HELP! how to help my baby girl to sleep better

kayla10

I seriously need advise or help from those mummies who experience their baby who doesnt need to sleep or even sleep very very little.

my baby girl, who is now 6mths old. she was very active since birth. but we still manage to tuck her to sleep. but when she reach 3mths plus, she will stay awake just because she wants to play. now getting worse.. her sleelping pattern,

wake up as early as 6am. i tried to pat her to let her get back to sleep. sometime it work sometime doesnt. 10am, cry because she is tired. i pat her to sleep. she slept for 15 to 20mins. wake up. stay awake until 1pm and then cry loud loud loud. because she is tired. but refuse to let me pat her to sleep. when my dad says hello to her she will stop crying and smile to my dad. and then continue crying and fall asleep eventually as i pat her. and wake up shortly if i continue to pat her.

same thing happen at night, goes to bed about 9 to 10pm. will wake up at about 1 to 2hrs. must faster run to her and pat her till she fell asleep. pat her constantly.......sometimes need to pat her for the entire night in order to let her sleep. sometimes will suddenly wake up and look and ppl to play with her. worse thing is that, she will wake up in the middle of the night and smile at me. means, want me to play with her.

i have try out all sorts of method. like johnson lavender bath and powder. even massage her, apply baby lavender vicks on her to help her sleep better. but all no use one.. she will keep moving and turning ard in the middle of the night.

ling.er

Hi, I understand hw u feel cos my son also same as ur girl.. very active = =" It make mi so tired... But middle of nigh is abit over lei... how much u let girl slp for nap ?? Lavender powder or wat as u say no use .. i did try as well

kayla10

Her nap very short.. Only 15 to 30mins if never pat her constantly. Sometime worst, put her Down on the bed only den open eyes already. Her naps in the day add up less than an hour.

Mummy to Baby V

Last edited:

ling.er

Haiz.. Nw aday baby nap is ok but come to nigh keep move / kick around Then gt to pa or swing him/her to slp.. Make mummy all gt tired. If is working mum then more worst. My son duno wat happen last 2 nigh keep cry & make noise.. I though he was hungry so make him milk. In end drink abit only..

yumitan

happened to my #1 too.. she just couldnt sleep in the night.. put her in sarong, give her pacifier etc just doesnt work.. she can only sleep after 7am zzz.. but it improved as she grows up.. from sleeping @ 7am to sleeping @ 3am (3 years old)... i'm used to it now..

kayla10

Yumitan- omg! 3am!!!! Until 12am I already super super tired.. Thinking why nowadays babies like that. Is it new formula milk adding this n that let the babies become brainiest? Lol! My mum said that my 20 30 years ago formula milk dont have like what nowadays babies having. Last time babies all eat sleep eat sleep. Nowadays babies eat play eat play. Sleep hardly come into babies mind! Hahaha

endlssorrow

Alpha Male
guess i having the same issue about as urs... Baby will like to sleep longer by carrying under arms.

i guess so... due to the btter improve milk powder and the fish pills which we eat when we are having big tummy.

shiyi

is your bb slping with u? maybe she longs for your smell. my bb can sleep better when she slps in the middle of me n hub

kayla10

Shiyi: Yeap.. My baby sleep with me. I cannot sleep alone cause she will wake up countless time and she need me to pat her back to sleep quickly..

shiyi

Shiyi: Yeap.. My baby sleep with me. I cannot sleep alone cause she will wake up countless time and she need me to pat her back to sleep quickly..
ic.. she should pass this stage soon. my girl will also wake up looking for her pacifier. once she found it, she will go back to slp.

ling.er

kayla10 Did ur hubby or u last time also like tat? I mean when baby time kick & move around when slp? I hear my MIL say that when my hubby was young he aso kick & move around when slp...
The funniest thing is when i go back to my mum place & stay my son can slp longest time & soundfully .. But in In law place hmmmm NO !!

adaddy

I seriously need advise or help from those mummies who experience their baby who doesnt need to sleep or even sleep very very little.

my baby girl, who is now 6mths old. she was very active since birth. but we still manage to tuck her to sleep. but when she reach 3mths plus, she will stay awake just because she wants to play. now getting worse.. her sleelping pattern,

wake up as early as 6am. i tried to pat her to let her get back to sleep. sometime it work sometime doesnt. 10am, cry because she is tired. i pat her to sleep. she slept for 15 to 20mins. wake up. stay awake until 1pm and then cry loud loud loud. because she is tired. but refuse to let me pat her to sleep. when my dad says hello to her she will stop crying and smile to my dad. and then continue crying and fall asleep eventually as i pat her. and wake up shortly if i continue to pat her.

same thing happen at night, goes to bed about 9 to 10pm. will wake up at about 1 to 2hrs. must faster run to her and pat her till she fell asleep. pat her constantly.......sometimes need to pat her for the entire night in order to let her sleep. sometimes will suddenly wake up and look and ppl to play with her. worse thing is that, she will wake up in the middle of the night and smile at me. means, want me to play with her.

i have try out all sorts of method. like johnson lavender bath and powder. even massage her, apply baby lavender vicks on her to help her sleep better. but all no use one.. she will keep moving and turning ard in the middle of the night.

why dont you tried to changed her daily pattern, such as, to play with her in the day and let the baby sleep earlier, e.g. 8-9pm,
so she would know which one is day (to play) and which one is night (to sleep)
thus, dont try to pat her all the time, once the baby is very comfortable of this pattern then they will continue to do it,
since the baby is quite big already (6 mths), try to see her, how she behaves, when she was crying but no one attend to her.

sometime, even a small baby, they are smart to get our attention by.. crying so loud :) [since no other things they could do though?]

not sure whether you feed her at night after she woke up and cry, but sometimes, when the baby cried at night, it doesnt mean that they are hungry,
use your 6th sense :) then you'll notice that when they are crying due to hungry and due to looking for attention, it will sound differently :)

icicle

Sounds like a classic case of overtiredness. Do you have a routine?

