Going bonkers!

meiteoh

It's been three days since I've had any time to breath - need some advise/insight.

Since Sunday, Eva has been very grouchy, whiny and just overall babbly. Usually she would take one nap in the morning, and two in the afternoon (morning is on her playmat, afternoon is in the crib and swing).

But on Monday, when I tried to put her on her playmat, she would babble, whine and then flip over on her tummy and start bawling. The only thing that would soothe her is me carrying her so we went out somewhere - I dunno - but she managed to fall asleep while we were out. Then she takes her usual nap in the crib but instead of sleeping for three hours, she drops it to two hours and will wake up crying. After that, she would babble, whine and cry if I put her in her swing. Again, carrying her or playing with her calms her down but even then, after a while, she'd start whining. ARGH.

My friend told me that she could be teething so I tried putting some teething gel and that helped her sleep.

This was Monday. Tuesday was the same!!!!

And today was even worse. I ended up being on my feet from 7am all the way till 8pm. She didn't want to nap at all and refused to be put down on the playgym alone. I had to go out of the house from 10 till 1230 pm and then again at 530pm to 8pm. On top of that, I'm still nursing a cold/flu and it's hard to get better when I'm just sleeping about 4-5 hours a day. I can't even nap during the day! And I've got my aunty visiting today (if you know what I mean) so I'm tired as hell. =.=

When I woke up this morning, I was just absolutely dreading spending time with her. I'm at my wits end. Today was just crappy...I'm really wondering what's wrong with her because she's never like this and my hubby also told me that when he goes to pick her up for her 530am feeds, she's wide awake (but playing or doing something).

Is she teething? (I don't see anything on the gums when I check though...)

apollo

i think is teething cos whenever ds is teething, he behaves exactly lik Eva... keep want us to carry him, leave him alone for seconds also cannot... teething does not mean u will see the white thing.. sometimes u dont see it these few days but aft the fussiness period is over, u will see the white dot alrdy.. =)

camom

Hi Mabel

Are her gums swollen? Mine didn't have the white spots or feel pokey till quite late. He was fussing exactly the same way as Eva is. Is still the same cos his molars are coming.

meiteoh

Pengsan la...

Oh, forgot to mention that her body is warmer than usual but she's not feverish. During the day, she can hit a temp of 37° but before, her body temp was just 36°. The teething gel also stopped working. :/

Now she's up earlier than usual. Hai, talk about having two fuss-pots in the house (me and her).

apollo, how long was your boy like this for?

Last edited:

diymummy

Hi meiteoh,

My son's the same when he's teething. He's fussier than usual. We didn't see any white spots on his gums till quite late too. So the pattern was fussy for up to a mth, then we saw a white dot on his gum. During that month he was slightly warmer and he had more drool than ever.

Also when my son passed 6 mths, he slept less. He used to sleep as much as Eva but by the time he was 7 mths, he was only taking 2 naps a day. Now, at 13mths, he still takes 2 naps, but can soon easily just drop down to 1 nap a day.

Does Eva sleep through the night? If she does, try to go to bed earlier. Leave the hubs to warm up his own dinner so that you can get enough rest.

Take care hun.

Hi Meiteoh

My younger twin is just like your gal when comes to teething... he will be cranky and will not sleep well.... esp when he has two teeth coming out at the same time, super cranky and body also warmer than usual.

The elder twin is usual only when come to teething.... just that his body is warmer

Now my twins at 10 mths, each have 2 teeth on top and 2 teeth at bottom.... now the younger twin is experiencing the same pattern coz 2 more coming out from the top... :Dancing_wub:..means me and the maid will take turn to "sayang" him when he becomes cranky..

apollo

Pengsan ...

Oh, forgot to mention that her body is warmer than usual but she's not feverish. During the day, she can hit a temp of 37° but before, her body temp was just 36°. The teething gel also stopped working. :/

Now she's up earlier than usual. Hai, talk about having two fuss-pots in the house (me and her).

apollo, how long was your boy like this for?
oh ya, their body will become v warm when they r teething! some might have fever. ds so far no fever (touchwood) but body will become v warm..

for each teething 'session' i think will last from 3days - 1weeks (those super fussy period) depends on which teeth coming out.. i think ds fuss the most serious one was when his 1st tooth was coming out. he will even use his finger to poke his gum until it bleeds.

btw does Eva keep drooling and bite her finger/hand vigorously??

meiteoh

Apollo, yeah, she has been "munching" on her fingers quite regularly and when she gnaws on the teether, there is a lot of drool (plus she drools when she plays sitting up as well) but no diarrhoea though.

diymummy, I try to nap when she takes her afternoon naps but I'm so on the edge that I end up waking up a few times in the two hours because I thought I heard her crying. T.T

Hai, looks like I'm going to be really on the edge...already sometimes I really cannot take it and burst out crying as well. :/ I guess having my period going on this time isn't help either. :(

diymummy

diymummy, I try to nap when she takes her afternoon naps but I'm so on the edge that I end up waking up a few times in the two hours because I thought I heard her crying. T.T
*Hugs*

This happens to me too. As in I wake myself up or spring out of bed because I thought I heard Ethan cry.

