Feeding my 14 mths old baby

Ting

how about feeding him milk with cereal instead?
is he ok with taking cereal like cornflakes (honey stars, fruitty pebbles)?
if so, maybe besides his milk feed, you can give him some cereal or bread?
actually, i also think you shld change his nap time, abit too early i suppose.
cos if he wakey at 9 am then sleep again at 11 am....

Hi Ting, Treston wake up 7.30am, he slept late at 11pm and tends to feel tired around 11am...Hmmm, i heard honey stars cereal are not healthy food, its sweet...I have not expose him to all this snacks except baby biscuit and dried fruits...His snack is usally bread, yogurt, biscuits or dried fruits etc...

my case is like phoebii, pin also in CC since 18mths.
so her schedule is quite routine.
745am-200ml milk
830am- brekkie in sch (optional for her)
1130am- lunch
1230pm- milk before nap (200ml)
Looks like Pin is a good drinker, lunch at 11.30am and she still can take 200ml of milk.
1230-230pm(or 3pm)- nap time.
330-4pm- teabreak (light snacks) (now she take fresh milk 3 times a week for tea break)
5pm- dinner (in sch)
7-8pm-dinner with family (she usually just eat abit here n there, not finish one meal)
one 200ml milk before bed time.

I believe Pin is 3 yrs now right? Wow, you still can clearly remember her shcedule...
yeah honey stars is sweet, so probably u might wanna keep tt away, her sch serves it, n im ok with giving her since its not daily. i think the brand graduates hv those banana puffs, quite yummy, maybe u can consider. :) or the organic teddy puffs. :)

yeah pin is a milk monster, even til now she is drinking at least 600-800 ml per day.

haha, i can rmb cos from 18mths til now her schedule in sch is the same, except she drop her milk feed in sch during nap time. :)

annie

yah 2.5hrs is really long.. but its not stressful for her i guess since she is watching her fav cartoons lol. well at first i feed her 30mins only i angry also cos not used to it. now ok liao.. recently she is better.. taking only 30-45mins per meal.. anyway inside 1hr..

but honestly speaking, ive read everything bout no force feeding, when meal times stretched over 30mins means they are not hungry, when they dun open mouth, push your hands away, turn their head away from u means they are full etc etc.. no watching tv or playing with toys during mealtimes.. if your child really dun eat, will u really follow all these n stop feeding him/her n look at them slowly losing weight? i doubt so right? so sometimes its not about what is right or what we should do and not to do.. its about how to get food into these little picky eaters! lol

yah screaming is a phase.. my girl used to do it too.. i just tell her 'no screaming'. or ignore her if she scream at hm.. outside i give her the killer look n she will stop with the guilty look lol.

Last edited:

diymummy

yah 2.5hrs is really long.. but its not stressful for her i guess since she is watching her fav cartoons lol. well at first i feed her 30mins only i angry also cos not used to it. now ok .. recently she is better.. taking only 30-45mins per meal.. anyway inside 1hr..

but honestly speaking, ive read everything bout no force feeding, when meal times stretched over 30mins means they are not hungry, when they dont open mouth, push your hands away, turn their head away from you means they are full etc etc.. no watching tv or playing with toys during mealtimes.. if your child really dont eat, will you really follow all these n stop feeding him/her n look at them slowly losing weight? i doubt so right? so sometimes its not about what is right or what we should do and not to do.. its about how to get food into these little picky eaters! lol

yah screaming is a phase.. my girl used to do it too.. i just tell her 'no screaming'. or ignore her if she scream at hm.. outside i give her the killer look n she will stop with the guilty look lol.
Ya.. I agee totally. I've also done reading up and friends also tell me abt not force feeding.. But sometimes really bo biann... Sigh...