If she's up at 6am, putting her down to nap at 10am is too late, 6 months old can hardly stay awake for more than 2.5 to 3 hours. My 6 month old can only stay awake 2 hours 15 mins max.

If they are overtired, they jolt a lot in their sleep, and the big jolts wake them up and that's why they wake after 10 mins.

They are also more sociable at this age, my own baby smiles and coos a lot and is already crawling all over the house. She shows little signs of tiredness but I know I have to put her down for her nap when 2 hours are up. And yes, v v active baby too.

I also pat my little one, not very long, takes me less than 5 mins to put her to sleep. The key is not to pat all the time, pat till she's v drowsy and leave her to sleep on her own. If she wakes and cries, I pat her back to sleep. Sometimes I have to carry her but I make sure I don't pat till she's fully asleep. I don't believe in CIO, she's only a baby, they cry not to get at you, they are crying because they are tired or uncomfortable.

Overtiredness builds up, if a child does not sleep well day and night, they are more cranky and it's harder to get them to sleep and stay asleep and they need us to comfort them.

I would suggest putting your baby to nap earlier and see if she sleeps better. Have a low key activity 15 mins before nap/bedtime. Put her to bed earlier.

Also very importantly, when she wakes early from nap or in the night, do not make eye contact and do not talk to her. Just pat her back to sleep so she will learn it's still sleeptime. I remember when my mom was helping me out and my then 2 month old girl suddenly woke at 9.30pm (she sleeps at 7pm), I told her not to engage the baby and she didn't listen, she played and talked to her, giggles and all and then it took her more than an hour to get my gal back to sleep!

Last edited:

kayla10

I have tried all sorts before. None of them work on my baby girl. She can stay awake for 3hrs before getting into another nap. She give sign like rubbing her eyes. And will pick her up. She won't sleep herself if I don't pat her. Before tucking her onto bed, I'll leave her toss on the bed for 20mins before telling her it's bed time. Sometime she listen sometime not.

Everytime she wakes up she asked for milk. Cause she's drinking too little. 2oz every 2hrs! If I don't give her she will continues tossing on the bed. And she will definitely wake up herself and cries out loud.

icicle

I have tried all sorts before. None of them work on my baby girl. She can stay awake for 3hrs before getting into another nap. She give sign like rubbing her eyes. And will pick her up. She won't sleep herself if I dont't pat her. Before tucking her onto bed, I'll leave her toss on the bed for 20mins before telling her it's bed time. Sometime she listen sometime not.

Everytime she wakes up she asked for milk. Cause she's drinking too little. 2oz every 2hrs! If I dont't give her she will continues tossing on the bed. And she will definitely wake up herself and cries out loud.
Considering her age, 2 hours every 2 hours sounds like snacking to me, maybe that's why she's not sleeping well? How much solids are you giving her? After weaning, they need min. 18 - 20oz milk in 24 hour period. If she's taking less than that, you may have to cut back solids.

Mine drinks every 3.5 to 4 hours or so in the day plus 2 meals. Each feed is about 6oz over 4 feeds. She sleeps through 12 hours at night.

To me, it's ok to pat them to sleep. Every baby needs some sort of "signal" to tell them it's time for bed. My first one can go to sleep by herself after I read a couple of storybooks and leave her to play with them. I pat my 2nd one.

Honestly, I think 3 hours awake time is a bit too much at her age. A lot of babies don't give sleepy cues, esp at this age where they are more mobile and sociable. Both my kids never show obvious signs that they are ready for sleep. My first one gets more hyper and "happy" when she's tired, the 2nd one "sings"! I get relatives asking me if I'm sure they want to sleep when I bring them in for a nap because they look as if they want to play. But I get them to sleep within 10 mins.

I do think instilling a good routine does wonders for a happy baby and mummy. Try googling around for routine suggestions. I recommend "The Baby Whisperer". You can find the book in the library.

kayla10

Yap, sounds like she's snacking than anything. She's taking 3 solid a day. I tried giving her smaller portion, so that I can give her milk when she's hungry. But this only work for 6/10 times..

jaclyn13

Yap, sounds like she's snacking than anything. She's taking 3 solid a day. I tried giving her smaller portion, so that I can give her milk when she's hungry. But this only work for 6/10 times..
Did u seek help frm pd? My frez's son oso didn't slp alot since born out cos bb got colic problems tats y he can't slp much. Pd recomend using anticolic formula milk.

ctee

yes i think so too... must be the fish oil pills when we were pregnant... nowadays babies are now smarter and active. Thank goodness I'm not alone. just worried how to cope when I start working. My daughter is only 1 month and sleeps very little. need to be carried to make her sleep :(