Try to feed on demand, latch her on whenever she wants, this can boost your supply. If u feed 40ml fm, u r tellin ur body ur bb need 40ml lesser of bm, so it will affect supply.

I've tried to express my milk so that I can give her ebm instead of fm, but no matter how I tried, I only managed to get less than 10ml on both side. Why is this so? She's been feeding well so I believed I do have enough milk for her so how come I can't seemed to be able to express them out?

U are full time nursing now, sonwhat u pump out are extra milk that ur bb does not need.
If the quantity really bother u, u can refer below link for advise.
kellymom.com :: I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?

I'm using medela mini electric.
if u still have months of materniy leave to stay at home,
if u are not pumping for freezer stash,
my personal experience is, u can keep your pump. Just nurse on demand. Whenever bb wants and as long as bb nurse.
-early introduction of bottle to bb will have posibiliy cause nipple confusion then bb can't latch well,
they may eventually prefer the fast flow from bottle n refuse to latch on u.
-Bottle cause more wind n prons to colic than direct latch.
-Early weeks newborn need comfort from mama, bottle cannot provide this.
-hard to ensure bottle are germs free even u sterilized.
-too much pumping in early month will lead to oversupply and all sorts of problem with oversupply such as block ducts and forceful letdown will come.

It is normal to nurse very frequent for young bb. I eve try nurse bb hourly. It is tiring, but it is far more better than I keep having block ducts problem. I can spend my time to provide comfor to bb than busy washing n sterilize pump parts all day.

Hope above 2 cents tots can help. :) jiayou!!

snowbear

It's normal for bb to nurse frequently, esp within the first month. Baby's latch is the best pump and can get more milk than what you can express using the breastpump. Don't worry. As long as your bb is contented and growing well, ignore the amt you actually manage to express. :)

dovey55sg

Ok, will try to latch her on whenever she wants, even though it's really really tiring, especially when I try to put her down and she wakes up crying to be latched on again.

Have kept my pump into the store room as per biscuit's advise! Haha.

Thanks mummies!!

biscuit

Ok, will try to latch her on whenever she wants, even though it's really really tiring, especially when I try to put her down and she wakes up crying to be latched on again.

Have kept my pump into the store room as per biscuit's advise! Haha.

Thanks mummies!!
hi dovey,
if it's really tiring, u can use side lying position, then u can rest when bb nurse. I nurse with this pattern for all session. It is less tiring Especially if u have episotomy cut, always sit up not so good for u. Can get ur hubby or other person to burp bb after feeding if u too tired.

Make sure u catch as much rest as possible. Very soon u will find direct feed is so so easy than bottle feed.

My pump was kept for 2 months n just took out last 2 weeks as I begin to store freezer stash for return to work on 1st dec.

Enjoy your breastfeeding journey and mothehood :)

cherishbebe

wrong pump?

i used mini e before, my yield was 30ml after an hr pump, after which I used PISA, my yield was 100ml after 30min.

if you are a sahm, just continue to latch whenever your baby want. If you are returning to work, and wish to bf longer period, maybe you should consider getting a heavy duty pump like PISA or freestyle.

Go down to TMC or breastfeeding organisation to try out the pumps.

biscuit

Hi dovey55sg

how u doing? Still direct latching? Hope u doing fine with ur bf journey!
I feel I have to share with u this.
Although I said earlier introduction of bottle to
baby is not so advisable, but please start intro
bottle to ur bb sometimes when she is 6-8weeks.
Atleast give one ebm by bottle to baby once a day.

As I have misses this window period to intro bottle, I now face this problem where dear son rejects bottle totally.
He was ok with it one week back and now simply rejects.
I do not believe he would not take bottle as he was ok with thAt during early week.

Hope u will not have his problem.

lernet

Hi, I have been breastfeeding my son for quite a while and he's turning two come January 2011. With regards to expressing milk, I find that it's easier to express milk when my son is feeding because of the let-down effect.

For a while, I resisted sleeping with my son because my husband was worried that one of us will roll on top of him while sleeping. I tried to put him back into the cot after nursing him but this is very tiring, at the end of two months, I couldn't take it, I started to fall asleep while he's still feeding in my arms. I finally gave in to the temptation and started sleeping with him so that I could feed him easily. So if you husband is agreeable, perhaps you might want to try sleeping with her. That said, sleeping with your baby might affect your relationship with your husband.

