Feeding breastmilk in bottle

Alisa

my baby is having colic so my PIL wanted me to bottle feed him instead of direct feed from my breast as they feel will have more gas if direct feed.

im having a problem... my baby doesnt seems to be able to bottle feed... the way he suckle on bottle makes milk flow fasterand he don seems to swallow fast enough... and sometime he only drink 50ml, sometimes 100ml! next mon he is coming 3rd week le...

anybody's baby also suffering from colic? any remedy? we try ru yi oil, grip water le...
:eek:10:

lyra

The reverse is true! Direct latching on will have less air if the latch is correct. That is y some ppl believe there is no need to burb a breadtfed bb as no air will enter when he latch directly.

If u use bottle, u will introduce more air when he suck! U will need to burb him until u hear burb sound after every feed.

I think it's better u continue to direct latch... Let him learn how to latch properly b4 intro bottle. I'm into bottle nxt week coz then it'll b easier for MIL or hubby to help feed him when I go out or rest.

blackpiggy

ya true for the reverse. how come your in laws will think that way? there's no air in your breasts but there's in the bottle. from the way you describe his bottle feed maybe the milk flow is too fast for him. get a smaller hole teat or you take out the bottle if you see he can't swallow fast enough. its best if you intro bottle only after he turns a month, coz if he gets use to the fast flow of the bottle and he hasnt learn to latch on well, he may give up latching on altogether.
also, your bb seems quite young for colic, usually they'll get colicky around 2, 3months. how you determine he is having colic? better don't anyhow feed him medication first before confirming. his stomach is still small, if you feed him too much of other stuff, he may not want milk.

Alisa

The reverse is true! Direct latching on will have less air if the latch is correct. That is y some ppl believe there is no need to burb a breadtfed bb as no air will enter when he latch directly.

If u use bottle, u will introduce more air when he suck! U will need to burb him until u hear burb sound after every feed.

I think it's better u continue to direct latch... Let him learn how to latch properly b4 intro bottle. I'm into bottle nxt week coz then it'll b easier for MIL or hubby to help feed him when I go out or rest.
im think, he got air when he latch on is it bcuz sometime right after i express, he wanted to eat again cuz sometimes he only eat 15mins 1 side and sleep le.

i tried to change side every 5 mins (cuz i feel 15mins is too long) but sometimes he also sleep around 20 mins or so and wanted to eat again every 1hr later..

when do u express yr breastmilk out?

Alisa

ya true for the reverse. how come your in laws will think that way? there's no air in your breasts but there's in the bottle. from the way you describe his bottle feed maybe the milk flow is too fast for him. get a smaller hole teat or you take out the bottle if you see he can't swallow fast enough. its best if you intro bottle only after he turns a month, coz if he gets use to the fast flow of the bottle and he hasnt learn to latch on well, he may give up latching on altogether.
also, your bb seems quite young for colic, usually they'll get colicky around 2, 3months. how you determine he is having colic? better don't anyhow feed him medication first before confirming. his stomach is still small, if you feed him too much of other stuff, he may not want milk.
my PIL last time is on formula, MIL kept wanting me to feed formula cuz she feel that baby is always hungry la, very troublesome to wake up every few hrs in the night (she is doing confinement for me and she is currently sleeping with me) i did told her breastmilk baby get hungry faster wan but u know la, old ppl got their thinking and somemore she don really breastfeed my hubby wan. then my FIL say if mother no milk, baby will be sucking air...

why we know he got colic is bcuz he always cry during the evening then always farting wan. then when he cannot fart, he will become like incredible hulk, force till whole face turn red...

Amulet

try Ridwind colic drops, it's recommended to me by my girl's PD..

giving probiotics can help reduce the colic pain..

wen baby is having colic, try carrying him in upright position.. it will help him feels better..

lyra

The things that ur in law's say r not true so do not be influenced by them. Be strong n firm if u want to continue breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is the best for babies. They keep insisting on formula, they will deprive their grandson of valuable nutritious breast milk that no formula in the world can replace! If u keep supplementing with formula, soon, u will have no milk bcoz breast milk is demand = supply. Latch him on more n u get more milk for him.

