Guilty abt stopping breast feeding after 6mths

Stan

I dont hv a lot of breast milk to start with.
While on Maternity leave, i get abt 80-100ml each pump...
Back to work 1 mth ago, supply went slowly from 60ml down to 30ml per pumping session. so nw i just collect 4 sessions of 30ml to hv 120ml (enough for 1 feed).... Feel so upset...
I am thinking of stopping bf at 6mth but each time i think abt it i feel so guilty abt it...cos i know some bm is better than none..... But amt is getting lesser and lesser... Hai....
any mummy can share ur thoughts?

PinkDiamonds

There is no need to feel guilty about it. The more you stress, the more your supply will be affected. Even if it's 5ml of BM left, it is still precious and don't give up until the last drop!

I also felt very guilty that my supply was diminishing, thinking that I'm so lousy. I'm a SAHM yet I cannot bring back my supply. I pumped very frequently, almost every 2 hours, hoping to boost my supply. But end up still didn't work out and baby didn't want to latch on properly. So in the end I gave it up.

Now having 2nd baby, hoping that I can BF my elder again, and hopefully can BF the youngest until at least 1 yr old!

Last edited:
My supply is also quite average, around 50-100ml each pump..

My tits are also painful from the baby's biting, and the breast pads irritate my sensitive breast skin...sighhh

Does not look like I will be able to stick to my 6 months bf plan..Also feel somewhat guilty about it.

camom

Stan Mommy, *pat pat* :sayangbaby:

dont't feel guilty, you've already given your baby the best start in life with the 6 mths of bf.

diymummy

Hi Stan mummy, don't feel so upset.. I also have not a lot of milk and when I went back to work, supply also dropped. Also due to tiredness I was ill frequently and had to be on antibiotics which means I had to pump and throw away the milk

Agree with the rest that you've given your baby the best in the first 6 mths which is the recommended period to breastfeed. And also that every drop counts even if it's just 10ml.

I gave up at 7 mths because it was really taking a toll on my body. I found myself so stressed up with breastfeeding and having a shorter fuse due to tiredness. Your child is impt but you are too. You need to be strong and healthy for her. :)

Stan

Hi Stan mummy, dont't feel so upset.. I also have not a lot of milk and when I went back to work, supply also dropped. Also due to tiredness I was ill frequently and had to be on antibiotics which means I had to pump and throw away the milk

Agree with the rest that you've given your baby the best in the first 6 mths which is the recommended period to breastfeed. And also that every drop counts even if it's just 10ml.

I gave up at 7 mths because it was really taking a toll on my body. I found myself so stressed up with breastfeeding and having a shorter fuse due to tiredness. Your child is impt but you are too. You need to be strong and healthy for her. :)
Wow... throw away...even more heart pain...
Yes...now is collecting the precious liquid bit by bit... haha... more precious than gold! :001_302:
I have frens who also very short fused with their hubbies till the hubbies told them to stop and give total FM.. I am still ok...not short fused YET... just that supply dwindling...
Am going to tong till 6mths is completed.. then it will be a day by day target... I hope i dont feel so guilty by then... prob a stage we hv to go through...

diymummy

Hehehe... Yeah it's definitely a stage to go through. I missed the times when my son latch on to me. But after that, seeing his other development like sitting or crawling, I forget abt the times he latch on already. Haha. You'll have new memories along the way. Just do the best you can now :)

One thing abt stopping breastfeeding was that my son fell ill more often... So I put him on multi-vits. Then he didn't fall sick so frequently...

diymummy

Hi Stan,

I'm giving him Appeton Infant drops... It's liquid form. I mix it into his cereal.

My PD gave me another one... Called Medvite or something like that. I've not started using that one first. Wanted to finish the Appeton drops first.

Oppsgal

Nothing to feel guilty about. I also stopped bf when my baby is 6 mths. My baby refused to latch on when around 4.5mths old.

Mummy to Baby V

As long as you are doing your best as a Mummy, be contented and not stressed. Baby can feel it when Mummy is stressed up and the stress can affect him.

If it is still possible to latch baby on regularly outside work hours, do that because it is the best way for milk stimulation.

Expressing during work is tough for some, work stress and lack of sleep also affect milk supply.

woofy55

If you think u will miss latching yr bb on, why not take some videos for remembrance? I've some videos taken while bf-ing louis and i love watching them over and over again - where his head is so small until now bigger head and fatter cheeks. hee... :)

Stan

If you think you will miss latching yr baby on, why not take some videos for remembrance? I've some videos taken while bf-ing louis and i love watching them over and over again - where his head is so small until now bigger head and fatter cheeks. hee... :)
hoho...louis very cute lahh..no wonder u say strangers wanna take photos is it?? !!:001_302:

jean1986

I was adamant abt bf-ing my bb as long as I can, but now only 2wks + and i'm already so tired of latching my bb. as my supply has dipped so I latch him on all the time now.

i'm thinking of giving bb fm n also partial bf,but am feeling so guilty n jus can't bring myself to start on fm.sigh

Ting

actually nth to feel guilty abt. i tried to BF pin but also failed to do so, she wouldnt wanna latch on. maybe bcos my supply only came in after 1 week, so she alr used to FM n was impatient.
so i nvr BF her b4.
but i nvr felt guilty bcos i cant BF her.
i alr did n try but just didnt succeed.
but not like im not feeding her.
yeah breast milk might be the "best" milk, but it is NOT the only milk to give your baby, so dun be too bothered abt it lorr.
give FM also ok what.

cocraze

I dont have a lot of breast milk to start with.
While on Maternity leave, i get about 80-100ml each pump...
Back to work 1 month ago, supply went slowly from 60ml down to 30ml per pumping session. so now i just collect 4 sessions of 30ml to have 120ml (enough for 1 feed).... Feel so upset...
I am thinking of stopping bf at 6mth but each time i think about it i feel so guilty about it...cos i know some breast milk is better than none..... But amt is getting lesser and lesser... Hai....
any mummy can share your thoughts?
No need to be guilty as the other mommies have said, we are just trying to do our best in the different scenarios we face in our lives as mothers. Stress will make milk supply dwindle, so don't worry unnecessarily. Try to maintain a cheerful mindset.

I went through the same guilt-trip.
I stopped pumping and feeding my girl after a mere 4 weeks, after two bouts of mastitis, which led to my hospitalisation and doc prescription of hormones to stop milk supply. I could, in reality, restart lactation, according to the LC, but I was taking care of girl myself, and being a first-time mother, and being very sensitive, I decided against re-lactation and started feeding her FM fully.

There are many other ways we can be as best a parent to our children, other than breastfeeding. Don't let others sway what you think you are doing best, in your own circumstances.

Ivy Miao

Yea.. Nothing to feel guilty about. My son was partial bfing for onli 2 weeks. And the milk supply was really pathetic. 10 - 30ml, the max. At one point, my milk supply suddenly stop! No leaking, no engorment. At least u bf for 6mths...

Mummy to Baby V

I was adamant about bf-ing my baby as long as I can, but now only 2wks + and i'm already so tired of latching my baby. as my supply has dipped so I latch him on all the time now.

i'm thinking of giving baby fm n also partial bf,but am feeling so guilty n just can't bring myself to start on fm.sigh
Maintain a positive mindset and get support from people around you. Talk to mothers who have successfully breastfed. Latching on is actually the easiest way to breastfeed, as it frees up one hand to read / surf Net / eat / fold clothes / talk on the phone, etc. When I was tired, I just latch baby on and both of us fall asleep.

When baby is older, feeding sessions become much shorter (my boy: about 5 to 10 minutes both sides!)

Be positive and hang on there. :)