Fetus too small? Anyone had the same problem?

AliceElise

Just a short intro. Found out I was pregnant on Valentine's Day (First baby). Hubby is overjoyed. Met my family doctor on 16th Feb to confirm, referred me to his Gynae friend. Visited Gynae on 18th Feb.

Gynae did vaginal ultrasound. Baby in correct position, no worries on ectopic pregnancy. However, Doctor said very insensitive things like your fetus is 'too significantly small, it might not live'. No details, no explanations, no words of comfort, I did ask why and what can I do. Just said to come back in 2 weeks' time and that 1 in 8 babies die for no reason.

Based on his method of counting, my last period started on 7 Jan. So he counted about 5-6weeks. Hubby and I are quite sure it happened on 25 Jan. However, Gynae refused to comment when I asked if the size was normal for 3-4 weeks fetus.

Firstly, I do not know how to work with a gynae who is so cold.
Secondly, hoping that some moms-to-be can help. Is 0.6mm* too small? I can't wait two weeks. I worry so much I can't sleep, can't work.
Last but not least, should I be seeking a second opinion? Or should I go back to him? Our first visit costed us $100+, it is not cheap. Or is it?

Last edited:

pixie

Hi congrats on getting pregnant.

I will suggest you to seek 2nd opinion.

Do take note that usually fetus/sac can only be seen during the ultrasound scan is around 6 weeks. So based on your own calculation, if fetus is only 3-4 weeks old, then I am not surprised that it is extremely small.

First thing first, do not fret over what the gynae has told you. The conceived/EDD date is not always accurate. Take care.

Last edited:

roudx

Hi Alice, I would advise you to go to other gynae for your next visit. I don't know about sizes of fetus... But I find the doctor very insensitive and also what's about saying 1 out of 8 babies die for no reason. I think generally everyone knows that, we don't need reminders. We don't need added on stress / worries.

cys

Dont worry I was told by my gynae the same thing regarding the size but now my baby is 37 weeks in my womb

Alisa

i do not like what yr gynae comment. i will change a gynae for my next visit. don stress yrself. initial stage, it is really very small, they will continue to grow as long u rest well & eat well.

AliceElise

Hi everyone, thanks for your nice replies.

I have decided to visit another gynae. For second opinion, and *hopefully* better advice. I have been resting well, these days just go home after work to sleep, no energy for anything else. But food-wise, not exactly having a good time. Just eat for the sake of eating..

Cys,
Did you do anything extra so your baby gets added nutrients? Eg. milk, vitamins..
I have been taking folic acid since I found out..

roudx

Actually, sure very small one considering u only few weeks... My first scanning, Gynae never said things so discouraging.. He only mentioned fetus too small to know exactly the EDD.. He only roughly gauge.. He ask me come back again to check when it grows bigger.
So that's why I think most fetus are small during the 1st few weeks. Now also growing up fine.. So don't be disheartening by that insensitive Gynae.. Who would like it if they went for their first ever scanning and Gynae told them 1 out of 8 babies will die.. =.="? Like .... Really? WTH. Sorry but I really dislike hearing that.

ordolla

Did your gynae give you Daphaston or hormone pills? I was given that previously. Supposedly helps to stablise the pregnancy.

In my previous pregnancy, fetus was too small for the first few checkups too but it still grew. However, it stopped growing and became smaller. That's when we can ascertain that it was not healthy. By then it was around 12 weeks. I think yours is too early to tell for sure.

AliceElise

Roudx:
YA. I told my hubby I would have blasted at the gynae if I wasn't so upset.. Funny thing is my fetus so small he still die die insist I am 5 weeks pregnant.

Ordolla, No, nothing. He did not prescribe me anything. He wanted to prescribe me some folic acid, but I already taken from my family doctor. I asked if there are any other vitamins I can take so baby grow, he say no.

Going to Dr Koh at TPY, although I heard his nurses can be very rude.. Anyone here saw Dr Koh before? Deciding between him and Dr TC Chang, but can never get through to TC Chang's clinic..

imethereal

AliceElice:

I'm 10w5d pregnant right now. Similar to your case I had a first scan on 6th week (6w0d to be exact) and the embryo measured 0.38mm under vaginal ultrasound scan. My gynae didn't say anything about size but simply "everything is good, the baby (i mean, the small white patch of thing on the screen) is moving." She even said "from the move you can see the heartbeating, there's no problem at all".