Ting

same, though pin is a avid eater, but i still will make her finish her food.
sometimes she snack too much n dun wanna finish her rice, but only the meat n vege, so i tell her, finish the rice or no meat n vege given.

shulyn

The screaming part will pass over, my son also like to scream at one point in time, but we continue to repeat what we want him to do and not to do....sooon, he get the point

Children need repetition and boundaries
Thanks...

I believe its just a phase that all parents will undergo...

Will Jia you and look into the postive side:)

shulyn

but honestly speaking, ive read everything bout no force feeding, when meal times stretched over 30mins means they are not hungry, when they dont open mouth, push your hands away, turn their head away from you means they are full etc etc.. no watching tv or playing with toys during mealtimes.. if your child really dont eat, will you really follow all these n stop feeding him/her n look at them slowly losing weight? i doubt so right? so sometimes its not about what is right or what we should do and not to do.. its about how to get food into these little picky eaters! lol

Yap agree...I tried to follow but all this tactics does not work on mine.

my PD always ask us to stop when dear son refuse but he is only taking that few spoonsful and i doubt we can bear to stop feeding...For mine, its not lately, its always been a feeding battle with dear son, though he can finish but he need alot of distraction in order for him to open his mouth...

Ting

actually imo, i feel tt though the PD is a professional, but taking care of a kid needs to be hands on.
even they hv the knowledge from all the books, they dun face your child 24/7 so u know their condition best.
so if u feel tt he is really eating too little, then just go ahead.
maybe just let him snack thruout the day.
if he likes certain food, offer it more to him.

Phoebii Cheng

I have one friend she told me that her daughter, drinks milk till she is abt 2.5yrs old then started to like solids....before that she simply refuses to eat no matter what tactics she use

And my hubby's colleague, the daughter is 2yrs old, but weigh only 9.5kg.....eating v little too....

So just do your best and don't give up

diymummy

Sigh.. Looks like many kids going thru food battle.

Mine I must hold onto both his hands like handcuffs like that then he will eat. Something like force feeding...

I worry not sure how he's gonna adapt when he goes up to playgroup where the kids start to learn how to eat on their own?

Sad... and worried.

That day went to PD, ds weight is only 7.8kg for a 15 mth. So skinny. He lost all the weight he gained coz he's sick. So depressing.

thepinkdot

My daughter will be 4 this year.. and we're still going thru food battles.

When they're younger, you can still force feed them.. Now that they're older.. They know how to tell you no.. and what they want to eat.

Patience is the key. You don't want them to be turned off from eating. Neither do you want them to eat junk all the time. Try variety of fresh food in very small amounts. AMOUNT is not the key but getting them to get used to the taste and texture of food is more important.

So what if your child has to take up to 5 meals a day? At least he's eating that 5 small meals. Just remember that.. For fussy kids, MILK is a good supplement to their diet. Please do not wean them off way too early just because other kids has stopped or drink lesser.

Ting

yeah now pin will tell me whether she wants to eat this or not.
she chooses (but lucky not picky).
as they grow older, its gets harder..
i agree hv to be very patient.
one of my fren's 5 yo DD also very picky.
though she is taller than pin, but she is very much slimmer.
she weighs the same as pin lorr.

annie

wah diymummy.. your son seems a more difficult case than my girl.. i dun need to force feed her bu holding her both hands.. if i do, all the more she wont eat.. she will scream n cry cos she dun like ppl to hold her hands down lol. for her, i just need to distract her will do. sometimes hold 1 hand cos she will try to push my spoon away... so have to hold tat hand sometimes.. but usually no need to hold her.

