HELP! Baby who doesn't enjoy eating

Snowpea

Dear Mummies

My baby is currently 7mths. She doesn't seem to like drinking milk and taking cereal.
For milk, I have been changing different brands of bottles from Avent, NUK to MAM. She only suck the bottles for the first few times and after that no more sucking and we have to syringe feed. Sometimes before feed, she will make the Vomit look. So I start her on cereal from 4mths onwards, she also start crying during feeding and we have to force feed. Checked with doc, initially he say may be due to reflux, subsequently may be due to teething. I have already tried putting teething gel before feed and still the same. We tried porridge, even worse, she doesn't like.

It's always a challenge feeding her. She only enjoys playing but doesn't seem hungry????

Any mummies out there having same problem, can share experiences with me on resolving the problem?

Thanks.

Rgds
Elaine

kayla10

Hi, snowpea. it is very frustrating when a baby doesnt want milk and food. same like my daughter, just turn 7mths old. she is using NUK feeding bottle since birth. cause her first time using NUK is at the hospital. since then she doesnt want to use other brand already. my baby doesnt want to drink milk since 3mths+.. she can go without milk for 8hrs plus after that keep crying. i use a spoon and syringe to give her milk she dont want. same thing, she give that kind "vomiting" look to me. so i stop, cause forcing her will results her staying away from milk more. we left we no choice but to cook her some super soft porridge. she enjoys it. also, i gave her friso creme. she love it too... good thing about friso creme is that, its milk base rice cereal. but it doesnt come with super milky smell. my baby now its totally on porridge and friso creme from morning until night when she turn in. she will only drink her milk nicely in the middle of the night.. you can try giving her friso creme. cause its milk based rice cereal. but baby taking 1 to 2 times friso creme and 2 porridge a day. total about 4meals a day.

1. you can try give your baby milk when she is super sleepy or deep in sleep. (pat her butt also)
2. milk not too warm. example, 5oz milk, you put 2oz hot water & 3oz normal temp water.
it works on my daughter. if slightly luke warm she dont want already.

btw, how many ML your baby taking in total in a day?
what milk your baby taking now?

mine shes talking 8oz to 10oz. but she will wake up many time. like 4times to 5times.
she taking enfapro a+..

Snowpea

Hi Kayla

In the past, we dream feed her when she was in her 2nd month, subsequent months she doesn't like to be fed when sleepy coz she gets impatient. My baby loves milk a bit warm, but cannot be too warm. She is drinking about 450ML per day and two times cereal. Yes, I also feed her friso creme, sometimes she eats, sometimes she cry during feeds, sometimes she doesn't swallow and keep the feed in her mouth...

She is taking enfapro too. Don't know whether is the milk powder she doesn't like of what?

Sign.....

diymummy

You could get milk samples from other milk companies to try and see if she'll like them.

For your cereal/porridge do you add puree? Maybe you could try giving her some fresh fruit puree or mix some vege puree into her cereal/porridge to give her some taste.

joeybeadz

dont worry. My gal used to be like that as well.
If she is still drinking milk, it is fine. You can slowly intro food to her. No need to be a lot. u can try giving more frequency. Maybe give yogurt, biscuit (those can melt in the month), macaroni, porridge, cereal. She might be getting used to swallow differently.

If not, you can give her a break, then intro back again.

Dont give up!

Snowpea

Thank you Mummies for all your encouragement and suggestions.

I think I have to spend more time understanding my baby preferences. As I work, usually I leave feeding to my maid during daytime. She said she doesnt like porridge etc, but I don't believe. I try cooking myself over weekend and add more variety to the porridge and she takes it. The way she is being carried also play a part. She likes sitting position. Though she still needs support as she still cannot sit independently. Feeding must be enjoyable, so I try to be happy and don't show my stressfulness.

joeybeadz

Thank you Mummies for all your encouragement and suggestions.

I think I have to spend more time understanding my baby preferences. As I work, usually I leave feeding to my maid during daytime. She said she doesnt like porridge etc, but I don't believe. I try cooking myself over weekend and add more variety to the porridge and she takes it. The way she is being carried also play a part. She likes sitting position. Though she still needs support as she still cannot sit independently. Feeding must be enjoyable, so I try to be happy and don't show my stressfulness.
Ya. true.
I cooked badly. My father cooks and she will eat. *lol* Hence I will give her yogurt and cereal, which I dont have to cook.