First time mum!

Eleanor

Hi all! I've just been tested positive and according to the pregnancy calculator, i'm 4 weeks and it's my first baby!! I'm so lost as to what should I do next? Can all mums/mums-to-be advice on what is to be done next? I'm not sure if I should tell my parents/in-laws yet..and what kinda food should I take or not take? And do I need to see a gynae now? I was also thinking if TCM is required.....Would appreciate all your advice! Tks!!

rav3naers

Congrats! Make an appt with ur gynae for a hcg blood test and/or scan. If u dun have one, just head to the nearest gynae u can find. Cheers! :)

Qookie

Congrads! :)

I felt very lost when i got pregnant too. When i went 'gynae shopping' i was freaked out when the nurses asked, 'which hospital i wanted to deliver in, what kind of delivery, etc.'

You don't need to tell your parents/in-laws until you're ready to break the news. Once they know, EVERYONE knows! Haha. Some pregnant moms will tell everyone straight away. Some will wait till they're past the 1st trimester. Others will just wait till their tummy shows ;)

Most gynaes will see you around 10weeks. If you go too early, you wouldn't be able to see anything at all. But you can visit your GP for a blood test to confirm your pregnancy, get recommendations on gynaes and get some folic acid pills.

Do refer to this. I found it VERY helpful:
http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/_Documents/consumer_pdf/pregnancy-brochure.pdf

nidellia

Congrats!

It's up to you if you want to share with your parents and in laws first. for me, we waited till we see a heartbeat then we told inlaws and parents. That is about 6 weeks plus. Usually people would see gynae at about 8 weeks. We did not tell others. wanted to wait till stable (12 weeks) then tell others. Meanwhile, please take folic acid which you can buy from Guardian or Unity. It's a yellow tablet. As for food wise, avoid raw food like sashimi, half boiled egg, soft cheese like feta, blue cheese; processed food like hot dogs, sausages; cooling food such as barley, watermelon, green papaya, bittergourd, pineapple, cold water etc and herbal stuff like bak kut teh and herbal soups as some herbs are not for pregnant women so be safe. we do not know what kind of herbs they put into the soups. And fish like mackerel (saba), sting ray, shark, tuna as well as their mercury levels are higher than other fish.

Eleanor

Congrats! Make an appt with ur gynae for a hcg blood test and/or scan. If u dun have one, just head to the nearest gynae u can find. Cheers! :)
Thanks! =) is the hcg blood test to test to see if the hcg levels are healthy to sustain baby? Usually how long will it take to get the results?

Eleanor

Thanks Qookie & Nidellia! I'm hesitant to let my parents know for now bcos now it's still at a very early stage....yet if I let them know, maybe they could give some advise and cook some tonics that can help to 'bu'...As for folic acid, i'm on it already hehe..Can I still do sports as usual? Like maybe jogging/swimming etc?

nidellia

as for 'bu', currently at first tri, no need to really bu. usually the 'bu' will come in in 2nd tri. as for sports, not too sure. but really no strenuous exercises. and be extra careful.

junebug86

Congrats! I felt very excited when I found out about my pregnancy too :) I couldn't keep it to myself so I told my parents first followed by my In laws. You can take 5000mcg of folic acid during pregnancy and start to source for a gynae. My gynae only see me when I was about 6+ weeks pregnant as they cannot detect anything if we go down too early.

I only announce to friends after the 4th month detail scan. Try not to carry heavy load and rest more during the 1st trimester. Update us when you have seen your gynae k? :)

Qookie

When pregnant, i realised my fitness level isn't like before. I thought i could feel when i was tired and hydrated myself quite abit. But 1 round walking around Bedok Reservoir sent me puking (that was the only time i puked during my pregnancy).

Better go for more leisurely sports, unless you've been a sportsperson all the while. Sports like swimming and walking (not under the hot sun though) is ideal.

Eleanor

as for 'bu', currently at first tri, no need to really bu. usually the 'bu' will come in in 2nd tri. as for sports, not too sure. but really no strenuous exercises. and be extra careful.
Icic! i thought first trimester very crucial so need to start 'bu'...hehe thanks nidellia!

Eleanor

Congrats! I felt very excited when I found out about my pregnancy too :) I couldn't keep it to myself so I told my parents first followed by my In laws. You can take 5000mcg of folic acid during pregnancy and start to source for a gynae. My gynae only see me when I was about 6+ weeks pregnant as they cannot detect anything if we go down too early.