Ting, my girl opposite from pin.. she loves rice but not the veg n meat.. she can eat alot of rice but then dun wan to take veg or meat... these 2 days she has been rejecting her veg n meat n taking rice only.. but she ate alot.. adult's portion! but just rice.. hai~

my girl is 10.2kg now at 17mths.. not a bad weight but look skinny..

raeka

My boy spoon feed milk when he was 10month onwards.. tried training mug, straw but all he reject away.. milk bottle even worse..
till now still on spoon feed..
at first need to on TV for him not slowly train him without watching TV, well so far did work .. but need patience.
i used around 15-20 minutes for 200ml.
that's the most he can drink more then that he will vomit out.
FUSSY BOY=TIRING MUM.

chiro

My boy spoon feed milk when he was 10month onwards.. tried training mug, straw but all he reject away.. milk bottle even worse..
till now still on spoon feed..
at first need to on TV for him not slowly train him without watching TV, well so far did work .. but need patience.
i used around 15-20 minutes for 200ml.
that's the most he can drink more then that he will vomit out.
FUSSY BOY=TIRING MUM.
my 13mths son is now mayb 10 kg..his birth weight was 3.74

takes abt 15 min to complete his cereal or porridge..he is now having fake measles, and have recently regained his appetite, how we know?cos he began showin interest in our food again.

Mummies.. Read somewhere tat toddlers at tis stage show less interest in food as they r bz explorin things n have slimmed down cos they r more active

they might play until they forgot to eat too... So dun stress up too much okie..they will come screamin at u when they r very very hungry
think i read this article from baby centre or mamil golds newsletter

Domique

Hi Shulyn,

sorry have not updated this thread... Alaric had been down with viral infection since wed and fri fever off then now with very phelgmy cough and bad flu....

think not joining for GUG... expensive :p
plus busy with moving house...

hang on there u are doing great!

Wow Annie you are really patient... Alaric had been fussy with solid food after one too... i believe it is also partially due to teething issues...

but feeding for 2.5 hours for her to clear bowl... i do not have such patience...

I feed for half an hour, with him spitting out his food several times, i stop feeding.

i read some where, not sure if its true - never feed after he shows signs of rejection or feed too long during mealtimes: will make them detest mealtime and they think they can take their own sweet time to eat and 2.5 hours is normal meal time duration.

> Tats what my pediatrician says, will make them detest mealtime...2.5 hours is really long...its really mentally tiring for the mum and baby...

It is quite taxing on parents that way.

Shulyn, i think treston weight is fine. We cannot compare to his birth weight now as their growth esp after 1 yrs old slow down as there will be lots of activities for them now, unlike before 1 years old where we expect weight growth in a short period of time... but if there is weight loss do take note.

Have you considered changing milk formula? i heard pediasure is sweeter and more carbo. If trest like he may drink more? and in a faster speed?

I discuss this with hubby, what he want is quality and not quantity. We tried to change formula and he also dont drink that much so we just stay put. Though he got this prob, we will ensure he still meet the minimum amount of milk intake and till now we did not give up feeding him. If he doesnt want, we will try and try until 1 hr then we will stop...

Have you considered teaching him to drink from cup? maybe he will find it fun? and drink more?

Treston is drinking water and juice from straw cup, as for milk we use bottle 1st and if really cant then we will spoon feed him...
Keep us updated.

Yeah! Didnt see you on msn lately...wanna join me for class this sat at GUG?

Yap agree...I tried to follow but all this tactics does not work on mine.

my pediatrician always ask us to stop when dear son refuse but he is only taking that few spoonsful and i doubt we can bear to stop feeding...For mine, its not lately, its always been a feeding battle with dear son, though he can finish but he need alot of distraction in order for him to open his mouth...

after reading this thread, i am really happy, i am not alone ... i also must do a lot trick and try to distract my DS so he can open his mouth voluntery. Now, i feel lunch time and dinner time become so torture to me... **sob...sob** :001_302:

anyway, pls share with me, if yr child only eat little bit during dinner (example only taking 3-4 spoons or even 2 spoons of his dinner), how many times he/she wake up on the night to drink milk??

my boy, till now will wake up 2x asking for milk... and he will sleep again.

Phoebii Cheng

My son eats very little for dinner....and normally he would wake up once for milk feed cos' I add cereals into his last feed before he sleeps