Gestational Diabetes

jojoki

Hi! Any MTB having GD? I'm diabetic and sooo sian... bcos everything also cant eat and constantly hungry.. sigh! Any food to recommend that can reduce sugar level in blood? and can eat A LOT??

mmy_lizz

if u really crave for sweet things.. u subs yr sugar to artificial sugar.. u know like EQUAL..

i had GD wit my 1st one.. lucky it was only diet control.. cos i ate too much choc n drank yakult.. so u know wat u need to dont eat..

u can eat a lot but u know all tis 'tasty2' things cut down.. all e best.. need to take care cos baby in u she will get bigger than other kids u know..

jojoki

thing is i DONT crave sweet stuffs at all... but i crave for rice... and stuffs like tom yam, etc but now i'm not even allowed a proper meal with substantial amount. I cant even take 8 oz of skim milk cos after that my sugar level can go up to 8++ only even 1 cup. I'm currently on insulin jab every evening and blood test like 6 x a day. my bb is actually quite small at this stage... my frens bb at 18 weeks weigh 300gm mine at 20wks 2 days was 314gm.

vonn81

Hi Jojoki,

I had GD when i'm pregnant too. I went for the test when i was coming to 30 weeks. Luckily is diet control, but went for the stupid 1 day course at KKH. So hungry that day. Cost 300 leh thou can deduct fr medisave lah.
I grave for sweet stuff thats why.Drank alot of ribena. Ya Rice are very high in cab so better not eat too much. mayb u can switch to beehoon sometimes? Noodle also cannot ok. drink more water. s u r on insulin so better watch out diet. My dietitian says the only thing u can eat alot is Vege!!! But not those stir fry with alot of oil and very strong ingredient ones lah. Just normal stir frying. Even fruits also cannot eat too much. Esp bananas and grapes.

Weight of the bb i think not much of a worry bah, cos usually that the doc is afraid is that the bb mayb too big due to our GD, then will not be able to have a natural delivery. My DD birth weight was only 2.73kg. Doc say was fine and so easy to push her out. :)

jojoki

actually me is not GD my gynae say i'm probably a diabetic even b4 preggy.. just that i din noe cos never check. my gynae say my sugar reading is HAVOC woh.. and said she cannot stress enough how important issit that i watch my diet. So i totally cut out white rice, mee hoon, kway teow, la mien, ban mien, etc etc white bread also neva eat. Even artificial sugar like equal which contains aspartame i dun take at all. cos heard aspartame is vv bad for babies. and most sugar free or non added sugar stuffs contains that. i only drink water n occasionally green tea. eat also super sian... whole grain bread fr bfst lunch dinner. sometimes add boiled meat!! i dunnno how long i can tahan before i go berserk and eat everything i see... lol!

vonn81

oh poor thing leh... aiyo better check what other things u can eat, cos bb needs nutrients fr u too. If u everyday eat same thing also not gd right. My pa has diabetes, high also but still can use medi to control but highest dosage le. He also eat rice, but at moderate lah. he nv control much diet also. just every 3 mths go polyclinic checkup. For u cos u preggy mah, so must take extra care.but not so poor thing la just eat whole grain bread right. Ask ur doc to recommend u a dietitian?
If any mummy has GD, the chances of having it in next pregnncy or stage 2 diabetes. so i also scare scare.somemore my pa has it.

jojoki

dietician gave me a list of wat to eat and when to eat but after i followed my glucose level went very high . so i stopped following lor.. n now back to my own diet. i also worried bb not enough nutrients but boh pian lar is glucose level too high can cos stillbirth. actually i dun think my diabetes very serious.. my endocrinologist said bcos i preggy thts y cannot rake medicine orally cos bb will also eat if i take. thats y jab insulin. if only ur dad has diabetes ur chances of gettin is much lower lar... esp if u exercise a lot even harded fr u to get diabetes. fr my case both my parents boths side both grandparents have.. thts y confirm get one.. but i got at early age cos i'm lazy type. never exercise!

ahfat79

any mtb also on insulin?
Me 34 wks now on insulin since the day one i saw my gynae(1st appointment). she slowly increased the dosage.It is really tough since i like to eat and now need to go thru this strict diet.Very tough!!!

Me dont wanna history to repeat itself as i lost (1st)my son due to diabetes.Me now constantly monitor my bb heartbeat as with this condition prone to stillbirth so pls be careful.