As for the sleep, like everyone advised, babies on breast milk tend to become hungry soon. I remember that my son used to wake up every two hours at night and on bad nights, he could wake up every half hour or one hour. It was quite a nightmare. As much as I didn't have enough sleep for a long time, I still think that feeding him breast milk is one of the best thing I have done for him. He is very healthy and only had two episodes of cold and cough from birth till now. So don't give up feeding her breast milk because of sleep deprivation. As your baby girl grows up, she will start to sleep longer.

dovey55sg

Thanks all for your advice.

My supply have been dipping, and I've only recently found out that it was due to me having parsley those past few days.
I've tried latching her on every time she cries.
I latched her on for 30 mins each, both breasts, but after 15-30 mins, she'll start crying again, and her mouth will be opened and rooting.
These happened for few days in a row, and it really breaks my heart.

Been giving her fm as supplement and only then will she calm down and sleep.

Therefore, I've decided to quit bf.
I feel so guilty every time I see her sucking on the bottle, and will remember how she looks like when she's latched onto me during nursing.
I know bm is best for her, but as a mother, I can't bear to see her this way.

I'm glad my hubby supports me in this decision.
And seeing her satisfied look after her feed makes me feel that somehow, I made the right decision.

Thanks everyone who has in one way or another contributed to this thread!
Appreciated!

biscuit

I experienced what u have gone thru and we did gave fm as can't see him cry n suspected bb had not enuf due to my supply problem. We hav gone thru that stage without realizing.
Atho u chose to stop bf now, ur bb had benefited from the best food during her early days! Bf really never easy, U have done your best :) enjoy motherhood !!^^

biscuit

Ya still refuses bottle. I am so worry. Gotto start work in a week time and travel without baby in mid dec. Pray hard...

P4nic

Hi my bb is almost two weeks old.. I m also expressing milk out for my gal and it is really not easy.
Oneside of my breast can pump 40ml but the other side seems clog and only able to pump mere 20ml or less.
I have massage and no lumps noted but can't seems toincrease the supply. It is really tiring. I have been giving fm to my gal as supplement.
It breaks my heart to see her crying.. I really feel like giving up bm but feel guilty for not giving her the best.. Sigh

dovey55sg

I can understand how you feel. At least you can still pump out 60ml. I can't even get 10ml from both sides.

From what they say, pumping is not an accurate gauge of what baby can get from direct latching.
If pumping can get you 60ml, direct latching should be so much more, so should be enough for your girl right....

P4nic

My gal always bite when I latch her and often I end up with sore nipples or bleeding nipples. I tried latch her the correct way but still she can't suck but bite.. I can only pump out.. According to the massage lady if I can pump 200ml per day is consider normal. I only pump in the day about 4 times. Everytime I see her having not enough milk I feel so heart pain .. Wanna give up but yet I feel guilty to deprive her of bm.. I rem when she just born n I latch her on I feel
So bonded with her too

PTB7476

My gal always bite when I latch her and often I end up with sore nipples or bleeding nipples. I tried latch her the correct way but still she can't suck but bite.. I can only pump out.. According to the massage lady if I can pump 200ml per day is consider normal. I only pump in the day about 4 times. Everytime I see her having not enough milk I feel so heart pain .. Wanna give up but yet I feel guilty to deprive her of bm.. I rem when she just born n I latch her on I feel
So bonded with her too
your gal bite you is because she did not latch properly if latch properly you shouldnt have such problem. maybe you want to call the hospital hotline and asked for assistance on latching the BB
huh? your massage lady if per day has 200ml is normal? suggest you drink more liquid to increase it also like that i have been saying to others if not enuff BM sub with FM ... dun be stubborn and insist on maintain the BF and bond etc... bb need nutritions...

dovey55sg

Since you only pumped 4 times a day, the "supply n demand" is not there ba i guess.

Anyway, you're already feeding breastmilk with formula as supplement.
Better than nothing.
Don't be so hard on yourself.
Giving 3-4 breastmilk a day is better than not giving at all.

I can't give much advice as I myself have given up breastfeeding, with much regrets.
Not enough milk, not enough sleep, can't even pump out any milk.

Since you can still pump out 240ml a day, I feel you should carry on.

Jiayou!