Food Warmer. Necessary?

november

I'm intending to breastfeed my newborn for a month. I bought a box of pigeon milk storage bags, intending to store bm in fridge for night feeds.

But i do not know how many times will my newborn need to drink every night and what timing?

So, what do all breast feeding mothers plan their feeding schedule?

Should i invest in a food warmer or just warm up in a cup of warm water?

How long will it takes if i warm up chilled bm from fridge in warm water?

Or are there any other better advise on how to prepare bm?

Thanks so much for all replies.

ger-mummy

Hi...

i suggest u monitor ur bb drinking milk time, & 1 time u can express how much milk & ur bb intake.

For my cousin, she pump 2 x 100ml each time. She feed one & keep the other bottle for later use (ard 2-3hr later) She left it in the fridge & when it abt time br out juz put in a cup of hot water to warm abt 10min.

BB on BM very easily digest, & bb also tend to be hungry at night time.

All info pass down by cousin.

I have a warmer (avent), still trying to figure out how to use... Haha...

november

Ya, because i'm 1st time mummy. Scared if baby hungry and cry at night den my stored bm still not warmed yet. My and dh will panic!

yennee76

for me, i find the warmer very useful... I feed EBM (unable to latch on), and the warmer is very useful in warming the cold BM (that I keep in the fridge), and maintain it at a steady temperature. You are not afraid that the milk will turn cold as long as the warmer is on (if you use hot water, the hot water will turn cold, and the milk will turn cold also). Sometimes, when you heat up the BM, the baby may not want to drink it then (e.g. fall asleep again), if you use hot water, then the hot water will turn cold = BM turn cold. Warmer will ensure that the milk is constantly heat up.

Another advantage that I find of the warmer is that sometimes you feed half way and the baby stop drinking for some reason (e.g. poo poo). You can put the balance BM in the warmer, and then feed him/her again when she's ready (of course not too long later lah)

Just my 2-cents. ^_^

Jo'an

Can I know how long does the warmer takes to warm up chilled breastmilk? And I'm considering between Pigeon or Avent food warmer. Any review about these 2 food warmer?

CDL

I have been using the Avent bottle warmer for the last 4 mths to feed my baby. Initially I used the bottle in cup of warm water method, but it used to take time and after waiting for the milk to warm up, it was at times, too hot or not hot enough!.

With the bottle warmer, you indicate whether the bottle is at room temp, from fridge or from freezer. Then you indicate the amount to be warmed up and the machine does the work for you. Later on, you can warm up baby's semi-solids too.

The time it takes to warm up is dependant on how cold the milk is and how much milk is to be warmed - usually just a few minutesduring which I change baby's diaper or entertain her by walking around or distracting her.

Avent also fits the wide-mouth bottles like Dr Browns and Tommee Tippee. Hope this helps you decide.

apollo

i'm pretty curious how do ur warm up BM in storage pack instead of bottles??

put the whole storage pack into to warmer?? or pour out the BM into the milk bottle den put into the warmer?? what if it's frozen?? also hav to pour into bottle first??

btw, if i'm getting pigeon warmer, can avent bottles fit into it? or must i get a avent one?

thks =)

november

So Avent warmer not only for Avent bottles! Good..i bought Tomme Tippee bottles. But Tommee Tippee also sell warmer.

Which is better? Any comparison comments?

CDL

"how do ur warm up BM in storage pack instead of bottles??"

Avent warmer works by boiling a small amount of water in the warmer and it is the steam from the water that heats up teh milk. So, I would imagine that putting the milk bags directly into the warmer would affect both the milk bags (made of plastic?) as well as the milk in them.

Would suggest that the milk be tranferred to bottles before being warmed up -since you need the milk to be in a bottle to feed anyway.

apollo

"how do ur warm up BM in storage pack instead of bottles??"

Avent warmer works by boiling a small amount of water in the warmer and it is the steam from the water that heats up teh milk. So, I would imagine that putting the milk bags directly into the warmer would affect both the milk bags (made of plastic?) as well as the milk in them.

Would suggest that the milk be tranferred to bottles before being warmed up -since you need the milk to be in a bottle to feed anyway.
oh okay.. got wat u meant.. anw, hw much did u bought for ur avent warmer??

CDL

"oh okay.. got wat u meant.. anw, hw much did u bought for ur avent warmer??"

Got it as a gift but check out the usual places - kiddy palace, best denki, harvey norman. Prices should be about the same.

Enjoy your pregnancy and your bundle of joy

snowbear

I'm intending to breastfeed my newborn for a month. I bought a box of pigeon milk storage bags, intending to store bm in fridge for night feeds.

But i do not know how many times will my newborn need to drink every night and what timing?

So, what do all breast feeding mothers plan their feeding schedule?

Should i invest in a food warmer or just warm up in a cup of warm water?

How long will it takes if i warm up chilled bm from fridge in warm water?

Or are there any other better advise on how to prepare bm?

Thanks so much for all replies.

You can't really plan how often your bb will drink at nite. Usually bb will drink BM every 2-3 hours coz it's easily digested. I have the Pigeon food warmer and it's really easy to use: just plug it in, fill it up with some water, dump the milk bottle/bag in and wait for about 15min for the milk to warm up (if milk was in the fridge; will be slightly longer if it was in the freezer). When the baby grows older, you can use it to warm up food too. :Dancing_wub: