Frozen EBM smell like vomit!!!

sharonyi66

Hi
I seldom come in here but since I saw this I thought I would share some info.

Below is a link on kellymom.com about this particular topic.

kellymom.com :: My expressed breastmilk doesn't smell fresh. What can I do?

hope after reading this you will have a better idea about why the EBM is like this.

one way to treat it (if you have time) is to scald the milk before freezing it. It is said to help to reduce the breaking down of the fat by the lipase in our breast milk.

HTHs.
This is a great info...

I appreciated it so much.

Thank you :)

nellu

Huh? i ziplock it and put at the freezer door. What would eventually happen to the breast milk that froze n kept in the freezer door there?
if you want to freeze EBM you CANNOT put at the freezer door. you have to put it deep into the freezer compartment.

danadls

I know you posted this a while ago, but I may have the answer for others experiencing this problem. Sometimes, women have extra lipase in their milk called lipase. Among other things, lipase helps the baby to digest the milk. If women have extra lipase in their milk, it becomes evident after thawing frozen milk because the milk smells horrible. The solution is to scald the milk before freezing (not boil the milk, but to flash scald it). Here is a link to help you understand.

Lipases in Breast Milk

eurostar

anyway if BM is put in freezer /normal compartment, it will nvr taste the same as latch-on or fresh BM
I was taught to warm it up (off fire just before it boil) to get rid if aLL odour....so far so good