Food Can Or Canot Eat For Bf

MommyEtrini

i only know that canot eat high fiber food , broccoli , eggs , soy & wheat .
any other food that we cant eat !? or drink ?:001_07::001_07::001_07:

-jOanna

ginger? if eat ginger or food wif ginger muz 2hrs later den can express milk or bf..

most of all muz eat healthy bah.. then milk to giv baby also good :001_302:

Shirix

ginger? if eat ginger or food with ginger must 2hrs later then can express milk or bf..

most of all must eat healthy bah.. then milk to give baby also good :001_302:
why ginger?? i thought during confinement we have to eat a lot of ginger to expel the "wind" in our body.. so u mean we have to feed baby 2hrs later??

meiteoh

People say that if your baby has jaundice, you shouldn't eat ginger as it'll make it worse. But otherwise, you can eat anything you like except alcohol, coffee and tea plus cabbage - which will all affect milk production.

Honestly, I've been eating high fibre and wheat-based products as well as eggs since I gave birth and Eva is okay. The key, I supposed, is in eating moderately.

i avoided peanuts when i was breastfeeding as it caused an allergic reaction in my baby. peanuts are known to be prone to causing allergic reactions. but PD says my ds might grow out of the allergy.

serenelm

i oso feel everything can be eaten, so long as in moderation (e.g. coffee, tea, coke etc)... i oni avoid taking cockles cos scared of the toxin...

PinkDiamonds

I have to avoid seafood (except fish) as it seems to aggravate my daughter's eczema. The other day I forgot and I had laksa for dinner, end up have to play safe, give her formula milk & had to throw away my expressed milk.

So far drinking drinks that contain caffeine doesn't seem to affect my baby, but like what serenlm said, everything in moderation.

Oppsgal

When bf, don't drink caffeine/alcoholic drinks. If really want to drink, drink after express milk. For me, I play cheat by drinking a bit after express milk out.

don't eat too much ginger as will make milk too spicy.

For me, I don't drink Dom before express milk.

Last edited:

MommyEtrini

People say that if your baby has jaundice, you shouldn't eat ginger as it'll make it worse. But otherwise, you can eat anything you like except alcohol, coffee and tea plus cabbage - which will all affect milk production.

Honestly, I've been eating high fibre and wheat-based products as well as eggs since I gave birth and Eva is okay. The key, I supposed, is in eating moderately.

Thanks !! anyway my girl is younger by your baby by 1 day haha !

snowbear

i only know that canot eat high fiber food , broccoli , eggs , soy & wheat .
any other food that we cant eat !? or drink ?:001_07::001_07::001_07:
Hi, I've been bfding since day 1 till now (dd's coming 14mths). hmm.. I avoided foods that caused gas in the first month or so such as broccoli and cabbage. I also avoided caffeine in the first month because I was afraid of the effect of caffeine on newborns. But after the first month, I tried eating a bit of the gas-causing foods and slowly increased the intake till my normal portion and dd was fine. As other mummies have mentioned, just do everything in moderation. :) Regarding ginger, it's not necessary to really eat the ginger to get rid of the wind; my mil says just cook with the food also can. I didn't eat any ginger at all and I din take any dom/yomeishu either... :)

Other foods that you can't eat are fish that are high in mercury (this is similar to when you were pregnant) and don't drink alcohol please. If you have to, drink it after bfding and avoid bfding for the next few hrs.

Amulet

If you are breastfeeding, avoid liver. Liver will greatly decrease your milk supply.
eh? my aunt said the same thing, but i had tonnes of liver wor.. coz it's high in iron, i believe it boost the iron in our blood supply, more red blood cells, thus better milk supply..

howcome so many things cannot eat? i eat everything wor.. although i avoid broccoli when baby is young coz it seems to make her gassy..

nancy

woah there's so much thing we cant eat .. thanks thanks for sharing !
Hmmmm... I eat literally everything (i/c sashimi) when I'm breastfeeding (except alcohol) and my baby still drinks my milk happily.. It also depends on our babies.. some babies may be fussy eaters while others may not be. I ate a lot of spicy food during pregnancy and still consume spicy food during BF and baby still drinks happily from my milk.

vivikool

if dun wan to drink DOM or Yomeishu (which some mothers say is good for building up new mummies' health), can drink the HuiJi Waist tonic, non-alcohol

-jOanna

Hi, I've been bfding since day 1 till now (dear daughter's coming 14mths). hmm.. I avoided foods that caused gas in the first month or so such as broccoli and cabbage. I also avoided caffeine in the first month because I was afraid of the effect of caffeine on newborns. But after the first month, I tried eating a bit of the gas-causing foods and slowly increased the intake till my normal portion and dear daughter was fine. As other mummies have mentioned, just do everything in moderation. :) Regarding ginger, it's not necessary to really eat the ginger to get rid of the wind; my mother in law says just cook with the food also can. I didn't eat any ginger at all and I did not take any dom/yomeishu either... :)

Other foods that you can't eat are fish that are high in mercury (this is similar to when you were pregnant) and dont't drink alcohol please. If you have to, drink it after bfding and avoid bfding for the next few hours.
OMG i ate so many FISH til today im 36weeks already! they say fish is good for baby brains?

Yeap, should avoid caffeine, alcohol and peanuts. But I had quite a bit of ginger in the beginning and baby was jaundiced. But doc said no effect on baby. Anyway, even after I stopped taking ginger, he was still jaundiced. In fact breastfed babies stay jaundiced longer - ironically because of the breastmilk which is otherwise so nutritous and yummy for them. My baby only finally was cleared of jaundiced after two and a half months. Sigh.

Oatmeal is supposed to be good for BF moms too - increases milk supply. Not sure if it worked for me but I sure enjoyed eating it. And also fish with green papaya soup (I used threadfin). Should avoid those high in mercury like tuna and shark (weird to eat with green papaya too...)

Drink lots of milk yourself and you can definitely afford to eat an egg a day. Lload up on protein, calcium and Vit D rich foods. You need these to make milk! And stay very well hydrated.

Don't take overnight food - lots of nutrients lost already.

snowbear

OMG i ate so many FISH til today im 36weeks already! they say fish is good for baby brains?
Fish is good but depends on what fish darling. :)

Fish typically high in mercury that are not good for pregnant and nursing mums are shark, king mackerel, swordfish, and tilefish so be sure to steer clear of them completely while you're pregnant and nursing. Hope this helps. :)