Try to pump ur breast until it's soft then feed him, it's easier for him so he will suck better n not suck in air. I pump out quite a lot after feed to send signal to my brain to produce more milk for next feed, n a bit b4 feed to soften breast. Dun worry, u will always have milk, it will not b a waste. U can also store the expressed milk. Make sure when he suck, there's no sucking or clicking sound. Baby mayb not be colicky... He's so young. Maybe he's undergoing fussy evening like my son? Or he has wind in stomach n need some ru yi oil.

Ur father in law say no milk so he suck in air is not true. There's no air in breast mah, how to suck in air? Haha. Ur mother in law say give formula so he last longer without feeding but formula is difficult to digest, that's why last longer. Compared to breast milk, is that gd for baby? For the sack of ur baby, press on, n get ur hubby to help u educate them.

I wake up at night to feed baby myself even during confinement. Even though tough, I also will do it. Nobody can tell me sleep more n feed baby infant formula so that he sleep through the night coz I'm the one who wake up to feed him n I am willing to do it for my baby's sake.

Alisa

try Ridwind colic drops, it's recommended to me by my girl's PD..

giving probiotics can help reduce the colic pain..

wen baby is having colic, try carrying him in upright position.. it will help him feels better..
Ridwind is save for G6PD deficiency? ya i carry him in upright position and he stop crying and sleep but once we put him down on his bed, he starts to cry again. Unless he can let out the gas lor...

probiotics are in fomula wan? or can buy seperately?

blackpiggy

i see, always burp your baby after milk and like wat Amulet says carry him upright on your shoulders. if you want can try dentinox colic drops, thats what my pd prescribe (but i still think 2 weeks a bit young to eat colic drops), or ru yi oil.
baby won't suck air when he latches on, and there won't be no milk, if no milk from your breast, your baby will cry(coz nothing to drink and he's hungry). you can try change side every 20mins, he's still young now so 5mins is a bit too fast for him, he still hasn't learn how to breastfeed well.
can explain to your in laws breastfeeding is a demand and supply thing, eat more produce more, so no worries, and also breastmilk is easier to digest which means the baby can absorb more nutrients before he passes it out.
can ask your mom in law to rest well, no need to wake up at night since you are the one feeding, then she also won't force you to feed formula. +U and persevere, sometimes old people talk old wives tales you just have to 1 ear in 1 ear out as long as you know what you are doing.

Alisa

The things that ur in law's say r not true so do not be influenced by them. Be strong n firm if u want to continue breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is the best for babies. They keep insisting on formula, they will deprive their grandson of valuable nutritious breast milk that no formula in the world can replace! If u keep supplementing with formula, soon, u will have no milk bcoz breast milk is demand = supply. Latch him on more n u get more milk for him.

Try to pump ur breast until it's soft then feed him, it's easier for him so he will suck better n not suck in air. I pump out quite a lot after feed to send signal to my brain to produce more milk for next feed, n a bit b4 feed to soften breast. Dun worry, u will always have milk, it will not b a waste. U can also store the expressed milk. Make sure when he suck, there's no sucking or clicking sound. Baby mayb not be colicky... He's so young. Maybe he's undergoing fussy evening like my son? Or he has wind in stomach n need some ru yi oil.

Ur father in law say no milk so he suck in air is not true. There's no air in breast mah, how to suck in air? Haha. Ur mother in law say give formula so he last longer without feeding but formula is difficult to digest, that's why last longer. Compared to breast milk, is that gd for baby? For the sack of ur baby, press on, n get ur hubby to help u educate them.

I wake up at night to feed baby myself even during confinement. Even though tough, I also will do it. Nobody can tell me sleep more n feed baby infant formula so that he sleep through the night coz I'm the one who wake up to feed him n I am willing to do it for my baby's sake.
when i was direct feeding him 1 day ago, i let him suckle till he sleep then i express out till my breast is soft but then sometimes after an hour, he wants again so i will have milk?

i told my hubby i decided to continue direct feed him le, he will talk to his parents when he is back from work. i already took out 1 of my frozen milk and left it in the fridge so tonight his mom can use that to feed but after that pack finish, i will direct feed my baby.

when my FIL told my hubby that baby will be sucking air from my breast, we still believe. hahah... thats why we try to bottle feed him lor.
We tried ru yi oil le and will still continue la but like not effective le...

My MIL kept saying my 脸色 not good as i cannot take DOM and not enough sleep but i rather i lack of sleep, 脸色 not good than now my baby is having a difficult time drinking milk lor.