Are you able to get help? Can your hubby take a few days leave?

Btw, teething gel cannot be used more than 6 times a day. And each application only lasts abt 20min. It's actually a L.A.

apollo

Apollo, yeah, she has been "munching" on her fingers quite regularly and when she gnaws on the teether, there is a lot of drool (plus she drools when she plays sitting up as well) but no diarrhoea though.

Hai, looks like I'm going to be really on the edge...already sometimes I really cannot take it and burst out crying as well. :/ I guess having my period going on this time isn't help either. :(
babe, hang on! when ds had his 1st teething time, the whole family dont noe what he wants. he even rejected his favourtie sarong. but aft tt, things got better, even now he is teething, we noe hw to handle him alrdy.. =)

*Hugs*

This happens to me too. As in I wake myself up or spring out of bed because I thought I heard Ethan cry.

Are you able to get help? Can your hubby take a few days leave?

Btw, teething gel cannot be used more than 6 times a day. And each application only lasts about 20min. It's actually a L.A.
my pd actually told me to give every 6 hrs, which means 3x per day... i just follow pd's instructioninstead of what stated on the box.. =D

meiteoh

Dunno if hubby can take leave - I'm really hoping for the weekend to come!

Yeah, I don't quite like to use the teething gel that often; only as a last resort coz I read the ingredients list and didn't like what I saw - didn't know it was actually an L.A. Anyway, I prefer to give her a teething ring or her sippy cup to gnaw on but she likes gnawing on my fingers though. :/

diymummy

dont know if hubby can take leave - I'm really hoping for the weekend to come!

Yeah, I dont't quite like to use the teething gel that often; only as a last resort coz I read the ingredients list and didn't like what I saw - didn't know it was actually an L.A. Anyway, I prefer to give her a teething ring or her sippy cup to gnaw on but she likes gnawing on my fingers though. :/
Weekend will come soon! Hang in there!

This phase will get better. Once the teeth breaks through the gums, it will be better. She might also start to get accustomed to the pain. It's bad because it's her first tooth.

My boy's first tooth was bad. But after that I think he "recognises" the pain and is less cranky. When it gets too painful he will act up too...

Order some comfort food. Over the weekend, go out for 2 or 3 hrs and leave Eva to the hubs.

camom

Have you tried the frozen teether? Does it help? My grouse is teethers are always made in a shape that can't fit comfortably in the bb's mouth :nah:

sugarcookie

meiteoh,

Sounds like your baby is really teething.

When my girl was going through this period, she would keep chewing on her fingers and her clothes as well. She would also reject milk.

It was really trying as all she wanted was to be carried all day.

However, if Eva's temp rises beyond 38.3C, she may have caught a virus.

If it doesn't, you could attribute it to teething.

Hang in there ok? This awful period will pass after a max of one week.

meiteoh

Thanks mummies! The hubs did ask me to go somewhere alone for a few hours during the weekend like catch a movie or something, while he take care of Eva. So I might take him up on it, but right now I just want to zzzzz. T.T

I bought some McD (screw my diet!) since I was feeling crappy on the way back from our outing - she was whining AGAIN so we head to Bugis Junction where she felt asleep the moment I stepped into Kino. Woke up one hour later only to whine and cry while we were in the MRT and bus. =.=

Then I managed to catch some zzzz but just as I was dozing off (period cramps are awfully annoying and this time is the first that they are awfully bad), I dreamt that I got a letter stating that my hubby died. BAH.

Camom
, no leh, so far, I've been offering her teethers at room temp. Will chuck it in the fridge/freezer now and see what happens. :)

Sugar, this one so far hasn't rejected food. In fact, she seems to want to nurse longer and eat more! :/ Thanks for the tip - will keep an eye out on the temp.

Domique

wow twins... one alaric rascal is enough when he fuss i cannot imagine 2...

u are the gal Catherine....

Hi Meiteoh

My younger twin is just like your gal when comes to teething... he will be cranky and will not sleep well.... esp when he has two teeth coming out at the same time, super cranky and body also warmer than usual.

The elder twin is usual only when come to teething.... just that his body is warmer

Now my twins at 10 mths, each have 2 teeth on top and 2 teeth at bottom.... now the younger twin is experiencing the same pattern coz 2 more coming out from the top... :Dancing_wub:..means me and the maid will take turn to "sayang" him when he becomes cranky..

Hi Dom

I am a working mom, i send my boys to the babysitter during daytime, so taking care of them every evening and weekend only.... so far so good. Hubby been supportive too plus have a pretty good maid.

mandymtb

my dd aso somewhat the same.... nap frequency reduced, and shorter period as well... tired but duno wan to sleep, put her down she will cry and whine, milk intake decreased, body feels much warmer than usual as well... BUT the only thing different is, she didnt drool, and this has been going on for about 3 wks with no visible appearance of any white dot!

so is she teething as well??

diymummy

Usually the first sign of teething is a lot of saliva/drool.

When my son was your girl's age (7 mths) his nap time reduced a lot as well. It's a growing up phase. As he gets older, he sleeps less and gets cranky when we try to make him nap when he's not tired.