Food Recommended for Pregnant Woman

mrsteo

hi i am new to this thread. my mum told me that when she was pregnant with me and my siblings, she drank raw eggs! i think for me i would go for half-boiled egg. i heard eating raw eggs will make babies stronger?

and eat papaya and grapes, she said good for boosting the "chest" of the child.. (she had papaya when she was carrying my sister and her boots are big, while she did not had it while carrying me, so im A size...) haha

but i think moderate amount of papaya is okay

Suhaidah

My gynae told me that I can eat everything during the first trimester, as I don't have apetite and could possibly lose weight. But he also asked to avoid coffee or tea. I found from website that papaya is not good for pregnant women as it may cause miscarriage. Not sure if it is true.
My gynae strongly adviced against tea, coffee, pineapple and papaya.

missyqiqi

fattyfatfat; oh great i think my mom nvr eat that much of papaya when having me.. -.-" hahaha...

Papaya got to eat fully ripe one.
Avocado is ok, coz it has healthy fats, which encourage baby to grow and mother also without putting on bad fats. Just that baby might grow a bit bigger because of the rich vitamins and nutrients. So try not to take much. Anyway fruits are suppose to rotate and take moderation. Anything take too much also no good.

I avoid all raw foods because of hygiene reason, even the western books I read also said to avoid raw food like sashimi.

My doctor only tell me to avoid pineapple (cook one is ok for now ~ 3rd trim) and coconut during the 1st and 2nd trim

bleeeee

avocado is rich in folic acid too, so should be good?

anyone taking DOM? or should i wait till confinement before taking.

Rukia

DOM contains alcohol, right? My gynae told me to avoid taking neat alcohol. Unless the alcohol is cooked, e.g. In Fish soup noodle, i wont really take it.

JJ2011

Hi, all

I m a choosy abot food (I dun like eggs,tofu...)
i m preg now. Juz wonder any "tonic" foods (eg "Essence of chicken")or any herbal soup?
Anyone know?

missyqiqi

yap avocado is good, just that take in moderate amount. I drink it about once a week, coz I'm also drinking milk everyday, scared my baby too big haha... hard for natural birth..

DOM contains alcohol so don't drink unless is cooked like what Rukia have mention.

xiaodaisy

Hi, all

i m preg now. Juz wonder any "tonic" foods (eg "Essence of chicken")or any herbal soup?
Anyone know?
if ur in 2nd trim , u could take those tonic food alrdy , however some herbal are not suitable , if u buying the herbs urself ask the chinese medical hall people whether pregnant could be taken or not , if outside drink den ask the stall holder abt it if ur unsure urself ..

if body is not very well , maybe consult gynae whether u can take such tonic stuff not , cos every person body is different ..

xiaodaisy

Hi, all

Anyone know?
if ur in 2nd trim , u could take those tonic food alrdy , however some herbal are not suitable , if u buying the herbs urself ask the chinese medical hall people whether pregnant could be taken or not , if outside drink den ask the stall holder abt it if ur unsure urself ..

if body is not very well , maybe consult gynae whether u can take such tonic stuff not , cos every person body is different ..

missyqiqi

actually i don't recommend drinking pre-prepared tonic drink like chicken essence even for normal people who are not pregnant.

I remember last time I have one patient, she want to drink chicken essence every single day until she got a lot of health issues and her kidney is already failing on her but she refuse to stop until she pass away.

Because all this are very high in salt content so better not to take too much. Some more when we are pregnant, we can't have take in high salt content food.

ast0212

I think just a balanced, healthy diet is the way to go. We're already blessed that we live in countries where good quality fresh food is readily available :)

durianfan

Hi, all

I m a choosy abot food (I dont like eggs,tofu...)
i m preg now. just wonder any "tonic" foods (eg "Essence of chicken")or any herbal soup?
Anyone know?
My traditional chinese medicine doc told me to be mindful about herbal soup especially those sold outside. If you want to prepare at home, have to check with the medical hall staff to see if they are suitable for preggy.

As for chicken essence, you can double boil at home using either kampong or black chicken. No need to add herbs according to the chinese sinseh. I double boil for between 3 - 6 hours depending on the size of the chicken.

xiaodaisy

thx xiaodaisy
yeah, i aware tht..
But gynea dun reveal much on the tonic things...:001_302:
if gynae dont , den ask those people who work in chinese medical hall also can but usually i tink gynae shld explain , mine always explained in so detailed that even my boys could understand what he saying and keep out for my diet as well =.=''

if not u can always ask ur mom or any elders in family

JJ2011

if gynae dont , den ask those people who work in chinese medical hall also can but usually i tink gynae shld explain , mine always explained in so detailed that even my boys could understand what he saying and keep out for my diet as well =.=''

if not u can always ask ur mom or any elders in family
Thx,xiaodaisy
they will say like it depend u follow chinese or western "P
haha

xiaodaisy

Thx,xiaodaisy
they will say like it depend u follow chinese or western "P
haha
hahaha !! i will say , i follow both LOL !!

old ppl will tink chinese style is good for our body and baby while gynae will tink those pills they give will be enuff den in e end oso depends on ourself lol

i take those tonic soup every wk and still take those pills everyday , both oso eat LOL !!

JJ2011

hahaha !! i will say , i follow both LOL !!

old ppl will tink chinese style is good for our body and baby while gynae will tink those pills they give will be enuff den in e end oso depends on ourself lol

i take those tonic soup every wk and still take those pills everyday , both oso eat LOL !!
haha...yeah..eat both..let bb let better :p

Is it ok to drink Manuka honey? Cos I think the constant puking is really straining on my throat and I have a constant sore throat :(

ast0212

Is it ok to drink Manuka honey? Cos I think the constant puking is really straining on my throat and I have a constant sore throat :(
Yep Manuka honey or any honey is safe and good to take as it has healing and antibacterial properties :) I hope the puking will ease for you though!

Dilys

Everything in moderation. Maybe just abit of pure honey add to water. Don't drink too much sweet drinks.. that will cause diabetes. During lots of water & eat lots of fruits is good.