hard stools!

apollo

ds has been passing hard stools on and off since he started solid food... sometimes even not v hard, also wont be as 'watery' as b4.. i'm wondering is tt normal?? cos he sometimes he pass a big stool, hard one... sometimes got abit watery but still got those harden one...

i do feed him water everyday, but average 80-100ml per day.. is tt enough??

autumn82

dear son has been passing hard stools on and off since he started solid food... sometimes even not very hard, also wont be as 'watery' as before.. i'm wondering is that normal?? cos he sometimes he pass a big stool, hard one... sometimes got abit watery but still got those harden one...

i do feed him water everyday, but average 80-100ml per day.. is that enough??
:err: When they start on solids, there should be a difference in poo too. :) Should get harder.. :001_302::001_302::001_302:

when u talk about hard, is it those super hard like rock type?? If yes, perhaps is the food that you feed him that causes it.

I realised for Iggy, if I feed him spinach, he poos really soft stools but if it's broccoli/carrots, the poo gets slightly hard like marble size type but when u press on it, it's soft.

And, Iggy still don't really drinks water up to today. :p So 80-100m is pretty good to me!! :001_302:

LoVeS

Sumtimes when stools r too big it could b their digestive system tat is digesting too fast tats why the stools r BIG n even hard~ But i feel as long as the stools r hard it will b consider as constipation~ Tats wat my PD told me too~

diymummy

Has the pooing pattern reduced in frequency? Is your son's appetite decreasing? Is your son cranky? Is your son's tummy bloated? If all the above is yes, the hard stools could be constipation. Also if you start to notice some strains of blood in the stools, he could be straining too hard to poo. That would be constipation.

Agree with Autumn mummy that pooing pattern and texture will change after starting solids. Not to mention that it will become more smelly.

For my son, when he started solids, his 4 times a day poo became 3 times a day and now when he is on even more slids, he poos only 2 times or 1 time a day.

As his solid intake increases, his poo will become harder because the liquid content is lower.

My son only drinks 20ml of water a day. So 80-100ml sounds very good!! LOL.

apollo

Has the pooing pattern reduced in frequency? Is your son's appetite decreasing? Is your son cranky? Is your son's tummy bloated? If all the above is yes, the hard stools could be constipation. Also if you start to notice some strains of blood in the stools, he could be straining too hard to poo. That would be constipation.

Agree with Autumn mummy that pooing pattern and texture will change after starting solids. Not to mention that it will become more smelly.

For my son, when he started solids, his 4 times a day poo became 3 times a day and now when he is on even more slids, he poos only 2 times or 1 time a day.

As his solid intake increases, his poo will become harder because the liquid content is lower.

My son only drinks 20ml of water a day. So 80-100ml sounds very good!! LOL.
his pooing frequency still same, once a day or max once every 2 days.. but he is indeed very cranky this few days =( but he did not strain when he poo cos we didnt even notice when he poo.. he only cranky when he wanna slp or if he sees no one ard.. his tummy looks abit bloat :embarrassed:

Ting

their poo will change to like adult kind when they start on solids.
u try to press n see is it very hard? or soft n become flat when u press? if so, i think its normal.
as long as he is pooing everyday n not straining with very hard stools, shldnt be a problem.
tummy is bloated, apply some ru yi oil for him shld be ok alr.
do u feed him fruits everyday? one per day is good enough.
also can try sweet potatos, can help to fart. my mum on n off will steam sweet potatoes for pin, esp if she seems to be bloated. can give taros, pin simply loves them!

diymummy

Try to avoid vege like brocolli, cauliflower and cabbage because they cause air in baby's tummies.

At least the crankiness is not due to tummy ache so it's ok.

