Fish Oil

zc31

Hello Mommies!

I'm into my 14weeks now, just wondering it is a must to take fish oil? Which brand are you all taking is good?

apollo

not a must if u are taking fish regularly and have a healthy and balance diet. i used to buy my fish oil from my gynae cos i think getting from gynae shd be the safest since i not sure which one is more suitable for pregnancy. maybe u can ask ur gynae??

pixie

I was not prescribed fish oil at all during my pregnancy. All I had was folic acid and iron tablets. I suppose a balance diet that contain all the vitamins and nutrients from natural fruits/food is better than taking pills. However, if you think you need those supplements, you could check with your gynae for recommendations :)

AngieTan

I am taking Green Life's Mega-DHA Fish Oil... It's mercury and PCB free... It's available at Guardian pharmacy stores... 60 softgels for $65+ but the sales person there gives me a discount of 15% so after less, is about $55+...

My gynae prescribes Natal Care Fish Oil and it costs $32 for a box of 30 softgels so buying 2 boxes actually cost more than the GreenLife one... Also, the mg is much lesser than the GreenLife one, i.e. 210 mg compared to GreenLife's one which is 500 mg (2 caps = 1000mg, so 1 cap = 500mg and therefore I only take 1 cap which is more than enough as told by the salesperson to me and made sense to me somehow hehe)... I think the mg is a lot higher than what we are given by our gynaes and may cost more...

That's why I settled for the GreenLife one... Just my recommendation... :001_302:

BTW, gynae recommended taking fish oil from 2nd trimester onwards all the way till breastfeeding stage so you can start already... It's just for the DHA and EPA content which helps in our child's eye and brain development, that's all...

Last edited:

missyqiqi

my dr didn't prescribe an fish oil for me only multi-vits, so my hubby bought fish oil for me. But I didn't take it every day, i take it on alternate days.

zc31

my dr didn't prescribe an fish oil for me only multi-vits, so my hubby bought fish oil for me. But I didn't take it every day, i take it on alternate days.

That's strange. Fish oil usually not inclusive in the prenatal package but doctor will usually recommend. For the child's brain development, etc.

I wasn't prescribed any fish oil too. But I bought the Kordel's brand of fish oil to for the DHA too. Its around $29 for 90 soft gels at Watsons.

sfchu

my gynae told me as long as i eat fish twice a week, i don't have to take fish oil. but when i went to the cashier to pay for consultation fee, the cashier tried very hard to sell me their fish oil, kept saying is my own good.

Echo

My gynae gave me ProLacta with DHA for Mother. He mentioned it is important to supply DHA from second trimester onward so I take one softgel everyday. Sometimes I will forget to take as there are so many supplements...

Personally I think taking fish regularly will also do. Heard cord fish is quite good.

Dilys

Hello Mommies!

I'm into my 14weeks now, just wondering it is a must to take fish oil? Which brand are you all taking is good?
]

Hi zc31,

Yes it's a must to take fish oil, if you want better growth of your baby's brain. I am taking ProLacta with DHA for Mother given by my gynae.
I was given fish oil, calcium, iron when i visit on my 12wk. It's included in my prenatal package.

Take 1 softgel per day. Intake of fish is not sufficient for your baby growth, how much fish can you eat one go .. the whole fish?? . It's the fish oil which is rich enough.

Just one softgel, you safe all the hassle .. n no worries that baby not healthy !

Last edited:

pixie

This is NOT true. My uncle's wife did not take any fish oil and yet their son who is 13 year-old now always comes in as number 1 in the primary school and now in secondary 1, he is the top 10% in the school.

]

Hi zc31,

Yes it's a must to take fish oil, if you want better growth of your baby's brain. I am taking ProLacta with DHA for Mother given by my gynae.
I was given fish oil, calcium, iron when i visit on my 12wk. It's included in my prenatal package.

Take 1 softgel per day. Intake of fish is not sufficient for your baby growth, how much fish can you eat one go .. the whole fish?? . It's the fish oil which is rich enough.

Just one softgel, you safe all the hassle .. n no worries that baby not healthy !

