Food To Give - 1 Year Old

Madako

Hi mummies & daddies, can advise me on what type of food to give and what not to give for 1 year old baby? My gal is turning 1 year old. Now, i need to change her diet abit to include more food. But rather unsure what i can give or cannot give...

Ting

why dun u let us know what u normally give to her first?
then we can add on to your list. :)

annie

actually.. after 1yr old there are many things u can give n not alot u cannot give wor.. if she is below 1 yr old then alot of things u better not give first eg cow's milk(as a drink), egg white(due to allergies) etc etc... but after yr old many things ok to give de..im waiting for my girl to pass her 1 yr mark so i dun need to worry that much on wat i cant give to her lol.

snowbear

Most things can give already, except nuts and seafood must wait till she's older. Nowadays, i give my dd a bite of most foods that i deem ok for her to eat...

crystal79

Hi mummies,

Isit ok to give ice-cream and cold drinks to my 1yrs old daughter ??? i got let my daughter to try a bit of ice-cream twice but i not sure isit ok anot....Btw still need to feed her cereal??? cos i will feed my daughter with cereal in the morn as breakfast or when i not cooking porridge. So when can i feed rice to my daughter as main meal???

annie

u can feed her rice anytime as long as she dosent gag on it. it depends alot on individula bb. my girl can take rice. u need to slowly adjust the porridge's consistency to let her get use to it (put less water into porridge). my girl more or less is taking rice liao. i jsut put 1:3 for rice n water... u can try letting her get use to bigger pc of veg n fruits n harder texture also..

for cereal.. u can keep feeding or stop feeding depends on u. even adults like us takes cereal sometimes? so there is no rules saying when to stop. i also give my girl cereal as her breaskfast still.. u can try giving bread also as breakfast. not everyday cereal.. bread, cookies, omelette, toast etc etc. finger food for her to self feed? has she started self feeding?

as for ice creams n cold drinks.. around 1.5yrs old should be safe though i dun see any reason to let them try those unhealthy foods... for my girl, she wont get to eat those until she starts to talk n request maybe lol. if she dosent request then i guess she wont be eating those for a long long time.. lol

snowbear

Hi mummies,

Isit ok to give ice-cream and cold drinks to my 1yrs old daughter ??? i got let my daughter to try a bit of ice-cream twice but i not sure isit ok anot....Btw still need to feed her cereal??? cos i will feed my daughter with cereal in the morn as breakfast or when i not cooking porridge. So when can i feed rice to my daughter as main meal???
I let alicia try ice-cream before but she finds it too cold so she rejects it.. haha.. GOOD! kekeke...

About cereal, you can continue to give cereal. Why not? You can keep it as an option for breakfast. Maybe add more textures into it by adding chopped fruits in case she gets too used to mushy food.

Alicia started taking rice at about 10 months but not a lot and i didn't give her that often anyway. But since she turned a year old or so, i started giving her rice for dinner instead of porridge coz she prefers rice to porridge.

crystal79

you can feed her rice anytime as long as she dosent gag on it. it depends alot on individula baby. my girl can take rice. you need to slowly adjust the porridge's consistency to let her get use to it (put less water into porridge). my girl more or less is taking rice . i jsut put 1:3 for rice and water... you can try letting her get use to bigger pc of veg and fruits and harder texture also..

for cereal.. you can keep feeding or stop feeding depends on you. even adults like us takes cereal sometimes? so there is no rules saying when to stop. i also give my girl cereal as her breaskfast still.. you can try giving bread also as breakfast. not everyday cereal.. bread, cookies, omelette, toast etc etc. finger food for her to self feed? has she started self feeding?

as for ice creams and cold drinks.. around 1.5yrs old should be safe though i dont see any reason to let them try those unhealthy foods... for my girl, she wont get to eat those until she starts to talk and request maybe lol. if she dosent request then i guess she wont be eating those for a long long time.. lol
Oic, i hv been giving her cereal and bread with cheese as breakfast... Can i let my daughter drink soya bean or eat the soya bean curb as breakfast??? i hv let my daughter to try self feed but she still dunno leh... but if i put bread on my palm and tel her 'mum mum'... she will use her thumb and index finger to take the bread or biscuit and put in her mouth....btw hw to train my daughter to self feed???

crystal79

I let alicia try ice-cream before but she finds it too cold so she rejects it.. haha.. GOOD! kekeke...

About cereal, you can continue to give cereal. Why not? You can keep it as an option for breakfast. Maybe add more textures into it by adding chopped fruits in case she gets too used to mushy food.

Alicia started taking rice at about 10 months but not a lot and i didn't give her that often anyway. But since she turned a year old or so, i started giving her rice for dinner instead of porridge coz she prefers rice to porridge.
Did you let her eat chicken rice ??? i got give few grains of chicken rice for my daughter when we are outside and she liked it alot and ask for more :)....btw what other dishes do you give her when you feed her rice for dinner???

annie

self feed=let her play with the food lol. i usually only give my girl finger food eg cookies or chunks of veg/fruits for her to play with them. she will also pick them up n put into her mouth. this is self feed lor. it will be sometime before they learn how to use a spoon to self feed so just be patient.

u can give her anything with rice. veg, fruits, meat etc. same as how u would cook porridge lor.

u can give her anything. just remember the 4 day wait rule. if she has never taken anything soy, then give her a little in the morning n see how's her reaction to it. wait for 4 days before introducing a new food. as long as she has no soy allergy, u can give her soy bean milk and tofu if u like.

btw, u can give her ANYTHING as long as she is not allergy to them. no such thing as cannot give since she is already so old. BUT NO HONEY( i forgot when u can give honey to bb. u can check online)

crystal79

self feed=let her play with the food lol. i usually only give my girl finger food eg cookies or chunks of veg/fruits for her to play with them. she will also pick them up and put into her mouth. this is self feed . it will be sometime before they learn how to use a spoon to self feed so just be patient.