But hey, 0.6mm isn't small! My baby last week was 3.27cm, can see small arms and legs with a healthy strong heartbeat. My gynae is at Thomson... Jeanette Chen. very nice encouraging and bubbling lady doctor.

Ivy Miao

Hey mummy, congratulate to ur first baby!!! First of all, it's so insensitive for gynae to say such words to you. Super insensitive! U need rest... My 2nd girl, first scan, doc couldn't find my bb. Took blood test and asked to rest at home. 2week later, scan, baby no heartbeat, told to rest a week on bed. Next week scan, baby heartbeat weak. Rest on bed again. 1week later, everything perfectly normal!! Rest is the key for first trimester... Don't worry too much. Change another gynae... Mine, I went to sincere women clinic. Dr Michele... Women gynae. Very easy to speak when comes to women gynae..

Luvia

Hey Alice, I will not worry too much. I had my ultrasound scan at 4 weeks too and there was hardly anything except a water bag .. did again at week 6 and i could hardly see a faint blink as heartbeat so my wonderful gynae reassure me with a sound scan and when I heard baby's heartbeak loud & strong, I was totally relieved and cried .hahaha

Now I am in my 7th week and am experiencing cramps so will be popping by my Gynae on Monday just to be sure baby is fine.

I am a first time mummy too and I just got married in the first week of Jan so we are very blessed with our little honeymoon joy !

roudx

Hi Luvia, congrats!! Initially I was quite paranoid ... Always thinking whether my BB will die inside me or not as I have heard that 1st trim is very unstable and my best friend had her 1st BB died and she was very upset .. She told me when she went to wash it out, the gynae consoled her and said actually 1 out of 5 BB will die .... She's still young and would soon have a strong healthy BB.
That's why i keep thinking n worrying my BB and always long for the next appt with my Gynae...
Very happy once I passed the 1st trim as 2nd trim onwards more stable.. I'm at 26 weeks now, saw my precious little princess yawning during the ultrasound scan few days back :p

relax...it is perfectly NORMAL to be small, it's as small as a red bean. I just feel your gyane is not PROFESSIONAL.

just fixed an appointment with those reputable ones at kk, Thomson Medical Center, me etc...dont go back to him anymore.

Something to highlight, at 5-6 weeks, foetus is NOT EVEN FORM yet, foetus only start forming at week 9-10. I am a FTM also know this general knowledge, wondering why a professional gyane doesnt know about it?

AliceElise

heehee. Yes, not going back to him anymore. Have appointment with another gynae this coming wed! & within the last few days I've been feeling nauseous ALL day. I joked to my hubby that it's evidence our baby is growing. The feeling is horrible, I don't remember the last time I actually enjoyed my food, but I don't mind! Hehe. At least I've stopped crying over what the gynae told me last week. (Everyday I just want to eat agar agar!)

AliceElise

Update:
So glad I visited another gynae. Heard heartbeat today! And gynae confirm I am 6 weeks now, and not 6 weeks 2 weeks ago!
Happy but at the same time worried as I'll be out of town from 28 mar to 20 apr. Gynae says i might miss my OSCAR.

Any mommies did OSCAR at 14 weeks??

Update:
So glad I visited another gynae. Heard heartbeat today! And gynae confirm I am 6 weeks now, and not 6 weeks 2 weeks ago!
Happy but at the same time worried as I'll be out of town from 28 mar to 20 apr. Gynae says i might miss my OSCAR.

Any mommies did OSCAR at 14 weeks??
OSCAR are performed at week 11-13 not week 14. Please book early as its very hard to get appointments.

AliceElise

That's what my husband said too. Not a must to do. But I'm a worrywart, I can't skip it. Gonna take the Nuchal test + Blood test in London instead! Doc said ok, anyway the technology came from them.. Hope their side appointments not as hard to make *cross fingers*