help!! how i can make baby sleep and not wake up for bm

hi mummies

please help, my baby is waking up 5 times a night for comfort drink and i just give in but as a mother of two i cant take it super tired. i feel guilty not giving him casue my elder son ws fully bf until 22 month and he wake up hourly for milk until he was 17 month. m i being unfair not to let my younger on drink milk at night. please kindly advise and also how to train them at night not to wake up.... thanks

oblong

hi mummies

please help, my baby is waking up 5 times a night for comfort drink and i just give in but as a mother of two i cant take it super tired. i feel guilty not giving him casue my elder son ws fully bf until 22 month and he wake up hourly for milk until he was 17 month. m i being unfair not to let my younger on drink milk at night. please kindly advise and also how to train them at night not to wake up.... thanks
not sure how old is your younger son now. perhaps for the last feed before bedtime u wanna use a bottle to feed him ebm. estimate how much he takes per nursing session, then add abt 20 - 50 ml to that qty. measure out this qty of ebm and feed him before bedtime. may take a few nites of trial and error though..... also, during the daytime, need to ensure that DS has taken sufficient milk / food intake, otherwise he will still feel hungry at night and wakes more often.

not sure how old is your younger son now. perhaps for the last feed before bedtime u wanna use a bottle to feed him ebm. estimate how much he takes per nursing session, then add abt 20 - 50 ml to that qty. measure out this qty of ebm and feed him before bedtime. may take a few nites of trial and error though..... also, during the daytime, need to ensure that DS has taken sufficient milk / food intake, otherwise he will still feel hungry at night and wakes more often.
hi dear

hebis no 4months old. i dirct feed him lazy to pump and feed hi at night. how

annie

cluster feed means feeding them alot in short interval to tank them up eg from evening 5pm u feed hrly till before their bedtime so they are full enough to sleep through the night. not full proof method though. ive tried on mine but dosent work. she unpredictable. even if she feeds alot in the day she can still wakes often. if dun feed alot she sometimes sleep longer lol. well.. babies...

my girl is 6mths now n has increased her night wakings.. used to be only 1-3 times a night. recently 3-5times! dunno y... anyone's bb(breastfed) has slept through already? if so, how old were they when they slept through? mine used to sleep 8.30-5.30/6am then wake up for feed and then sleep again till 8.30-9am... only wake once.. recently haywire..

Angelmum

a solid dinner?
add cereal into FM or expressed BM b4 bedtime?

comfort sucking might need pacifier. Can try a mini bottle (15 or 30ml type) with X cut teat, filled with plain water. Water wont flow out if not hard sucking.... I used this method for DS. Cant consider for DD cos she enjoys pressing the teat n wet herself.

annie

ive read that adding cereal to milk at night might not help in making bb sleep longer though for some it will BUT its actually not very good for them as their system have to work harder to digest the cereals when they are sleeping... so though they might sleep longer, its not really good for them...

dunno how true but then i cant try this method even if i wan to cos my girl dosent know how to use a bottle! lol. all these while she has only my nipples in her mouth n nothing else...

snowbear

cluster feed means feeding them alot in short interval to tank them up eg from evening 5pm u feed hrly till before their bedtime so they are full enough to sleep through the night. not full proof method though. ive tried on mine but dosent work. she unpredictable. even if she feeds alot in the day she can still wakes often. if dun feed alot she sometimes sleep longer lol. well.. babies...

my girl is 6mths now n has increased her night wakings.. used to be only 1-3 times a night. recently 3-5times! dunno y... anyone's bb(breastfed) has slept through already? if so, how old were they when they slept through? mine used to sleep 8.30-5.30/6am then wake up for feed and then sleep again till 8.30-9am... only wake once.. recently haywire..
Alicia has been exclusively bf since birth and used to sleep through from 12midnite to 6am since after 1st month. But after she reached 6 months then she doesn't always manage to sleep thru the nite. Sometimes will wake at 3 or 4am. I think they're reaching certain major milestones like being able to flip, sit, or may be teething so they may wake up more at nite...

ahpei

hi,

perhaps you could try feeing him using lying down, with that, you are able to rest/sleep as well.

DS is coming to 4 months now. he sleesp at around 8.30pm-9pm, the wakes up at around 1-2am, 4-5am, 6-7am.. i would feed him lying down, and then i will continue to sleep... zzzzz... think that works for me...

missblue18

hi my baby is 2 and half mths now she also recently started sleeping thru the night last feed at 11pm then she'll only wake at 6 or 7am...hope it'll last this way...

snowbear

hi,

perhaps you could try feeing him using lying down, with that, you are able to rest/sleep as well.