I only announce to friends after the 4th month detail scan. Try not to carry heavy load and rest more during the 1st trimester. Update us when you have seen your gynae k? :)
Thanks junebug!currently i'm on 400mcg of folic acid...would it be sufficient?? As for the gynae, I think i'll be going for Dr Benjamin Tham...his reviews seem good so far..who was your gynae?
i read that the baby's heart starts to beat at Week 5...so might go for the first gynae appointment around week 6? hehe

Eleanor

When pregnant, i realised my fitness level isn't like before. I thought i could feel when i was tired and hydrated myself quite abit. But 1 round walking around Bedok Reservoir sent me puking (that was the only time i puked during my pregnancy).

Better go for more leisurely sports, unless you've been a sportsperson all the while. Sports like swimming and walking (not under the hot sun though) is ideal.
hmm..i'm not really that active before pregnant...maybe i'll take up yoga or smtin...heard it's good and helps in a smoother delivery:001_302:

junebug86

Eleanor:806412 said:

Thanks junebug!currently i'm on 400mcg of folic acid...would it be sufficient?? As for the gynae, I think i'll be going for Dr Benjamin Tham...his reviews seem good so far..who was your gynae?
i read that the baby's heart starts to beat at Week 5...so might go for the first gynae appointment around week 6? hehe
We will need more folic acid when preggy but you can consult your gynae for the recommended dosage. My gynae told me that we won't overdose on folic acid so no harm taking more. My gynae was Dr Geraldine Tan from TMC but she has her own clinic In Katong.

All babies grow at a different rate so don't worry even if you do not see the heartbeat at 6+ weeks. I visited my gynae at 6+ weeks and did a vaginal ultrasound to confirm my pregnancy, though I did multiple urine tests myself and with a GP lol

Eleanor

dr tham is my gynae..i visited him 2 weeks ago and was 6 weeks 5 days.
i can hear baby heartbeat during ultrascan. amazing :)
ohhh how do you find him so far?? Is he patient and assuring? Bcos I can be quite anxious and panicky..so I would need a doctor that is understanding and can answer my questions patiently! hehe

Eleanor

We will need more folic acid when preggy but you can consult your gynae for the recommended dosage. My gynae told me that we won't overdose on folic acid so no harm taking more. My gynae was Dr Geraldine Tan from TMC but she has her own clinic In Katong.

All babies grow at a different rate so don't worry even if you do not see the heartbeat at 6+ weeks. I visited my gynae at 6+ weeks and did a vaginal ultrasound to confirm my pregnancy, though I did multiple urine tests myself and with a GP lol
Waa junebug, you did so many tests to confirm ur pregnant..lol I guess I will make an appointment to see the gynae when i'm week 6 too =) In the meantime, i'll just continue taking my folic acids...heh

Yes he looks fatherly and very patient and friendly..
but if u feels awkward with male gynae then don't..

he did vaginal scan on my first visit and I was abit surprised..but then I reassured myself that he is well experienced
he starts seeing when you r at 6 weeks

junebug86

Lol yes I tested many times to make sure that it was really positive because I tested 1 day before period due. Next day I went straight to GP cos it was a sunday..can't wait lol.

Vaginal scan on 1st visit seems normal. I was also abit surprised at first cause I was not aware that gynae will be doing a vaginal scan. Gynae explained that it would be clearer and higher chance of seeing the sac and heartbeat than compared to normal tummy scans.

Eleanor

Yes he looks fatherly and very patient and friendly..
but if u feels awkward with male gynae then don't..

he did vaginal scan on my first visit and I was abit surprised..but then I reassured myself that he is well experienced
he starts seeing when you r at 6 weeks
Hmm..I'm not sure if i'll be comfortable with a male gynae...but I tell myself that they're professionals..however, my hubby is not comfortable with the idea...But to me, I just want whichever gynae that's good..lol afterall i'm the one giving birth...Err..wat's the vaginal scan for?? Is it necessary for first visit? I thought usually it's just ultrasound...:err:

Eleanor

Lol yes I tested many times to make sure that it was really positive because I tested 1 day before period due. Next day I went straight to GP cos it was a sunday..can't wait lol.

Vaginal scan on 1st visit seems normal. I was also abit surprised at first cause I was not aware that gynae will be doing a vaginal scan. Gynae explained that it would be clearer and higher chance of seeing the sac and heartbeat than compared to normal tummy scans.
Lol I understand your excitement...my period was only 2 days late and I couldn't wait so I tested it as well..I think i'll be going to a GP this weekend to get a further confirmation haha. Oh my...seems like vaginal scan is really normal. May I know how is is it done? and does it hurt?? I'm quite scared of pain...:embarrassed: