Growth spurt causes baby to be hungry all the time??

hi mommies, my baby might be going thru growth spurt.. he seems hungry all the time and more fussy too for the past 2 days. he wanted to be fed every 1-1.5hour. i feel so so tired and yet he's still making noise. but last night hubby gave him formula after i breastfed him and finally after the whole day he slept for 4hours.

is this normal?? growth spurt usually last how many days on average?? and when does it occur during the 1st year??

thanks.

diymummy

Hi honeylicious,

Yes, during growth spurts your baby seems to be always hungry. Usually last a few days up to a week.

Growth spurts usually takes place around 7-10 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 mths, 4 mths, 6 mths and 9 mths.

After the 3rd-4th mth growth spurt, the remaining spurts are not as obvious as the initial phases.

newbie2009

Hi honeylicious,

Yes, during growth spurts your baby seems to be always hungry. Usually last a few days up to a week.

Growth spurts usually takes place around 7-10 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 mths, 4 mths, 6 mths and 9 mths.

After the 3rd-4th month growth spurt, the remaining spurts are not as obvious as the initial phases.
Does growth spurt also make the baby more fussy and grouchy? apparently he will want to be carried more often lately.

diymummy

When they're hungry and not fed, they'll be fussy and grouchy?? My baby was fussy and grouchy but it was coz he's hungry... Very tiring for mummy.

It could be he's gassy that's why he's grouchy? Did you try to see if his tummy is bloated? It could also be that they're more aware of their surroudings and demand for attention. How old's your baby newbie?

thanks diymummy for the reply..

newbie mummy, yes my boy is grouchy and fussy.. even during feeding he will suckle 10min, make some noise, suckle 10min again, make noise again..

hi diymum n honeylicious

My baby's starting to fuss alot after full feeds n often hv difficulty sleeping without sucking. N my supply seems to be coming down. I'm starting to get worried. Wonder if it's cos of growth spurt?

Mummy to Baby V

During growth spurt, baby's appetite has a permanent increase, so breastfeeding mums need to breastfeed on demand to increase the milk suppl. Supplementing with formula may lead to insufficient increase in milk supply. Don't supplement unless you are ready to supplement permanently.

During growth spurts, my boy was hungry and fussy and kept wanting to nurse, so I let him be. His record was sucking for almost 1.5 hours; my friend's gal was on the breast for 3hours once!!! Though the few days are tiring, hang on and rest as much as possible. After 3-7 days, baby will be contented with the raised milk supply.

Cheers,
Mummy to Baby V
Win a modern cloth diaper worth $30 at my blog's Giveaway, Mummy's Reviews

diymummy

Hi mummysketches,

Yes, I agree with Mummy_to_baby_V. During growth spurts your baby will nurse more and due to the increased demand, your body will produce more milk for your baby. After the growth spurt your baby's appetite will be permanently raised.

If you are certain that your baby is full, it might not be a growth spurt. If your baby is constantly hungry and you do not latch your baby and use FM instead, your breasts will not be able to increase in supply of milk.

Are you willing to use a pacifier? If your baby is not hungry and wants to suckle to sleep, a pacifier is a good alternative. If you're unwilling to nurse, you'd have to teach your baby not to fall asleep at your breasts. That's what I did. I would not allow my baby to nurse just before nap time or bed time. Usually I will feed when he just wakes from a nap, rather than just before he's scheduled to go to bed.

HTH.

newbie2009

When they're hungry and not fed, they'll be fussy and grouchy?? My baby was fussy and grouchy but it was coz he's hungry... Very tiring for mummy.

It could be he's gassy that's why he's grouchy? Did you try to see if his tummy is bloated? It could also be that they're more aware of their surroudings and demand for attention. How old's your baby newbie?
how do u know his tummy is bloated? if bloated how? burp?

my baby is 3 months old le. how are yours?

diymummy

Hi newbie,

When baby's tummy is bloated, it looks big and feels hard. They'll need to get the extra air out either by burping or farting. I feed my baby colic drops from the PD to help my baby burp better.

Constipation can also cause bloatedness.

My baby is almost 1 year old already. :) When he was 3 mths old he also had problems burping and farting. This only improved when he was 6 mths when we started solids.

newbie2009

Hi newbie,

When baby's tummy is bloated, it looks big and feels hard. They'll need to get the extra air out either by burping or farting. I feed my baby colic drops from the pediatrician to help my baby burp better.

Constipation can also cause bloatedness.

