First foods for 6 months old baby

Starbat11

Dear all,

My baby is currently 5 months old. M thinkg of starting him semi solid foods next month. I just bought cereals for him ytd. Is there any other foods that mummies would recommend?

I saw that there are a couple of purees foods sold in small glass containers at NTUC. Do mummies recommend that or we prepare it ourselves?

Pls share. Thks

jasobias

Dear all,

My baby is currently 5 months old. M thinkg of starting him semi solid foods next month. I just bought cereals for him ytd. Is there any other foods that mummies would recommend?

I saw that there are a couple of purees foods sold in small glass containers at NTUC. Do mummies recommend that or we prepare it ourselves?

Pls share. Thks
If u r strapped for time then u cld buy those bottled variety like gerber n heinz kind.Gd to keep a few bottles at home actually for just in case situations.If u have time, u cld actually prepare baby food n store in freezer.When time to eat just microwave .
First foods r usually simple fares such as apple purees,pear,banana,carrots,pumpkin.

diymummy

Start 1 food at a time for 4 days to watch for allergies. When introducing first foods it's more for baby to get used to idea of getting food off a spoon.

You can introduce purees after 4 days of trying or when your baby is ok with feeding from a spoon. Main nutrition should still come from milk.

Usually I prepare my own purees in batches and freeze them.

Those glass kinds ones are ok but after opening, you should take out what you need with a clean spoon then store the rest in the fridge. You have to consume it within 2 days.

meiteoh

diymummy has covered the basic grounds. Perhaps you could explore the internet for more info on weaning before actually starting.

Some sites are:

Guide to Weaning - Netmums
Homemade Baby Food Recipes To Help You Create A Healthy Menu For YOUR Baby

I bought Super Baby Food and did tons of reading - am still at it actually - since I took her in for her 4th month jab (the paed mentioned that I could start if I wanted to but I've been delaying until the right moment which is now).

I have some purées in glass jars, given to me by SIA when I flew with them in August but I'm planning on making my own as my hubby's godmother got us a recipe book and machine for making baby food (BEABA Babycook).

I also did a lot of pre-preparation by buying things like spoons, bowls, storage stuff, a training cup (coz Eva has never drank from a bottle and I want her to take in water as well) plus a chair just for feeding not to mention small cloths and bibs for the mess. :p

apollo

for pumpkin, carrot all these, i make my own puree.. as for fruits lik applesauce, prunes, peaches, pears, i buy Gerber glass bottle one.. =D

mommie_lynn

Dear all,

Pls share. Thks
Hi, i bought frisocrem for her to try as it is milk-based. I also prepared apple puree for her and I add some milk to it so as to make it more watery and 'familiar' for her to taste.