first milk cannot drink?

My colleague recently shared with me that the first breast milk cannot be drink but I thought they are colostrum and Srebrenica good for babies?

She also said if mummy is ill cannot breastfeed but I read that it's ok.

Can mummies advise? Thanks!!

najwee

Please feed your baby the first milk you produce! It's packed with all the nutrients your newborn needs. In fact it has the highest concentration than the milk you will later produce. It's the "golden" milk.

Re on bfing while you are ill: as long as its not highly contagious and on meds that is safe for bfing, it's alright to continue. You are actually passing on the antibodies that you have to your baby via the bm. This was what my doctor told me.

najwee

No problem! I assume you have not given birth yet ya? If not the LC in the hospital would have educated you on this...

i dont know if yr colleague get the facts right or not, what she mention are so wrong.

colostrum are very good for babies. this golden liquid are so precious that if you have, please do give.

please breastfeed even if u are sick. the baby will build their immunity and fight against the bad antibodies. there is safe medication for breastfeeding mum, so it is fine.

lyra

You can try to educate your colleague the correct info on breastfeeding! There r so many myths flying around regarding breastfeeding. I heard a lot of ridiculous ones from well meaning friends and relatives during those days when I started to breastfeed my baby.

Colostrum is the best for baby! Never mind if the full milk hasn't kicked in because our babies can tahan 3 days without milk after childbirth. Usually, on the 3rd day, most mom's milk will come in. If we get sick, we can get medicine that are breastfeeding friendly and then continue to breastfeed baby. Baby will get the antibodies through us and they will be less likely to get sick. One thing to note is do not take herbs or medication without a doctor's advice on whether this is ok to take during breastfeeding. Some Chinese herbs can prolong baby's jaundice. Don't listen to confinement ladies' or elder relatives' advices to take herbs/OTC medicine without doing a double check online to see if the drug or herbs is breastfeeding friendly, or you can check with a breastfeeding friendly doctor. Some doctors are not breastfeeding friendly and will advice you to stop breastfeeding for any small illnesses too. So we must be careful...

Thanks mummies here!

My colleague meant well but guess she dint read up much on these or maybe it's through those nannies that she heard of.

So when breast feeding am I restricted to certain food just like during pregnancy? E.g. soft boil egg, raw veggies or sashimi? And if confinement lady cook food with hard liquor or hua diao jiu can?

Rodorsany

I only abstain certain food... Which may cause allergy...

Liquor cooked shd be ok... Moderate amt advised though alcohol evaporates at ard 40~50 degrees...

first mill very impt!! esp if baby has jaundice cos it helps to clear the bilirubin fast.

If your baby has jaundice like mine, i was told to keep clear of TCM herbs cos some herbs interferes with the liver function of the baby and worsen the jaundice. as for other food, if your hubby and you have allergy history, good to keep clear of food that are highly allergic as well, like dairy products, nuts, wheat. but then it is very difficult to avoid these food so just eat lesser of these.

if baby got jaundice , reduce ginger intake for awhile till baby gets better.

cook any alcohol before consumption. the cooking time depends on the amt of alcohol u put in. for example, i had one bowl pf dome cook with chicken as soup, need 2-3 hours of cooking to make sure the alcohol content is removed.

Alina111

I let my baby drink the first flows coz i believe that in the first drop that's the more vitamins and i will never it miss for my baby first feed :)