First Time Mummy: What to buy to prepare for baby's birth?

5mummy

Any mummies here can help? :)

How many pcs of clothes do I need for Baby from 1-3 months and what kind?
How many milk bottles and what size?
Milk bottle steriliser?
Baby Cot/PlayPen
Diapers yeh?
Any of those small cloth for wiping saliva?
Any mittens or socks? If so, how many?

I am so lost! :) Thank you!

Rzena

Hello 5mummy... For me, i got some hand-me-down infant clothes from my sister's boy. Hand-me-downs are really comfy and seasoned so I like them. If you don't have, can buy some but do note that 1-3mth babies outgrow their clothes VERY FAST so don't buy too many pieces.

Milk bottles... any brand will do. I got both avent and medela bottles. Have a few sets so you don't have to keep washing and sterilising once they are used. Best is breastfeed your baby... do direct latching, no bottles needed! Save money and time... :)

I dun buy sterilisers... i just use the conventional method. Put all the washed parts in a big pot of water and boil for 10mins.

Baby cot/playpen...up to you really. Some pple let their babies sleep on mattresses or co-sleep. I use a baby cot since my boy's first day. Playpen i only bought later when he grew up and needed a 'confined' and safe place to play.

Diapers.... dun buy newborn size. Use all the samples that you get from hospital/gynae/babyshows and from baby gifts. Coz by the time you finish those, they outgrow NB size. Haha... Buy S size better. At most just buy one packet of NB size diapers.

Cloths for cleaning/wiping is a must for me. I bought a stack. Good to use for burping babies after feeding.

Mittens and socks i also use hand-me-downs.

Hope these help! Anyway just some suggestions coz every parent/baby have different preferences.. Good luck with your first born! :)

babytazz

Diapers for convenience.
nappies save environment and in long term save $. But you have to wash and wash.
For me, it's diapers...

Rzena

I bought both.... Nappies for day time, diapers for night. Sometimes when they have nappy rash, it's good to stop using diapers and use nappies instead so they can air their little butts. ;D

5mummy

Hello 5mummy... For me, i got some hand-me-down infant clothes from my sister's boy. Hand-me-downs are really comfy and seasoned so I like them. If you don't have, can buy some but do note that 1-3mth babies outgrow their clothes VERY FAST so don't buy too many pieces.

Milk bottles... any brand will do. I got both avent and medela bottles. Have a few sets so you don't have to keep washing and sterilising once they are used. Best is breastfeed your baby... do direct latching, no bottles needed! Save money and time... :)

I dun buy sterilisers... i just use the conventional method. Put all the washed parts in a big pot of water and boil for 10mins.

Baby cot/playpen...up to you really. Some pple let their babies sleep on mattresses or co-sleep. I use a baby cot since my boy's first day. Playpen i only bought later when he grew up and needed a 'confined' and safe place to play.

Diapers.... dun buy newborn size. Use all the samples that you get from hospital/gynae/babyshows and from baby gifts. Coz by the time you finish those, they outgrow NB size. Haha... Buy S size better. At most just buy one packet of NB size diapers.

Cloths for cleaning/wiping is a must for me. I bought a stack. Good to use for burping babies after feeding.

Mittens and socks i also use hand-me-downs.

Hope these help! Anyway just some suggestions coz every parent/baby have different preferences.. Good luck with your first born! :)
Omg thankyou!! Rzena

lyn27

buy lots of wet wipes.. very essential. have you also checked out organic cotton clothing? it's really soft and protects babies skin cos babies have very thin and sensitive skin. can check out Little Suite they have a collection of organic clothing from aussie, sweden etc. saw it on royals and hollywood celebrities babies!!
get a lot of onesies and prepare your hospital bag with it. you need a lot of it! yes babies outgrow but they need to wear too :)

mothercat

5mummy, if u intend to breastfeed don't forget nipple cream too.
Also will need changing mat if u dun have a designated changing area
have 2 receiving blankets to swaddle newborn, 1 standby while 1 goes into the wash