Hi there,

I'm a first-time MTB who's on daily insulin shots.

Currently in my 29th week, I was diagnosed with GD in early Dec last year. Initially I didn't handle the diagnosis well and was depressed for a while, especially after knowing I have to be on daily insulin shots until delivery. I was also very concerned about the impact of GD on baby - large size, low blood sugar level after birth, etc.

Luckily my husband has been supportive and eventually I got used to the weekly blood tests (using lancets and test strips) and daily insulin shots.

Coping with GD on a daily basis can be quite a b*tch sometimes - especially on days when I crave for my favourite dark chocolate cake. On days like that, I'll focus on giving baby the best start in life. Looking at baby's ultrasound printouts helps to give me strength and confidence to cope with GD.

does the kkh one day course really help?

i was at work when nurse from KKH called me...she said something about above normal reading... and i dont remember the number she quoted. so she said that it is rather urgent that i attend the one day course. to learn how to take care of myself.

but i was really too tired and bz at work to settle and think properly.

and now thinking back, the more frustrated i become. are they trying to "SCARE" me into taking the course?

i really dont know what happened.

cos i have been feeling very healthy and happy.

and sometimes i think all these medical advice is just too overwhelming. i just want to wait for my next appointment with my gynae and clarify things.

sigh.

any mommies with experience to share?

jojoki

does the kkh one day course really help?

i was at work when nurse from KKH called me...she said something about above normal reading... and i dont remember the number she quoted. so she said that it is rather urgent that i attend the one day course. to learn how to take care of myself.

but i was really too tired and bz at work to settle and think properly.

and now thinking back, the more frustrated i become. are they trying to "SCARE" me into taking the course?

i really dont know what happened.

cos i have been feeling very healthy and happy.

and sometimes i think all these medical advice is just too overwhelming. i just want to wait for my next appointment with my gynae and clarify things.

sigh.

any mommies with experience to share?
how many weeks pregnant are u? if ur parents are diabetic i strongly advise u to do a GTT test. My gynae told me i dun need to do a GTT until i'm 24 weeks but thank the good Lord my gynae from Ipoh insisted I went to do at 8 weeks pregnancy and found out I was indeed diabetic and very jialat one. From then on i had been seeing a endocrinologist..

Diabetes for pregnant woman is very VERY serious I cannot stress enough. Dont ignore and don't take any chances... do go and check and follow their advise stringently.

All the best... hope u r diabetes-free!!

I attended the one-day course at KKH's ODAC. Found the course informative and helpful. There, I learnt how to monitor my blood sugar level on a daily basis, the right diet, how to inject insulin, etc. The nurses and dietician/s there are helpful and approachable. You may also have the chance to meet up other moms-to-be with similar conditions and share your experiences with one another.

Agree with jojoki that (gestational) diabetes is a serious matter as it will affect your baby's health. Wouldn't you want the best for your baby and your own health? Go for the one-day course, if you've been advised to do so. It only takes a day and about $300 (you can use medisave to pay for this).

jojoki

wow the course cost $300?? i went to see a diabetic nurse,,, for $25 at Raffles Hospital n she taught me how to inject insulin, check blood, wat to eat, etc etc... but dun get to meet with other mummies lar.... but yes, do go for it, its important for yourself n bb.

Oh yes, it costs about $300, deductable from your Medisave account. If I didn't recall wrongly, the cost covers the rental of the blood sugar monitoring system (have to return to the hospital within a week after birth of baby), 3 meals, all lancets and test strips required to measure your blood sugar during the course, sessions with the dietician, course materials, etc.

jojoki

oh then its worth it then... cos i was made to buy my own blood test kit. and the test strips costs a bomb.. $75 per bottle of 50 strips.. buy 3 box i think around $149?? but i manage to buy from msia at $38 per box of 50..

DanikasMom

i also have been diagnosed with GD. one month now with following diet. have lost weight too with it. im on my 32 wk. i didnt have GD during my first pregnancy. my HAC1 reading is 5.5 since past 3 months so GD only came about recently. on daily insulin shots (4 units novorapid) since last week. i still cant get a normal reading. next doc appointment will still be on feb 2 which i think is too far away. so i think ill go and visit him this week. want to know if i need to increase my insulin shots.

it is very frustrating! may i know your readings? my pre meal usually 100+ and post meal from 126-201.