Agree with Ting, maybe you can feed fruits to aid digestion and bowel movement also apply Ru Yi oil to help expel air. :)

Think your son is ok.

lis

wen my son started takng solid foods.. he only poo 1 time/day.. max also 2 times..

i feed him apple in daily basis.. it's best to let them eat fruits before meal, it helps in digestion better.. =) coz they have absorb the sugar for better aid..

i also make sure he drinks at least 400-500ml of plain water everyday..

his poo look like marble shape.. looks hard, but actually not.. coz he did not strain wen poo-ing..

u might wanna let ur son have a little papaya juice or eat the papaya itself.. it helps in constipation.. =) wen he poo, got papaya smell.. hehe.. * i got the tips from radio..*

apollo

Ting and diymummy, what fruits can i feed ds?? i fed him mash banana and bottled apple puree b4..

and i think his tummy is bloated and got 'wind' cos ytd i fed him ridwind and he was okay ytd.. didnt cry when he wanna slp, just fall aslp when he was tired.. but his tummy still looks bloated...

apollo

wen my son started takng solid foods.. he only poo 1 time/day.. max also 2 times..

i feed him apple in daily basis.. it's best to let them eat fruits before meal, it helps in digestion better.. =) coz they have absorb the sugar for better aid..

i also make sure he drinks at least 400-500ml of plain water everyday..

his poo look like marble shape.. looks hard, but actually not.. coz he did not strain wen poo-ing..

you might wanna let your son have a little papaya juice or eat the papaya itself.. it helps in constipation.. =) wen he poo, got papaya smell.. hehe.. * i got the tips from radio..*
hw old is ur son? 4-500ml of water sounds alot! haha!! feed fruits b4 solid food meal or milk feed??

diymummy

Ting and diymummy, what fruits can i feed dear son?? i fed him mash banana and bottled apple puree before..

and i think his tummy is bloated and got 'wind' cos ytd i fed him ridwind and he was okay ytd.. didnt cry when he wanna sleep, just fall aslp when he was tired.. but his tummy still looks bloated...
Hi Regina mummy,

Check out this thread. Meiteoh mummy listed some fruits suitable to intro to babies.
http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f40/introducing-fruits-6-5mos-old-27759/

Ya.. Glad that he's ok after the colic drops. It'll look bloated for a while. That was for my baby's case. As long as it doesn't feel hard anymore, it is ok.

potato

What fruits can i give my girl? Is pear good for constipation? She has been drinking water daily, her urine is colourless. But why is she still having constipation? :(

diymummy

Should be ok bahh... I've never tried Frisocream so not too sure about it. :)

Rice water from the porridge supposed to be good and helps with constipation.

lis

What fruits can i give my girl? Is pear good for constipation? She has been drinking water daily, her urine is colourless. But why is she still having constipation? :(
maybe because she's lack in sugar/glucose intake.. coz glucose r needed for digestion..

am not sure is pear helps in constipation.. but papaya helps..

hw old is your son? 4-500ml of water sounds alot! haha!! feed fruits before solid food meal or milk feed??
my son is turning 2.5 years old.. yea.. indeed its alot.. haha..!! i force him too.. coz he eats alot.. n play alot too.. kip on sweating.. :tlaugh:

feed fruits before solid food meal.. =)

LoVeS

banana is gd for constipation~ It always help my boy to pass motion when he start to haf constipation~

lis

banana is good for constipation~ It always help my boy to pass motion when he start to have constipation~

not ol kids can eat banana and helps in constipation.. it's quite heaty also.. so still need to drink lots of plain water in other to make it work.. =)

coz last time my son used to eat banana also.. but had hard time in passing motion.. thus need to make him drinks lots of water..

LoVeS

not ol kids can eat banana and helps in constipation.. it's quite heaty also.. so still need to drink lots of plain water in other to make it work.. =)

coz last time my son used to eat banana also.. but had hard time in passing motion.. thus need to make him drinks lots of water..
eh she asking which fruits gd for constipation mah so i suggest banana lor but of coz water is still the best unless tat doesnt work :tlaugh: papaya aso pretty gd~ OHHH raisins too~~ raisins r really gd for constipation regardless for kid or for adult :tlaugh: