Hard stools & crying badly when poo. =(

NIisme

Yesterday my darling Vyanne very poor thing, she was having hard stools. when she try to poo, she cried very badly, i see already also heart pain, each times she only can poo out a size of the egg yolk, and was so dry, and hard. already 4times!

Her bottom now so red, and i like saw a small red torn skin. my heart going to drop sia. :wecry::wecry:

fioncess

maybe you try giving her a little prune juice n more water?? else you can give fruits like mi tao... those red colour de...

nurman02

Yesterday my darling Vyanne very poor thing, she was having hard stools. when she try to poo, she cried very badly, i see already also heart pain, each times she only can poo out a size of the egg yolk, and was so dry, and hard. already 4times!

Her bottom now so red, and i like saw a small red torn skin. my heart going to drop sia. :wecry::wecry:

Oh dear, i can understand how u r feeling now :embarrassed:... When she's pooing, at the same time massage her calves and tummy with some eucalyptus oil... its helps when my doter was having constipation... how old is ur princess?

if she is on solids, blench some spinach, mash it and add in her porridge... spinach can do wonders!

Last edited:

liz2010

Hi niisme. I understand what's happening to you. My daughter has the same problem since she started solid food. It started when she was 7 months old. I had to buy a medication and it was bleeding because she didn't poo for many days. Poor girl, she was crying so loud. It was really heartbreaking :wecry: .I tried every piece of advice given by the pediatrician and friends: papaya, small banana, prune juice, oat, pear... nothing worked. So what I did: I cut down on all the carbohydrates and some veggies like potato, sweet potato and carrot. Her stools was normal after that. Then, I introduced again very slowly all the carbohydrates and the above veggies. I gradually increased the quantity. This really helped a lot, although she didn't put much on weight at the time. But at least she wasn't on medication. Now, I give her dried fruit (she likes raisin) everyday and it's much better. And whenever she doesn't poo one day, I give her prune juice the next day and it makes her poo. Her stool is hard, but at least she can do it. She is 18 months now.

I've noticed that usually it happens when my daughter is teething. So hopefully, it's over once all teeth are out.

you can read some more on the following thread: http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f57/hard-stool-woes-33637/

NIisme

maybe you try giving her a little prune juice n more water?? else you can give fruits like mi tao... those red colour ...
prune juice? what kind of prune juice? got specially for baby one?
headache problem is she reject water. ZZzz

NIisme

Oh dear, i can understand how you r feeling now :embarrassed:... When she's pooing, at the same time massage her calves and tummy with some eucalyptus oil... its helps when my doter was having constipation... how old is your princess?

if she is on solids, blench some spinach, mash it and add in her porridge... spinach can do wonders!
she is now 6mths 3weeks. i did apply ru yi oil for her. she dont like porridge, maybe i will mix some spinach with potatoes for her ba. =)

NIisme

Hi niisme. I understand what's happening to you. My daughter has the same problem since she started solid food. It started when she was 7 months old. I had to buy a medication and it was bleeding because she didn't poo for many days. Poor girl, she was crying so loud. It was really heartbreaking :wecry: .I tried every piece of advice given by the pediatrician and friends: papaya, small banana, prune juice, oat, pear... nothing worked. So what I did: I cut down on all the carbohydrates and some veggies like potato, sweet potato and carrot. Her stools was normal after that. Then, I introduced again very slowly all the carbohydrates and the above veggies. I gradually increased the quantity. This really helped a lot, although she didn't put much on weight at the time. But at least she wasn't on medication. Now, I give her dried fruit (she likes raisin) everyday and it's much better. And whenever she doesn't poo one day, I give her prune juice the next day and it makes her poo. Her stool is hard, but at least she can do it. She is 18 months now.

I've noticed that usually it happens when my daughter is teething. So hopefully, it's over once all teeth are out.

you can read some more on the following thread: http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f57/hard-stool-woes-33637/
ya, she now still teething, 2 teethes come out half way, maybe i give her too much potatoes & carrots i think. have to cut down the intake. thanks for the suggestion. =)

nurman02

ya, she now still teething, 2 teethes come out half way, maybe i give her too much potatoes & carrots i think. have to cut down the intake. thanks for the suggestion. =)

read it somewhere, carrots may cause constipation.

liz2010

prune juice? what kind of prune juice? got specially for baby one?
headache problem is she reject water. ZZzz
you can find prune juice for babies at the supermarket with the other baby food. It's in the small baby jars. If I'm not wrong, it's mixed with apple juice. Otherwise, you can find pure prune juice in the supermarket (Sunsweet and an other brand) at the juice section. But it's in big bottle. What I do: I freeze in small containers as nobody else at home drinks prune juice.

