Happy Bellies baby cereal

marshmallows

My boy prefers Happy Bellies oatmeal cereal over Healthy Times oatmeal cos the texture is smoother and tastes less sweet. Dunno why HT cereals taste kinda sweet even though they claim that there's no sugar. Especially with the new batch of HT brown rice cereal, my boy started rejecting it cos he hates sweet food.

Anyway I noticed that there are stickers pasted over to cover away some wordings on Happy Bellies packaging. Wordings like 'DHA to support eye and brain development' etc are all covered away. I called up the distributor Origins to ask why and they said cos AVA dun allow. I asked them is it those wordings / claims are untrue that's why AVA wants it to be covered away so as not to mislead consumers but Origins couldn't really answer to that and told me because the product is manufactured in USA and it's for the market there etc.

Hmmm... Kinda strange cos I believe many baby formula milk powder also got such wordings written on the can isn't it? Don't understand leh...

swathi

hi hi!
my baby started with HT brown rice first.. he totally loves it, its been a month now that he is eating, so i thought it was time to introduce him to oatmeal.. picked up happy bellies oatmeal, me too wasnt very comfortable with the stickers pasted all over the tin.. baby did like it, but dint poop for 3 days :( and today 4th day he grunted and while passing stools and to my horror there was a tiny streak of blood too.. never constipated before with rice cereal.. :( so planning to discontinue with happy bellies for now.. got HT oatmeal, but wondering if its oats that causing issue.. gona chk with his paed :( :(

marshmallows

My boy is opposite from your boy. His stools are harder when on brown rice cereal but is fine with oatmeal, doesn't matter if it's HT or Happy Bellies :)

tpyy

hi mummies, i was thinking of buying this cereal and just chanced upon this thread. How do you find Happy Bellies for your babies -would you buy it again? I heard some American reviews that some tins when opened the cereal smells stale. Do you find it ok?

Thank you.

As for the labelling...yes i am a bit concerned after reading this thread...

marshmallows

hi mummies, i was thinking of buying this cereal and just chanced upon this thread. How do you find Happy Bellies for your babies -would you buy it again? I heard some American reviews that some tins when opened the cereal smells stale. Do you find it ok?

Thank you.

As for the labelling...yes i am a bit concerned after reading this thread...
Oh yes the last can of Happy Bellies oatmeal cereal that I bought does have a rancid smell in it when I opened. It smelt like oil that's gone rancid... and there's sunflower oil listed in the ingredient list. I thought it was just that can having this problem, cos few cans I bought previously didnt smell like that. Didnt know it was a "common" problem! Gosh.

Anyway my boy has not been eating cereals for a while now cos he prefers porridge. Guess I will get Healthy Times next time instead.

lsy

Oh yes the last can of Happy Bellies oatmeal cereal that I bought does have a rancid smell in it when I opened. It smelt like oil that's gone rancid... and there's sunflower oil listed in the ingredient list. I thought it was just that can having this problem, cos few cans I bought previously didnt smell like that. Didnt know it was a "common" problem! Gosh.

Anyway my boy has not been eating cereals for a while now cos he prefers porridge. Guess I will get Healthy Times next time instead.
My first can of happy bellies brown rice got this fishy smell. I'm not getting happy bellies anymore. Bellamy rice cereal got a much better smell.

Last edited:

littlesheep

Chanced upon this thread..

i used to feed #1 with Happy Bellies oatmeal..very nice smelling.
But the batch i bought in Nov 2010 has this bad oil smell and the colour differs too..
used to be oat colour..now it's like greenish colour..
ever since i stopped using it. dont feel safe giving to my dd though Happy Bellies said it's normal, safe to consume.