you can give her anything with rice. veg, fruits, meat etc. same as how you would cook porridge .

you can give her anything. just remember the 4 day wait rule. if she has never taken anything soy, then give her a little in the morning and see how's her reaction to it. wait for 4 days before introducing a new food. as long as she has no soy allergy, you can give her soy bean milk and tofu if you like.

btw, you can give her ANYTHING as long as she is not allergy to them. no such thing as cannot give since she is already so old. BUT NO HONEY( i forgot when you can give honey to baby. you can check online)
Huh??? hw come cannot give honey now??? i give my daughter drink organic honey water when she is abt 11mths old... so far so good leh. :001_302:

annie

do a search online and you will know why. the website i read from says honey kill babies.

read below

Warning! Honey is not for babies!

Although honey is a natural, healthy food that normally cannot support bacterial life, it's important to note that it can carry C. botulinum spores which may be harmful to the undeveloped immune systems of infants. The old practice of dipping pacifiers into honey to soothe crying babies should be aborted.

Infants up to one year of age should not be fed raw honey, as their immune systems are not yet developed enough to fend off this normally benign strain. Infection can cause a flaccid paralysis weakening the baby's muscles, causing a "floppy" baby. Other symptoms include constipation, lethargy, poor feeding, weak cry, droopy eyelids, expressionless face, drooling or swallowing difficulty, and occasionally, respiratory arrest. By the age of one year, most children develop enough to resist this normally benign strain of botulinum.

Infant botulism is rarely lethal, but is obviously easy to avoid in this instance. Although food manufacturers make extensive use of honey in their products, baby food manufacturers, as a rule, will not include honey in their foods recommended for those babies under one year of age.

It must also be pointed out that infant botulism is not exclusive to the ingestion of honey. The botulism spore can also be found in dust, soil and other uncooked foods that older children and adults are exposed to daily. The risk is minimal. Yet, it is an avoidable risk, and honey should not be fed to infants under the age of twelve months. dont't play the odds.

CDL

Some food options for 1 year olds -

Vegetables
carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, beetroot, cauliflower, broccolli, potatoes, leafy veg (spinach, Ceylon Spinach)

Fruits
apples, pears, bananas, papayas, avocadoes (my husb feeds baby this and calls it "ice-cream"!), cheeries, plums, peaches, grapes

Cereals & Grains
rice, oats, cous cous, pasta, cornflakes (beware of sugary ones)

Protein-based food
tofu, threadfin, ikan billis (anchovies), beans

What to avoid until later
honey, eggs, nuts (may cause allergies in some babies), bread (may cause allergies in some babies), seasonings (salt, sugar)

In general expose your baby to a wide palate of food, remembering to introduce new foods only after 4 days. In time, you can include a mixture of the different colours of food in each meal (red, green, brown, yellow) and slowly progress to having your baby eat simple adult food.

snowbear

Did you let her eat chicken rice ??? i got give few grains of chicken rice for my daughter when we are outside and she liked it alot and ask for more :)....btw what other dishes do you give her when you feed her rice for dinner???
I dun give her chicken rice coz the way chicken rice is made is very unhealthy..

For veggies, so far i've given her broccoli/cauliflower/french beans/ baby corn/ sweet potato (yellow, orange, purple) to name some.

For protein, I give her cod/salmon/ chicken/ beef/ egg yolk (she still doesn't like the white)

Here's a picture of her food:

Attachments

Last edited:

annie

wow she eats like an adult! since when u gave her such big chunks of food? cos i remmeber she still has not much teeth isnt it? those veg so big she can bite them? i give jumpy only chunks of veg but then very small chunks like maybe 2cm cubes.. if not she sure choke..

snowbear

wow she eats like an adult! since when you gave her such big chunks of food? cos i remmeber she still has not much teeth isnt it? those veg so big she can bite them? i give jumpy only chunks of veg but then very small chunks like maybe 2cm cubes.. if not she sure choke..
eh... can't really rem. I think about 11 months old? She can bite very well and she chews her food. Anyway, the food I make for her is rather soft already. Before I feed her i will cut into smaller piece or just let her bite off bits directly... :D

annie

ya she bites very well! that time i see u feed her muffin i know liao hehe. so big pc go in n she didnt gag on it.. my girl cant bite as well.. im training her now by making her finger food. she can bite them off using her teeth in front but once they are inside her mouth, she will chew but then wont really chew well... sometimes takes ages n still the pc is intact! then sometimes she simply swollow them n gag on it till her face also red. i see liao so scared man...

Madako

why dont you let us know what you normally give to her first?
then we can add on to your list. :)

For now, i am only giving her porridge with ingredients such as, threadfin/ cod fish, pumpkin, spinach, sweet potatoes, yam, egg yolk etc.
Anymore that i can give?
Is chicken or pork alright to give?

Madako

I dont give her chicken rice coz the way chicken rice is made is very unhealthy..

For veggies, so far i've given her broccoli/cauliflower/french beans/ baby corn/ sweet potato (yellow, orange, purple) to name some.

For protein, I give her cod/salmon/ chicken/ beef/ egg yolk (she still doesn't like the white)

Here's a picture of her food:

Wow, very precise.
So i supposed she must have at least 8-10 teeth ba...
My gal only 5 teeth so far and dun really chew very well.

snowbear

Wow, very precise.
So i supposed she must have at least 8-10 teeth ...
My gal only 5 teeth so far and dont really chew very well.
No she doesn't! :) she only has 6 teeth.. hehe...
You can chk out my blog to see what else I feed her though I've not really updated the section on feeding beyond 1 year old.. will do that soon. :)