help..baby keep hitting himself

tayenee

dear mummies, not sure if u have the same encounter. my bb (9weeks) keep hitting himself esp when he fuss..he will swing his hands and slam on his head..im so worried that he may hurt his soft spot (Fontanelles) as the strength is pretty huge (can feel it when i placed my hands to shield his head)..what shd i do...

Oppsgal

Mine already 1 year plus also doing that once in a while. Use hand hit own head. :elvis: Usually I will pull the hand away or scold my baby for doing that.

dear mummies, not sure if you have the same encounter. my baby (9weeks) keep hitting himself esp when he fuss..he will swing his hands and slam on his head..im so worried that he may hurt his soft spot (Fontanelles) as the strength is pretty huge (can feel it when i placed my hands to shield his head)..what should i do...
For this age, sometimes they 'accidentally' hit themselves because of poor motor skills ie hand movements not super smooth yet.

apollo

ds used to do tt when he was young, b4 he reach 6mth. he not only hit his head and also tummy. but he seemed 'happy' to do that -.-||

tayenee

he keeps doing it in a consistent manner. like we do aerobics with arm swinging.. that makes me worried bcos of his soft spot.. when im around, i could still hold his hands..there was once he hit and scratch his head till it bled. *scary*

apart from mittens, should i tie his hands up to prevent further injury?.. lol

vinder79

he keeps doing it in a consistent manner. like we do aerobics with arm swinging.. that makes me worried bcos of his soft spot.. when im around, i could still hold his hands..there was once he hit and scratch his head till it bled. *scary*

apart from mittens, should i tie his hands up to prevent further injury?.. lol
Pls dont do that if its really effects you set up appt with your peads. Maybe try giving him soft rattlers the sound might distract him. whenever he does that try distracting him try putting soft material toys ard him like soft books and rattlers.

diymummy

It's actually quite normal for young babies to do that. We adults can scold or do other things to help release our emotions but with young babies, the only way they know how to ventilate could be hitting themselves or screaming or crying.

You have to keep reminding your baby (he will understand if you are consistent in your reminders and teachings) not to do that. Try to find what is causing your baby to fuss and avoid it.

My son had very bad cradle cap and it was itchy. At 3-4 mths, he could scratch till his whole scalp was bleedy. So when he was sleeping, we used extra big sleepsuits on him and I sewed up the ends of the sleeves so his hands can't come out. I only wore those on him when he was sleeping and I can't check on him in the middle of the night. Then I sort medical attention and after 3 weeks, the condition improved and he wasn't so frustrated anymore and I didn't have to wear those sleepsuits on him anymore.