DS is coming to 4 months now. he sleesp at around 8.30pm-9pm, the wakes up at around 1-2am, 4-5am, 6-7am.. i would feed him lying down, and then i will continue to sleep... zzzzz... think that works for me...
i also feed lying down but can't fall asleep most of the time unless really super tired. But can lie down to rest better than nothing la..

annie

ahpei, your bb schedule is VERY similar to my girl's schedule now! lol. she sleeps around 9pm then wakes up around 1.30am, 4-5am, 7-8am then finally up for the day around 10am...well, when she was 4mths, her schedule is something like this also... at 5.5mths she started to sleep through but only for 2 weeks lol. at 6mths she started going back to her 4 mths schedule...

snowbear, i did thought of the milestone thinggy also.. seems like 6mths has lots to achieve lol. she is not teething for sure cos her gums looks ok.. then there is a 6mths growth sprut which i dun think she is going through it yet as well cos she dosent seem to be always hungry...

so envy those bb who can naturally sleep through the night early...

recently i keep thinking if i can somehow sleep train her by giving her only water at night or by rocking her n all.. anything BUT NO MILK at night but then everytime i thought of it, i feel she very poor thing lol. i keep asking myself 'wat is she is really hungry??' lol. hai~too soft hearted liao...

anyone tried dream feeding? does it really works? i wonder how to dream feed with bf... cos bf means have to pick up bb.. my girl sure wake up if i pick her up...somehow i feel bad disturbing her precious sleep lol.

i dun feed lying down cos no space! lol. my hubby n me takes up whole bed liao.. no space for bb...

Last edited:

hi

cluster feed also no point for baby lei. but recently he imporved a bit maybe after i pleaded with him daily many times. he now only wake up 5-6 times a night.:)

uddermummy

shirley, does your bb sleep a lot in the day? you may want to keep her awake for longer so that she'll be sleepier at night and won't wake up so often.

snowbear

snowbear, i did thought of the milestone thinggy also.. seems like 6mths has lots to achieve lol. she is not teething for sure cos her gums looks ok.. then there is a 6mths growth sprut which i dun think she is going through it yet as well cos she dosent seem to be always hungry...

recently i keep thinking if i can somehow sleep train her by giving her only water at night or by rocking her n all.. anything BUT NO MILK at night but then everytime i thought of it, i feel she very poor thing lol. i keep asking myself 'wat is she is really hungry??' lol. hai~too soft hearted liao...

anyone tried dream feeding? does it really works? i wonder how to dream feed with bf... cos bf means have to pick up bb.. my girl sure wake up if i pick her up...somehow i feel bad disturbing her precious sleep lol.

i dun feed lying down cos no space! lol. my hubby n me takes up whole bed liao.. no space for bb...
I also always scared she's really hungry so will feed her when she cries at nite...

My dd can dream feed. She can search and latch on to the nipple while her eyes are closed and just drink like that. Never open eyes at all. After the feed i just put her back into the cot. :tlaugh:

annie

uddermummy, my girl usually dun nap long in the day but night time also wakes often. sometimes bb are unpredictable lol. sometimes she nap alot in the day n i worry she wont be able to sleep at night but end up she sleep much better! ive read books saying the better their nap, the better their sleep. overtired bb dosent go to sleep easily n dosent stay asleep easily as well. not sure how true it is though...

shirley, does your bb sleep a lot in the day? you may want to keep her awake for longer so that she'll be sleepier at night and won't wake up so often.
hi dear

yes but my pd tell me not to do so as he will really be lack of sleep. he say some children are good they sleep at night but some are bad they refused to sleep. i tried once still the same in fact worse wake up 10 times. really no joke. aya my boys are horrbile lah. hope they grow up is opposite

autumn82

uddermummy, my girl usually dun nap long in the day but night time also wakes often. sometimes bb are unpredictable lol. sometimes she nap alot in the day n i worry she wont be able to sleep at night but end up she sleep much better! ive read books saying the better their nap, the better their sleep. overtired bb dosent go to sleep easily n dosent stay asleep easily as well. not sure how true it is though...
True~ I read abt these as well.. For myself.. I limit Iggy's each napping time to the most 90mins-120mins, twice daily. When he was younger, it was 3x daily. :)

uddermummy

my bb almost always dream latch but she will still wake up whenever i put her back into her cot.

so now, no choice but to sleep with her and let her latch on at night.

does your bb make a lot of noise and pull on the nipple when dream latching?