Last edited:

apollo

*ouch* so painful!!! ds also used to passhard stools.. i gave him Gerber prune puree. dont have to give whole bottle, just 1/4 of it, and he poo few hrs later. sometimes i give him those concentrated prune juice DILUTED with water.. ust a few sips and he can poo 1-2 hrs later.. both puree and juice works well =)

jaybaobei

my gal also hv this problem until now she already 20mths still hv phobia passing motions.
u can try to give red dragon fruit. it do wonders but vy expensive.

gd luck & all the best!

potato

I'll try giving her red dragon fruit, my daughter is taking duphalac syrup as a medication, it does help to soften the stool. Hope it helps! :)

meiteoh

For short term solution to constipation, give prune juice or prune puree (can opt for other poo inducing fruits like peaches, papaya and pear - they all start with P). While you're giving this, cut back on wheat, rice, apples and bananas as well as other starchy foods and items high in iron as they worsen constipation. Only when your baby is poo-ing, do you continue on with her regular diet.

For long term measure, you need to relook at your baby's diet. Most mummies will opt to cut back on the offending item but that is not a good long term solution as the offending item may contain important nutrients. Giving the same no of items isn't the solution either - eg porridge with meat or fish and only a few veg. I know some mummies worry about introducing fruits because of the sweetness or "liang" but to me, those are unfounded claims. Naturally reoccurring sugar like fruit sugar is way healthier than the sugar found in toddler formula and Nestle cereals!

Anyway, what is needed here is a balanced diet of water, soluble and insoluble fibers, carbs, protein, fats, vits and minerals. At 7 mths, your daughter should be taking about at least equal servings of fruit & veg, with grains. In other words, if she has two meals of grain, she should get two meals of fruit/veg either as a dessert or snack plus one meal of protein. There should be a balanced from each group. Don't forget that she needs to take in water - the max is 4 oz (any more and it may affect her appetite for milk) (this includes juice).

When Eva was 7 mths, she was taking two meals a day on top of water, milk and snacks. I consider snack as a grain serving so I made sure that she got 1 serving of fruit plus protein (yogurt/tofu) for breakfast and 2 serving for veg plus 1 serving of grain for lunch. This is not a hard and fast rule but basically I made sure that she has at least one fruit serving a day. She also has water regularly throughout the day. I kept this up even now - she's 15 months and has a fruit serving twice a day - once during breakfast and one for dinner. When she's at home with me, she gets fruit at least three times a day as a snack or dessert (after meals). It prevents constipation as well as ensure that she has enough Vit C which builds up her immune system. As for water, sometimes I have to top up her water bottle (200-250ml) twice a day because she drinks a lot.

glab3lla

Give her papaya juice..it works 2 all my baby :) coz it can soften the pee.
If her pee still hard, u can give her dulcolax suppositoria, which is given to her anus.
It work in 3-5 minutes.
wish it work u ur lovely baby :)

meiteoh

Please note that Dulcolax can only be given to children under medical advice (doesn't matter if above or under 4 yo). See their site for this warning: Dulcolax® - Dulcolax® Suppositories product information

Suppositories and other medications serve as short term solutions and should not be used regularly as they contain chemicals that can affect the muscles and blood vessels around the rectum. Even companies that manufacture these products recommend that you prevent constipation via a healthy and balanced diet.

Ting

just feed more fruits and veggies and liquids to her shld help clear her constipation. pin used to had bad constipation too when she was arnd 1-2 yo, always had a hard time pooing, so just keep giving her losta fruits and veggies and make sure she hv a balanced diet, cut down on snacks and give her more liquids (esp plain water). i think exercising also helps alot, pin is very active so not an issue, for the younger babies, can do the cycling exercise (take both legs up n "cycle) for a few mins 2-3 times a day (maybe after bath/after baby wakes up from nap), crawling, cruising, etc.

raeka

your baby is only 6-7 month old . your cereal can choose Barley cereal as it doesn't harden e stool.
No biscuit as will harden e stool too.

Gerber prune is ok.

Veg cabbage cannot too much wind in stomach the baby will have difficult time to push out e bowel .

Fruit , pear papaya peach is good .
No banana pls .

Try to note down your baby daily routine n meal.

xicloudix

My baby also has hard poo now... but he dun cry... but he dun take semi soilid also.... he only wanna drink his milk.... what can i do??? what causes it??? he is on stage 2 Nan pro...