HealthyTimes Cereal

I was thinking of doing this too. Does it take a long time for the rice to dry? And what brand did you get?
Hi Sugarcookie,

my mum did the washing & drying for me. But u got to wash it bit by bit so that easier & faster to dry.
The brand i forgotten. theres this blue elephant on it. Organic brown rice on the paper. 1 small pk shld have 3kg? $8 only.
But this few days weather nt predictable. suddenly jus rain.
Otherwise another method it, jus wash 1 spoon of rice, dry it with clean towel & blend it into powder b4 cookin.

cmeilim

hi charlesnkian

i am a FTWM, no time to dry the brown rice myself as it takes time for it to be fully dried. otherwise it will grow mouldy and spoil easily. my mum already has her hands full taking care of my boy, so she won't want the extra task. she was relieved when i told her i could buy organic cereal for her to mix with my EBM without cooking.

hi charlesnkian

i am a full time working mum, no time to dry the brown rice myself as it takes time for it to be fully dried. otherwise it will grow mouldy and spoil easily. my mum already has her hands full taking care of my boy, so she won't want the extra task. she was relieved when i told her i could buy organic cereal for her to mix with my EBM without cooking.
Hi cmeilim,

yes but when bb is abt 7-8mths, we have to introduce fish, meat & veg.
To cook organic brown rice is when you have started to cook for bb. Cereal are mostly for breakfast only when bb is bigger. :)

For 6mths old bb who just started solid, they only take cereal with EBM/FM 2 meals lunch & dinner + Milk feed. :)

cmeilim

Hi cmeilim,

yes but when baby is about 7-8mths, we have to introduce fish, meat & veg.
To cook organic brown rice is when you have started to cook for baby. Cereal are mostly for breakfast only when baby is bigger. :)

For 6mths old baby who just started solid, they only take cereal with EBM/FM 2 meals lunch & dinner + Milk feed. :)
i see. for past three days, ian has been taking one small bowl of brown rice cereal mix with EBM every morning. his volume of pooh has increased!!! can't imagine how it would be like when i increase to two servings a day, haha.

in his first month of semi-solids, do i or can i already introduce mashed tofu or mashed carrot/butternut mixed into the cereal and EBM? or just strictly cereal n EBM?

i see. for past three days, ian has been taking one small bowl of brown rice cereal mix with EBM every morning. his volume of pooh has increased!!! can't imagine how it would be like when i increase to two servings a day, haha.

in his first month of semi-solids, do i or can i already introduce mashed tofu or mashed carrot/butternut mixed into the cereal and EBM? or just strictly cereal n EBM?
Hi.... My baby gal will be officially 6 months tom...I was feeding her half tablespoon - 1 & half tablespoon of cereal with EBM daily for the previous week. For the past week, I gave her variety of mashed pumpkin, carrot, apple. Read from book & from our PD that it's entirely up to you and your baby as to what you want to feed during the weaning period. however carrots and apples are easiest to digest....

Most importantly... NO sugar, preservatives, gluten, diary and salt!

apollo

i started intro solid food to ds 2 weeks ago and he has tried carrot & pumkpin.. i mix the puree in his HT brown rice cereal..

i think ds dont really lik carrot. he seems to prefer pumpkin more haha...

cmeilim

haha, ian polishes off at least five teaspoons of cereal mixed with abt 30ml of EBM each time, which i thought was quite a lot for a baby who just started on weaning. no wonder he has been having more poo yesterday and today. lol. for pumpkin, carrot and apple, do u mix them in the cereal and EBM or do u just give one teaspoon of single veg/fruit during one feed?

meiteoh

If you're intro-ing, I think the rule is single foods every four days to watch out for allergic reactions. If baby is ok after each new food, then you can mix them up.

apollo

haha, ian polishes off at least five teaspoons of cereal mixed with about 30ml of EBM each time, which i thought was quite a lot for a baby who just started on weaning. no wonder he has been having more poo yesterday and today. lol. for pumpkin, carrot and apple, do you mix them in the cereal and EBM or do you just give one teaspoon of single veg/fruit during one feed?
i let him tried cereal for 3-4 days then i mix the carrot puree into his cereal. eh, i admit, i did not follow the 4days rule for carrot =P he just started pumpkin today, i think i will follow the 4days rule this time haha...

btw cmeilim mummy, 5 tablespoon for a starter is alot lehh!!! ds eat 2tablespoon + abit of puree mix inside can last him 3hrs then cry for milk... haha..

cmeilim

regina, haha, it's 5 teaspoons, but i think i actually added more than that to get a thicker consistency by the second day yesterday. after the cereal, i still nurse my boy right away and he seems to have an increased appetite for BM after the cereal. dunno why.... greedy boy maybe, lol.

