Food for 5 mths old bb

joeyz

can mummies advice what kind of food to intro to a 5 mths old baby. i've only let dear son tried on Heinz puree. He is still on total milk intake. I am jus sooo confusing what shd i start him with and also how much each time and for start how many feed per day.. i understand about the 4 days rule but for starter, do we jus let them savour it but not treat it as a meal?

What cereal type to intro for a 5 mths old bb?

meiteoh

I think if you look around, there are already topics on the same matter - http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f74/5-month-old-baby-first-food-32620/

Please be careful when offering jar food to babies as Heinz has many non-single foods like apples and berries and so forth. It's not advisable to find multiple items in a meal to babies just starting on solids because if they have allergic reaction to the food, you don't know what caused it exactly. Start off with single items and always ALWAYS read the ingredients as the label alone is not a good indication of what's in the item, eg vanilla custard is made up of milk, rice powder, vanilla flavouring, cornflour and water - that is already four items!

joeyz

I think if you look around, there are already topics on the same matter - http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f74/5-month-old-baby-first-food-32620/

Please be careful when offering jar food to babies as Heinz has many non-single foods like apples and berries and so forth. It's not advisable to find multiple items in a meal to babies just starting on solids because if they have allergic reaction to the food, you dont't know what caused it exactly. Start off with single items and always ALWAYS read the ingredients as the label alone is not a good indication of what's in the item, eg vanilla custard is made up of milk, rice powder, vanilla flavouring, cornflour and water - that is already four items!
Hi Meiteoh,

Yeah, after i posted this thread, i found another thread on food for 5 mths old bb, well, jus 1 question, when u first started introducing semi solid food, how much do u give your baby each time? usually feed as a meal or jus snack after milk?

meiteoh

In the beginning, you can start with 1 heap tbsp of cereal or puree and once a day. Then after a week or two, you can start to increase the quantity and up to twice a day. Solids are meant to complement milk feeds so the recommendation is that you either feed solids an hour after milk feeds (or in between) or right after milk feed. In my case, I feed Eva solids right after her milk feed. In terms of quantity and frequency, she's taking about 3-4 heaped tbsp of cereal plus 2 tbsp of puree and 2 tbsp of yoghurt/tofu. But since she started teething, she has cut back on the portion by nearly half. I'm not worried coz she's still taking in milk as usual - that's important.

joeyz

In the beginning, you can start with 1 heap tbsp of cereal or puree and once a day. Then after a week or two, you can start to increase the quantity and up to twice a day. Solids are meant to complement milk feeds so the recommendation is that you either feed solids an hour after milk feeds (or in between) or right after milk feed. In my case, I feed Eva solids right after her milk feed. In terms of quantity and frequency, she's taking about 3-4 heaped tbsp of cereal plus 2 tbsp of puree and 2 tbsp of yoghurt/tofu. But since she started teething, she has cut back on the portion by nearly half. I'm not worried coz she's still taking in milk as usual - that's important.
Thanks alot meiteoh mummy for your tips & advice, i will try to work on that. Appreciate heaps. :)