Alisa

i see, always burp your baby after milk and like wat Amulet says carry him upright on your shoulders. if you want can try dentinox colic drops, thats what my pd prescribe (but i still think 2 weeks a bit young to eat colic drops), or ru yi oil.
baby won't suck air when he latches on, and there won't be no milk, if no milk from your breast, your baby will cry(coz nothing to drink and he's hungry). you can try change side every 20mins, he's still young now so 5mins is a bit too fast for him, he still hasn't learn how to breastfeed well.
can explain to your in laws breastfeeding is a demand and supply thing, eat more produce more, so no worries, and also breastmilk is easier to digest which means the baby can absorb more nutrients before he passes it out.
can ask your mom in law to rest well, no need to wake up at night since you are the one feeding, then she also won't force you to feed formula. +U and persevere, sometimes old people talk old wives tales you just have to 1 ear in 1 ear out as long as you know what you are doing.
he very diffcult to burp, or maybe i don have patient to burp him too long. hahah... will try burping him longer now.
i will try again direct feed and see if he is still having too much gas in his stomach. i ever try let him suckle 30 mins on 1 side if he can but sometime he fall a sleep after 15 mins or less. no matter how i tug my breast, rub his hair or move him, he still continue to sleep... which is why i try 5 mins lor...

my MIL will help me change baby pamper during the night after i breastfeed him lor... she purposely took a mth leave to help me do confinement... if i ask her to sleep thoughtout not sure what she will say...

blackpiggy

he very diffcult to burp, or maybe i don have patient to burp him too long. hahah... will try burping him longer now.
i will try again direct feed and see if he is still having too much gas in his stomach. i ever try let him suckle 30 mins on 1 side if he can but sometime he fall a sleep after 15 mins or less. no matter how i tug my breast, rub his hair or move him, he still continue to sleep... which is why i try 5 mins lor...

my MIL will help me change baby pamper during the night after i breastfeed him lor... she purposely took a mth leave to help me do confinement... if i ask her to sleep thoughtout not sure what she will say...
30mins is also fine. you can try sitting him up to burp or pat his back if he falls asleep. if he doesn't wake up after that, just feed him again when he's up. so now you can try 30mins or till he sleeps :D, when he has his next feed just continue with the side that hasn't fed for 30mins. as he grow bigger, he is more efficient, you can then reduce the time on each side.
my boy use to feed for 20mins on 1 side, and just after 1 hour from the last feed he's hungry already, that means i only got 20mins or so to rest in btwn feeds! if you scare you won't have milk after expressing, you can try express just for 5 mins to stimulate the breast, no need to express till soft.
I can't drink DOM during my confinement as well, as I'm allergic to alcohol, my 脸色also not nice due to lack of sleep keke... but as long you feel good about your baby :)
It's nice of your mom in law to help diapering bb at night, then you can tell her, she in charge of diapering, you in charge of feeding lor. when my bb was smaller i'm in charge of everything! coz my FILIAL husband ask his mother not to wake up =.=" and he says he needs to work in the morning(only wakes up sometimes), so I have to diaper and feed bb all by myself at night!

Amulet

Ridwind is save for G6PD deficiency? ya i carry him in upright position and he stop crying and sleep but once we put him down on his bed, he starts to cry again. Unless he can let out the gas lor...

probiotics are in fomula wan? or can buy seperately?
i'm not sure if Ridwind is save for G6PD babies.. maybe u wan to approach his PD to ask?

probiotics comes in supplement form, not only in formula.. but it's also safer for u to check with PD as well since ur baby has G6PD deficiency..

blackpiggy

breastfed baby seldom colicky one. my boy doesn't have colic, just windy if not burp properly. i'm sure your baby is going through his 'evening fussiness' coz if its colic the baby won't be comforted in anyway and will seems to be like in pain.
he's still new to his bodily functions, maybe he is frustrated that he cannot fart as he wanted to???
this period will pass :)

Amulet

My MIL kept saying my 脸色 not good as i cannot take DOM and not enough sleep but i rather i lack of sleep, 脸色 not good than now my baby is having a difficult time drinking milk lor.
i didn't drink any DOM either and lack of sleep too.. but i think my 脸色 seems the same and baby have no problem latching..

try to take naps ard the hours following baby's schedule.. also take more fish soup, pork trotter soup, green leafy vege for better nourishment for ur body.. in this way, u will have better milk supply too..

stress and fatique can led to lack of milk..