Dilys

This is NOT true. My uncle's wife did not take any fish oil and yet their son who is 13 year-old now always comes in as number 1 in the primary school and now in secondary 1, he is the top 10% in the school.
Doesn"t mean that taking fish oil , will produce a intelligent kid. During pregnancy, fish oil is important as baby"s brain is developing in the tummy. If not sufficient, it may leds to any complication for some mummies. So play safe better take ! Taking it serve as a double protection for any defects.

Anyway it's up to individual. For a kid being smart , it's due to his intelligence progress .. Nothing to do with fish oil. More to IQ and EQ.

pixie

Not one gynae WILL say it is a MUST (which what Dilys has pointed out) to take fish oil as they know that Omega 3 can be obtained from taking fish in our usual diet.

Some pregnant mums can't stand the smell of fish and the gynae will prescribe fish oil supplement. Definitely it is up to individual to decide whether to take it or not.

Last edited:

Dilys

Not one gynae WILL say it is a MUST (which what Dilys has pointed out) to take fish oil as they know that Omega 3 can be obtained from taking fish in our usual diet.

Some pregnant mums can't stand the smell of fish and the gynae will prescribe fish oil supplement. Definitely it is up to individual to decide whether to take it or not.
Oh for my gynae , he is nice to make sure that I am sufficient of everything at least I can save the hassle of any trouble. * some gynae try to play safe as *touch wood anything defects or no proper growth for baby.. Gynae will always be the one who is blamed! As what I was told by my gynae some can say they can eat fish as replacement for those pills but is it sure that those fish intaken is sufficient everyday.

So nowadays, gynae will be more kiasu to give. But really depends how much you want your baby to absorb! :)

But comes to the end ... still depends on indiviual.. some mummies simply just hate taking pills... I am one of them but for the good for baby .. some thing u gotta scarifice.

If you really don't like popping pills... u have to make sure that you are discipline enough to have sufficient intake everyday.

Happy Saturday to all mummies !!!

Last edited:

pixie

Not all gynae will be 'kiasi or kiasu'. In fact, an experienced gynae would be able to provide sound advice whether the pregnant mum needs anything extra or if she isn't taking sufficient nutrients. Often times from the blood tests, it tells a lot about us (if we are shortage of any minerals or nutrients) and the baby.

My gynae believes in absorbing nutrients from our daily meals is the best in having a NORMAL and HEALTHY baby so she does not usually prescribe me pills unnecessarily. Popping pills is not really 'safe' and not really benefits the baby. Many take it for having this 'kiasi' and 'kiasu; mentality.

Dilys

Not all gynae will be 'kiasi or kiasu'. In fact, an experienced gynae would be able to provide sound advice whether the pregnant mum needs anything extra or if she isn't taking sufficient nutrients. Often times from the blood tests, it tells a lot about us (if we are shortage of any minerals or nutrients) and the baby.

My gynae believes in absorbing nutrients from our daily meals is the best in having a NORMAL and HEALTHY baby so she does not usually prescribe me pills unnecessarily. Popping pills is not really 'safe' and not really benefits the baby. Many take it for having this 'kiasi' and 'kiasu; mentality.

Haha ...No matter what just believe it yourself !But I believe that just take whatever it's given by the gynae since you are paying for all the medicine.
From what I see here, I am just surprised that some of the prenatal packages, fish oil are not included.

Anyway ,just take whatever you are comfortable ! As long mummies & babies are healthy !! :)

Last edited:

blackpiggy

Hello Mommies!

not a must, but good to if cost is not a concern. 14 weeks is too early to take fish oil, you can start after 20weeks. I took neurogain when I was pregnant and still taking them now for lactation.

Sweetoothz

hey ladies,
just 1 question. how do u guys take the fish oil and not have the fishy after breath?
the after breath makes me hate to take them n i've stop since! like super eewwww!!!!

Hi Sweetoothz, currently im taking fish oil which is in liquid form. it tastes yummy like smoothie and no after taste or disgusting taste when burping :wong19: It comes with Mango, Lemon Zest, Raspberry Chocolate flavour :Dancing_wub:pM me if you keen.