by the way, any mummy will give baby some water to drink after feeding him/her cereal?

snowbear

regina, haha, it's 5 teaspoons, but i think i actually added more than that to get a thicker consistency by the second day yesterday. after the cereal, i still nurse my boy right away and he seems to have an increased appetite for breast milk after the cereal. dont know why.... greedy boy maybe, lol.

by the way, any mummy will give baby some water to drink after feeding him/her cereal?
I do try to offer water after cereal but she would usually refuse. Usually I'd nurse her after feeding cereal so actually i just offer water to get her used to drinking a bit of water...

apollo

regina, haha, it's 5 teaspoons, but i think i actually added more than that to get a thicker consistency by the second day yesterday. after the cereal, i still nurse my boy right away and he seems to have an increased appetite for breast milk after the cereal. dont know why.... greedy boy maybe, lol.

5 teaspoon is okay... i think 5teaspoon is = 2tablespoon lik tt? haha...

yes i feed ds water once he started solid food. every few spoons of cereal, i will give him a sip of water. cos will not drink alot at a time and is not advisable to drink too much at a time. so i give him sip by sip... so thru out the whole feeding, i give him ard 5-6times water... each time a sip lik tt..

Hi cmeilim,

sorry butternut? sorry wads that?
BTW, no nuts, berries, honey to infant. a very strict no no.
ur bb is ready for other solid when he/she is taking cereal well. But i would think you should check out with professional.
What i did in the past was, aft cereal, i introduced mashed potato. then carrot puree. mashed sweet potato, pumpkin puree, Start 1 new item 1 at a time. Do not mixed potato with pumkin or anything until u know that your bb is not sensitive to any food u tried then u mixed.
Do it for 3 days at least eating the same thing.
Next step i did was introduce fish n meat.
So i cooked organic brown rice with pork. eat for 1 whole week,
Then move to rice + fish kurau. bla bla.
For me i allow my bb to eat the fish & meat. u must be thinking hw i made her it chunks of meat yea?
I actually cooked the brown rice by steaming method. & i steam the fish. When its cooked, i took out the fish, use a blender add some water frm the porridge, if too dry, i added hot water(alittle) & blend the fish to liquid. Sounds disgusting right? but its pointless to cook the fish n meat in soup & just use the soup to cook the porridge. Cos the nutrients is still in the meat. :)
I did the same for pork. Blended it up to thick liquid & added into my cooked brown rice.
Theres no need to blend the rice as my brown rice was blended into powder so when its cooked, its like gruel.

Oh yes,
dont feed bb too much carrot, pumpkin puree. It makes bb yellow.
I gave my girl too much pumpkin when she was 18mths. She turned yellow. brought to PD, said "pumpkin overdose". stop eating for 2wks n skin colour back to norm.
Thought pumpkin is very nutritious. Yes but too much is nt gd either. Papaya also can cause bb to be yellow. So watch out 4 these food.

To me bb food is very impt. So no matter hw troublesome it is, we still got to try spend more effort on it.
Now for those who just started feeding bb with solid may think so much to do. Now my girl is 26mths, the challenge is higher up.
Cos.. Now ive got to think hw to make her food more interesting to make her it! They will enter this stage fussy eaters.. Oh my tian... really wants to pluck my hair out.
My meimei is 7mths & teething already. Not taking solid well these few days. :(

apollo

Oh yes,
dont feed baby too much carrot, pumpkin puree. It makes baby yellow.
I gave my girl too much pumpkin when she was 18mths. She turned yellow. brought to pediatrician, said "pumpkin overdose". stop eating for 2wks n skin colour back to norm.
Thought pumpkin is very nutritious. Yes but too much is not good either. Papaya also can cause baby to be yellow. So watch out 4 these food.

To me baby food is very impt. So no matter hw troublesome it is, we still got to try spend more effort on it.
Now for those who just started feeding baby with solid may think so much to do. Now my girl is 26mths, the challenge is higher up.
Cos.. Now ive got to think hw to make her food more interesting to make her it! They will enter this stage fussy eaters.. Oh my tian... really wants to pluck my hair out.
My meimei is 7mths & teething already. Not taking solid well these few days. :(
hw frequent u fed ur baby pumpkin tt time? if i follow the 4day rule, continuously feed 4days of pumpkin will cause yellow? last 2 weeks i gave ds carrot every other day, not everyday...

meiteoh

Urm, Charles, butternut is a kind of squash - the inside looks like pumpkin but it's longish like a gourd. :)

Yes, eating foods high in beta carotene (carrots, papaya, etc) can cause your skin to turn yellowish. :p

Foxtrot

Thanks to all mummies for this useful threads! My dear son is going to 6 months and its really helpful to find how much and what to feed for his first solid meal experience. =)