My baby is almost 1 year old already. :) When he was 3 mths old he also had problems burping and farting. This only improved when he was 6 mths when we started solids.
oic. so far my baby's tummy looks rounded at times, mayb gassy, but not rock hard yet.

speaking of solid feed. what do u normal feed him with?

diymummy

Hi Newbie,

Cereal is cereal. Puree is usually fruits or vege that has been cooked and blended. Puree means paste. So the cooked vege and fruits are blended until they become a paste so that baby can swallow it.

After starting solids, it is still important to let them drink milk. Milk is still the main source of protein and nutrients for them until at least the age of 1. Babies under 1 and taking solids should still be taking 600-800ml of milk a day.

Mummy to Baby V

My boy was very gassy in the early months. His tummy and back sounded hollow when patted, result of the gas inside. Tummy and back massage helped him to pass gas and burp easily.

Cheers,
Mummy to Baby V
Mummy's Reviews

woofy55

i think that's what happened to my 19days old baby now. he is constantly hungry - but it happen more at night - on his 10th day, due to pressure from parents and inlaws we started him on forumla and if he's still looking for food, then i latch him on. I know it is very wrong. he seems to be nursing more for comfort now. :(

I tried to put him back into total breast feeding ytd and situation seems better and he's calmer. However as i didn't pump for the past 9days when giving formula, my milk supply either was stagnant or has decreased. Day time - as he sleeps 3hrs in between, my body seems to have enuff time to replenish the milk supply. But comes at night - cos he's like constantly on my breast, my supply wear off and i top up with formula before he dozes off.

How do I correct him back from nursing for comfort? Sometimes, after feed, he dozes off smiling. Then after I burp him, he wants to be on my breast again then doze off within 1min. :embarrassed: ... i'm certain he's treating me as a pacifier liao. And when i give him a real pacifier, he just suck suck then drop.. then cry... haiz.... how...

oh btw.. how long shd baby suckle? my baby is on my breast for abt 1/2hr to 45mins each breasts. NOrmal? Or my flow is too slow, so take longer to suckle? in the hospital, nurse always tell me to feed 15mins each, but he doesn't seems to be satisfied. :( so, i shd 15mins, 15mins switch left, right left right?

During growth spurt, baby's appetite has a permanent increase, so breastfeeding mums need to breastfeed on demand to increase the milk suppl. Supplementing with formula may lead to insufficient increase in milk supply. dont't supplement unless you are ready to supplement permanently.

During growth spurts, my boy was hungry and fussy and kept wanting to nurse, so I let him be. His record was sucking for almost 1.5 hours; my friend's gal was on the breast for 3hours once!!! Though the few days are tiring, hang on and rest as much as possible. After 3-7 days, baby will be contented with the raised milk supply.

Cheers,
Mummy to Baby very
Win a modern cloth diaper worth $30 at my blog's Giveaway, Mummy's Reviews

Last edited:

catherlyn

my baby ger also seen to b feeding hungry recently. E.g. today 11am after her feed(i gv her EBM) she woke up at 1 plus looking for milk. so i gv her another bt of 80ml EBM she finished 60ml, after burp she finish another 10ml. then less than 30mins she is crying for milk again. this time i gv her 60ml FM n she finished all... currently m pumping out cos she still cant latch... haiz... pumping abt 5 times a day ranging from 60ml to 80ml per pump. nipples still recovering from blisters.

one more thing ytd nite she slept through her feed(from 12 to 5). i forced her to wake up n she only manage to finish 30ml and after than from 5am slept all the way till 8 n woke up looking for milk. is this normal?

woofy55

my baby ger also seen to b feeding hungry recently. E.g. today 11am after her feed(i gv her EBM) she woke up at 1 plus looking for milk. so i gv her another bt of 80ml EBM she finished 60ml, after burp she finish another 10ml. then less than 30mins she is crying for milk again. this time i gv her 60ml FM n she finished all... currently m pumping out cos she still cant latch... sigh... pumping about 5 times a day ranging from 60ml to 80ml per pump. nipples still recovering from blisters.

one more thing ytd nite she slept through her feed(from 12 to 5). i forced her to wake up n she only manage to finish 30ml and after than from 5am slept all the way till 8 n woke up looking for milk. is this normal?
wow.. i'm so envious that your gal slept thru her feed. That's something me and hubby are deprived of.. zzzzZZZzzz my baby woke up for feed abt 8+pm and will stay awake till around 2-3am... and constantly searching for my breasts. haiz..

catherlyn

wow.. i'm so envious that your gal slept thru her feed. That's something me and hubby are deprived of.. zzzzZZZzzz my baby woke up for feed about 8+pm and will stay awake till around 2-3am... and constantly searching for my breasts. sigh..
o_O but is it gd for her to skip?? i did tried waking her up n feed but only manage 30ml. was so worried cos the past few days she will wake up like every hr n wanna b fed.