Green veggies for 6mth old

Mummy to Baby V

Re: vitamin in veg/ non-health residue

For info on nitrates in vegetables, refer to Nitrates, Carrots, and Homemade Baby Food - Nitrates and Making Homemade Baby Food Carrots, Spinach and More

My boy started semi-solids at 6.5 months; we try to buy only organic produce for his meals.
- vegetables tried: broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, Xiao bai Cai, sweet potato leaves, Cai xin, spinach
- organic carrots introduced at about 8+ months
- same preparation method every day for vegetables:
cut into small shreds, put in electric steamer for 20min, mash and mix into rice cereal
- going to start porridge soon; reason for starting porridge late (abt 9+mths) is because nurse suggested using vegetable stock to cook porridge. Therefore, we aimed to clear most of the family veges off allergy test then cook porridge.
- vegetable stock can made in a large amount, frozen then thawed to cook with rice
- electric smart cooker takes about 45min to cook porridge, can preset timing for convenience, then keep warm till serving time

Cheers,
Mummy to Baby V
Mummy's Reviews

Last edited:

cmeilim

Re: vitamin in veg/ non-health residue

thanks to all mummies here! we've been feeding our baby carrots and spinach, and broccoli once too,with porridge. if it was carrots in baby cereal, I will steam and puree before adding to cereal. if it's porridge, we've been adding them to the porridge and cooking both at the same time. didn't know abt nitrates and that it's bad for babies to eat them!! my hubby was also cooking spinach without removing stem a couple of times until i intervened!

really a lot to learn from the more experienced and better-read mummies here!