Alisa

Hi! Yup, 5 min too short. Let baby suckle as long as he wants on one breast.
ya...

30mins is also fine. you can try sitting him up to burp or pat his back if he falls asleep. if he doesn't wake up after that, just feed him again when he's up. so now you can try 30mins or till he sleeps :D, when he has his next feed just continue with the side that hasn't fed for 30mins. as he grow bigger, he is more efficient, you can then reduce the time on each side.
my boy use to feed for 20mins on 1 side, and just after 1 hour from the last feed he's hungry already, that means i only got 20mins or so to rest in btwn feeds! if you scare you won't have milk after expressing, you can try express just for 5 mins to stimulate the breast, no need to express till soft.
I can't drink DOM during my confinement as well, as I'm allergic to alcohol, my 脸色also not nice due to lack of sleep keke... but as long you feel good about your baby :)
It's nice of your mom in law to help diapering baby at night, then you can tell her, she in charge of diapering, you in charge of feeding . when my baby was smaller i'm in charge of everything! coz my FILIAL husband ask his mother not to wake up =.=" and he says he needs to work in the morning(only wakes up sometimes), so I have to diaper and feed baby all by myself at night!
i will now continue on 30 mins each side or till he sleep like what u said. Burping doesnt wake him up, he will continue to sleep on wan. hahaha... 5 mins express also can, i will try this.

u so poor thing... im lucky my MIL willing to help in during the night.

ast0212

Babies cry. That's what they do best :)

Unfortunately when we have a baby we need to go through weeks or months of sleep deprivation, it's just part and parcel of having a baby. Yes it's tiring and exhausting especially when you are breastfeeding and hubby can't breastfeed because he has no boobs let alone milk...but as tired as you are, looking at your baby suckling away or sleeping peacefully you forget how little sleep you had and you can smile and know that you're doing the best for your baby and it is all worth it.

Try not to listen to what older generations may say when it comes to breastfeeding because a lot of it are myths. Best to do your own reading and research so you have some sort of backing that what you're doing is correct :)

You can do it :)

Alisa

Babies cry. That's what they do best :)

Unfortunately when we have a baby we need to go through weeks or months of sleep deprivation, it's just part and parcel of having a baby. Yes it's tiring and exhausting especially when you are breastfeeding and hubby can't breastfeed because he has no boobs let alone milk...but as tired as you are, looking at your baby suckling away or sleeping peacefully you forget how little sleep you had and you can smile and know that you're doing the best for your baby and it is all worth it.

Try not to listen to what older generations may say when it comes to breastfeeding because a lot of it are myths. Best to do your own reading and research so you have some sort of backing that what you're doing is correct :)

You can do it :)
Thanks! Thats what i do too, when looking at him suckle, he is just so adorable! and i realised when i was breastfeeding him, i have the time to stroke him and pat him but when bottle feeding him, i do not as bottle feed really finish very fast! the most is burping him then put him to sleep le but direct feed, i can slowly cuddle him~

Alisa

i'm not sure if Ridwind is save for G6PD babies.. maybe you want to approach his pediatrician to ask?

probiotics comes in supplement form, not only in formula.. but it's also safer for you to check with pediatrician as well since your baby has G6PD deficiency..
Thanks Amulet, i will check on this.

breastfed baby seldom colicky one. my boy doesn't have colic, just windy if not burp properly. i'm sure your baby is going through his 'evening fussiness' coz if its colic the baby won't be comforted in anyway and will seems to be like in pain.
he's still new to his bodily functions, maybe he is frustrated that he cannot fart as he wanted to???
this period will pass :)
could be le... my hubby and me kept thinking its colic cuz his behavious is just like what website discribe about colic lor... we will monitor him again wan.

i didn't drink any DOM either and lack of sleep too.. but i think my 脸色 seems the same and baby have no problem latching..

try to take naps around the hours following baby's schedule.. also take more fish soup, pork trotter soup, green leafy vege for better nourishment for your body.. in this way, you will have better milk supply too..

stress and fatique can led to lack of milk..
i eat whatever is cooked by my MIL lor, im easy to fed wan. hahah... anyway, she is cooking so i do not wan to command too much too. oh ya she does cook papaya + fish bone soup everyday for me!