feeling down as I stop breastfeeding...

andieluv2

Hi all mummies... I juz need a place for me to voice out my sadness rather than keeping it to myself or telling my hub bcoz I think he will not understand wat I am going thru bcoz he's not a mother. So pls bare with me as I vent my sadness...

My baby was 6.5 months now and I started off having difficulty latching her as I had short nipple. Went thru alot of struggles as ppl keep telling me I got NO milk etc etc and many disappointing comments. even thou I was really affected, I told myself I must persevere to bf my bb. At least till 6 months old.

So initially my bb was on partial feeds and my kind friend donated her ebm to me and with my supply increasing, I was able to let my bb have total bm at 2.5 months till she was 6 months old.

It was a tough journey. The tiredness, waking up in the wee hrs to pump, trying out all means and ways to increase my supply, the constant disappointment that my supply only went up by abit each time, many episode of crack nipple and got infected, the loss of freedom as u're like tied down to the baby and the pump every 3 hrly etc etc... I am sure many mothers know wat I am talking abt.

I took an addtional of 1.5 months of no pay leave so I could stay at hm and pump for my bb bcoz I know once I am bck to work, my supply will drop. And true enough. Whn I am bck at wk whn bb was abt 5 months. My supply drop tremendously. And recently, I had an episode of serious throat infection which caused me to have fever for 3 consecutive days. I was sooo tired to pump due to the chills and rigors. So I converted my pump hrs from 12hrly to once per day. I know my supply will definitely drop further but I was really too weak to stay awake to pump. And anyway I was planning to stop pumping as I am going to europe for 17 days in 2 wks time. So I cant possibly pump and travel. So I decided to stop too.

But I jus feel this sudden sense of loss. Like after months of hard wrk. Its like going bck to square 1. I feel upset and lost. I keep thinking did I do the right thing. I feel down. But I know I cant resume pumping at wrk as my job nature wont allow me to pump regularly. Which is really sad.

Hope I am not too naggy. I juz wanna vent out my frustration. And hope that mummies with similar experience share with me how u cope during this stressful period.

TIA.

MumsandBubs

Oh I fully understand what u r feeling. I struggled to give up many times along the way. My bb is 3 months today, I am just telling myself few moments ago that I have made the right decision to persevere.

You have done very well! You are a good mummy!

Why can't pump out during trip? Just pump out at hotel? Bring a cooler bag n bottle warmer? They are small items. In situations where u can't pump u can hand express in toilets. I did that once when I was at GP with my older son and q was long and i didn't have my pump. As long as u remove milk u will keep producing. U don't need to sterilise equipment or bottles, just wash with soap.

Whatever decision u make, big hugs to u for all your precious efforts!

Alisa

i can totally know how u feel and like many working moms, i been thru that too. i went back to work when my son was 4mth, i continue to pump (once a day in office) and latched on fully during the night and its very tiring as i need to wake up at 6am everyday. and i gotten so weak from BF my son that my immune system got so low that i was always sick after i started working. i also tell myself, at least BF him till he is 6mth old. when he reached 6mth, i thought of continue but i have gotten so skinny till my colleagues comment that i looked like chopstick! and still, always sick. (but my tummy still there...) that is when my husband said i should stop BF, i need to build my body up again if not i will collapse. that was when my son was 7mth. also during that time, doc gave me strong med which i cannot BF my son while on that pills so its really time to stop. Its painful to stop cuz i know BF is the best food for my son and its where we bond during latching too... but when i am not feeling well, my body will not be able to produce healthy, nutrition milk for him. my son also gotten sick everymth since he started infant care and we are both spreading virus to each other mthly.

give yrself a pad on yr shoulder, at least u manage to BF till 6mth! my SIL stop bf after 1 week.

andieluv2

Dear mummy,

Thanks for the encouragements... I am not latching her as I am pumping exclusively for her. But bcoz I gotta pump I feel that I miss out alot of bonding time with her bcoz everytime I gotta pump at 10pm then thats whn she willl have her last feed and then she will go to slp. I cant depend on my husband to do it as he doesnt know how to feed her properly and my girl wont slp if he coax her. So we gotta depend on our maid. And both of us are wrking parents, and my bb is taken care by my maid with my mil supervising and watching, my girl is now closer to me maid than me! She wants her to carry and will look for her. I feel really sad. I wanna gain bck that bonding with her. I want her to be close to me like whn she is in me, listening to my heart beat, like she's part of me.

Now that I am stopping, I got more time to spend with her and I hope the bonding could be build again.

lyra

Its hard being a mom. My boy is latched on and I bf him for 1 year plus. He's very attached to me, in fact TOO attached. Demands for his milk milk all the time! Now that I'm preg with second one, its harder to bf him and its very tiring for me and yet he's more sticky to me maybe bcoz he knows another baby is coming along. So, its good that you get help from maid and mil. Don't stress urself and be positive for your baby and for your own health. Breastfeeding our precious is good of course but not breastfeeding them doesn't mean its very bad too. There are pros and cons.

fydapai

Mummy u are doing great! The more you stress up, the more you will feel guilty. So chin up! Even the tinest amount of bm to baby, is good enough! i am still breastfeeding my #1, coming to 13 mths. I had my bad days too. From low supply to engorgement to block ducts, i went thru all! my supply is extremely low now as im expecting #2. Im a working mum, every pumping session i get now is between 10ml - 20ml. i still pump anyway! huhuhu

Wow fydapai, you are amazing lor!

Can I ask if period will affect milk supply? Cos i have got that twice to far after giving birth 3 months ago...it is bits but very much like period...then i find that my milk supply goes down too.

quincy1986

no worry~
i hear the saying that your breasts may sag if you breastfeed
if i can dont breast feed i will not breast feed. haha~~
my own mother also dont breast feed on me. straight away give me formula milk.

andieluv2

fydapai:745801 said:
Mummy u are doing great! The more you stress up, the more you will feel guilty. So chin up! Even the tinest amount of bm to baby, is good enough! i am still breastfeeding my #1, coming to 13 mths. I had my bad days too. From low supply to engorgement to block ducts, i went thru all! my supply is extremely low now as im expecting #2. Im a working mum, every pumping session i get now is between 10ml - 20ml. i still pump anyway! huhuhu
Look up to u my dear! Despite getting little every session u still pump. How I wish I could bf her longer. But I already stop pumping and I know I cant keep up with the schedule. Hence I stopped. Now I miss it so much to bf her again. I feel like I am missing out something good for her.

lyra

no worry~
i hear the saying that your breasts may sag if you breastfeed
if i can dont breast feed i will not breast feed. haha~~
my own mother also dont breast feed on me. straight away give me formula milk.
Its a myth, dear mummy. Sagging breasts is part of aging n pregnancy will cause physical changes. If don't want sagging breasts, then best is don't give birth at all but we still want to have own babies right? Anyway not true that breastfeeding makes breasts sag more than if u don't breastfeed. Moreover breastfeeding reduces ur risk of getting breast cancer.